Gunnar Henderson 2024

I've been impressed by Gunnar's defense the last few days. Not sure how many highlight-type plays he's made, but I feel like he consistently makes decently challenging plays look smooth and easy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I've been impressed by Gunnar's defense the last few days. Not sure how many highlight-type plays he's made, but I feel like he consistently makes decently challenging plays look smooth and easy.

Great glove, and too many throws with plenty of time making Mounty reach for them.

On 4/30/2024 at 4:21 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

People do need to realize that the season used to start much later than it now does.  Frank Robinson hit 38 homers as a 20-year old rookie, but the season didn’t even start until April 17.  I’d bet there are some other players 22 or younger who hit 10 homers in the first 29 games of the year, but the 29 games weren’t played by April 30.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

People do need to realize that the season used to start much later than it now does.  Frank Robinson hit 38 homers as a 20-year old rookie, but the season didn’t even start until April 17.  I’d bet there are some other players 22 or younger who hit 10 homers in the first 29 games of the year, but the 29 games weren’t played by April 30.

Wait are you telling me they used to play 154 games or something?

3 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

Wait are you telling me they used to play 154 games or something?

And even fewer at times!

On a quick look, Mel Ott hit 10 homers in his team’s first 29 games at age 20.   

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hey now, the MLB is finally actually trying to promote their young stars.  Let them cherry pick whatever stats they want.

• Upvote 1

Just now, yark14 said:

Hey now, the MLB is finally actually trying to promote their young stars.  Let them cherry pick whatever stats they want.

To be clear, it’s an impressive accomplishment.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DenPA2002 said:

Do you think Gunnar us going to try and play 162 games? Do you think Cal's record ever crossed his mind? I am sure it did since I see them both in that commercial.

No, I don’t think he’s got any fantasies about Cal’s record.  Might he play all 162 this year?   I’m sure it could happen, but if I were Hyde I’d prefer to give him a day off every month or so once the weather heats up.

27 minutes ago, DenPA2002 said:

Do you think Gunnar us going to try and play 162 games? Do you think Cal's record ever crossed his mind? I am sure it did since I see them both in that commercial.

I don't think it's possible now with the way teams place value on players getting the occasional rest day. I don't see any future player even coming close to challenging Cal's consecutive games played record.