Gunnar Henderson 2024

16 minutes ago, Malike said:

This has devolved. I post a random quote in another thread not in reply to anyone in particular and get told I'm abusive....

You can get help for that.  😀

I’m still trying to figure out the armor of God controversy.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Gunnar’s OAA is now -1

Is arm strength is also down to 81 percentile. I’m pretty sure that was at 89 not long ago.

You think he is throwing slower due to so many of his throws being errant recently? Maybe he is taking a bit off for accuracy? Maybe the confidence in his offensive game picking up will lead to him not feeling like he needs to be perfect on defense. Just seemed like a talented guy who was pressing to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GoldGlove21 said:

You think he is throwing slower due to so many of his throws being errant recently? Maybe he is taking a bit off for accuracy? Maybe the confidence in his offensive game picking up will lead to him not feeling like he needs to be perfect on defense. Just seemed like a talented guy who was pressing to me.

I don’t think any of us should be worried about his defense. He’s very good over there. 

Nice to see both Gunnar’s trademark patience and EVs at the plate return over the last week or so.  It has also coincided with some nice aggressiveness on the basepaths, stretching singles into doubles, and going first to home on XBHs.

At what point does it become a concern that he has only hit 1 home rune since the All Star break?  He is still hitting the ball hard and has two 3-hit games in a row now,  but is the lack of hone runs a concern?

Santander has been carrying the team for about 3 weeks now.  Mountcastle hasn't hit a homerun in forever.  Henderson, Mountcastle, and Rutschmann have got to start helping this offense with the long flies at some point.

10 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

At what point does it become a concern that he has only hit 1 home rune since the All Star break?  He is still hitting the ball hard and has two 3-hit games in a row now,  but is the lack of hone runs a concern?

Santander has been carrying the team for about 3 weeks now.  Mountcastle hasn't hit a homerun in forever.  Henderson, Mountcastle, and Rutschmann have got to start helping this offense with the long flies at some point.

It's not for me. He's still hitting the ball hard and has been getting on base frequently. I like that he's been willing to go the other way once again too. 

His power is there and he'll go on another tear soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The fumble was on Rosengarten.  He let Chris Jones to the outside when Faalele was supposed to be helping him to the inside.  Really awful play by Rosengarten.
    • Did you think he was hurting the team at shortstop in the first half?
    • I was trying to figure out who Jackson looks like then it hit me - the vkeyboardist for Nena  
    • Except Hyde has done EXACTLY just that - he plays waiver wire nobodies like Rivera and Maton over Coby Mayo. And a trash trade acquisition in Jimenez (who should be on waivers) over Mayo at the DH spot as well. And Hyde played a former waiver wire pickup in O'Hearn over Kjerstad. As if O'Hearn is some sort of established star.  O'Hearn has a .658 OPS over the past 30 days, and a .729 OPS in the 2nd half this season after a .756 in the 2nd half in 2023 - so he's had two straight seasons of significant 2nd half declines. O'Hearn doesn't deserve to be treated as some sort of established commodity, but Hyde does so to the team's detriment. Not playing and developing a top 10 hitting prospect in all of baseball in Mayo is irresponsible and egregiously terrible roster management by Elias and Hyde. Especially considering awful players like Rivera and Jimenez are getting playing time over him.  
    • Again, it couldn’t have been said better.   Gunnar is in his second year and will more than likely get better at everything he does as a baseball player.  Which is something to look forward to.  
    • One good Bud Norris year out of Rogers would be nice.  Two would be amazing.
    • Except he really isn't hurting the team at SS.  Again, he's an 8+ WAR player this year.  I don't know why anyone would want to argue for moving him off a position where he's performing at an MVP level.  This season is already as valuable as Ripken's '83 MVP season and more valuable than any other season Ripken had except 1984 and his monster 1991 campaign. I saw Cal play at shortstop, too.  And I think when we all think of Cal at shortstop, we think of the refined version....the guy that made 3 errors in a season (and somehow lost the Gold Glove to Ozzie f'ing Guillen) and the guy that had a whole chapter dedicated to him in George Will's "Men at Work." You neglected to respond to the idea that Gunnar can get better at the position.  There's a lot to like with him defensively already, but he's not a fully finished product and I don't think anyone here is arguing that he is.  I suspect that if you took Cal in his second season and matched that up with Gunnar, you'd see some similarities.  I also suspect that Gunnar isn't the defender that he'll be in 5 or 6 years from now, just like Ripken wasn't the best defender at SS in his early seasons. Gunnar is a 5 tool player.  There's nothing that he can't do on a baseball field and I'm sure if you put him in a "traditional power position" like a corner outfield spot, he'd be just fine. But I find it funny that you want to be called old fashioned, yet here we are discussing Cal Ripken, the guy that broke the mold for what a shortstop can be and turned it into a power position.  Ripken was ultimate anti-traditionalist of the position and responsible for the slew of power hitting shortstops that came in after him.  And quite frankly, I don't know why we're talking about power when we're debating defense.
  • Popular Contributors