DL Hall 2024

Billy F-Face3

On 3/29/2024 at 9:50 PM, oriolediehard said:

I think DL Hall or Mil management is smart. Pitchers today throw as hard as they can and they wind up needing TJ surgery. Hall throwing 92-93 preserves his arm and he goes deeper in the game. The O's need to take a page out of the Brewers book.

I agree but being this is the major leagues you would think this trend would have caught on by now with all the arm injuries.

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I agree but being this is the major leagues you would think this trend would have caught on by now with all the arm injuries.

Higher velocity is more effective.

I'm rooting for Hall but I question if he'll be more effective at 92 than 97.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I'm just not buying that he's throwing 92 mph simply because he's starting games. A reasonable expectation for that would be going from his usual 97ish to like 94-95, and occasionally rearing back for 97. Which is sort of what Grayson does by sitting 95-97 with the rare 99. 

He lost velocity due to the back injury, gained it back with the mid-season training the O's put him on, then... lost it again the next season? Seems weird. 

Edited by interloper

DL Hall had his 2nd start of the season Saturday night. He went 5.1 Innings, struck out 5, walked 2, and there were 3 ER's on him.

This wasn't a great start but it was better than his first, so we can consider it a step forward in his development on the season. He went the most amount of innings he's ever went as a starter at the Big League level.

Unfortunately the Brewers didn't win with this start. But it looks like Hall could be getting his feet under him so to speak, and I think the Brewers can expect another step forward with Hall's next start.

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2024 at 1:55 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Higher velocity is more effective.

I'm rooting for Hall but I question if he'll be more effective at 92 than 97.

He’s pretty effective now at 92-94. He walked two, but he has command of all his pitches. Both his CU and CH have good depth and movement.

Seven of the eight hits allowed (including a bunt base hit) was weak contact and the one hit hard was a ground ball through the 5-6 hole. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

He’s pretty effective now at 92-94. He walked two, but he has command of all his pitches. Both his CU and CH have good depth and movement.

Seven of the eight hits allowed (including a bunt base hit) was weak contact and the one hit hard was a ground ball through the 5-6 hole. 

He looked pretty good in both starts but no way do I believe he could be pitching at 96-97 but they told him to only throw at 93.    As @interlopersaid, you’d see some 96 or 97’s when he’s in a tight spot.   The velocity is down but he’s still got 3 or 4 ML pitches and his command has been decent.   Looks like a mid to back end arm to me but who knows.   One thing.  He better learn how to get out of the way when his catcher throws to second.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He looked pretty good in both starts but no way do I believe he could be pitching at 96-97 but they told him to only throw at 93.    As @interlopersaid, you’d see some 96 or 97’s when he’s in a tight spot.   The velocity is down but he’s still got 3 or 4 ML pitches and his command has been decent.   Looks like a mid to back end arm to me but who knows.   One thing.  He better learn how to get out of the way when his catcher throws to second.

Oh, I admit he’d be a lot more effective at a higher velocity, but I don’t think he’s getting back to that. 

There’s a lot of people here including myself at times who were not sure he’d be more than a bullpen piece. That still may be true over time, but even as a mid to back end arm he’ll provide value. 

• Upvote 2

Brief mention by Kevin Brown on the broadcast of his lower velocity and that the Brewers "don't know the reason". Not sure if it was discussed further as I didn't catch the whole game.

But that's definitely concerning. I wonder if his back injury affecting his workout routine was not the true culprit last year. In hindsight, it looks like the O's did a great job getting his velo back last year and then flipping him. Maybe they knew it would go poof again? It's fascinating to me. He does not look anything like the same pitcher. He even seems smaller/thinner too, but maybe I'm projecting. 

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nothing from that game made me regret the trade.  

It's been clear to me for awhile that DL Hall's best opportunity to shine and thrive in MLB is as a high leverage reliever.  Seems like he really doesn't want to go that route......and that's a shame.  I think Elias handled this situation pretty flawlessly.