Colton Cowser 2024

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Couldn’t make contact on the lefty in the ninth but he did make him work a little bit and while he looked awful on the first pitch, he hung in there for the at bat.

I think he was guessing on the called 3rd strike and froze on that pitch.

Got the base hit earlier. He needs to play vs more lefties so that he can see more and more of them. 

I’m a believer in Cowser, but I really didn’t like him up there in that spot…..was an invitation for weak contact and a game ending DP. But I agree, he needs regular PT.

I have a real soft spot for Santander/Mullins/Hays, but this year with them feels like the Beatles going in to record Abbey Road…..the era is ending. Cowser/Kjerstad/Stowers/Norby are all MLB ready outfielders. This logjam is nutty. 

Edited by UMDTerrapins

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Swing was so bad against Smith the Royals guys said he made up his mind to swing before the pitch was even thrown. He definitely got schooled by a crafty lefty. It happens.

He made up his mind to swing before the 0-0 pitch, and he made up his mind to not swing before the 2 strike pitch.

All young players have ups/downs. This time last year people wanted Gunnar sent down. Westburg hasn’t been all sunshine and rainbows, but yet has a walk off and is a top 5 hitter vs LHP. 

Cowser is going to have his growing pains. He got us started tonight. He also struck out in a key AB. Cowser will be ok. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

All young players have ups/downs. This time last year people wanted Gunnar sent down. Westburg hasn’t been all sunshine and rainbows, but yet has a walk off and is a top 5 hitter vs LHP. 

Cowser is going to have his growing pains. He got us started tonight. He also struck out in a key AB. Cowser will be ok. 

Gunnar is down below .800 OPS. The sophomore slump is kicking in!

23 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He made up his mind to swing before the 0-0 pitch, and he made up his mind to not swing before the 2 strike pitch.

I think he committed to not swinging *at a curve.  He saw it well previous two.  I think he saw the curve out of the hand and committed to not swinging.  He threw 4 curves in the AB, strike 3 was the only one in the zone and it was right on the edge. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think he committed to not swinging *at a curve.  He saw it well previous two.  I think he saw the curve out of the hand and committed to not swinging.  He threw 4 curves in the AB, strike 3 was the only one in the zone and it was right on the edge. 

Lucky for the O's he was frozen pizza, otherwise he likely GIDP on that pitch, it was a good one.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Malike said:

Swing was so bad against Smith the Royals guys said he made up his mind to swing before the pitch was even thrown. He definitely got schooled by a crafty lefty. It happens.

Cowser is not good against left-handed breaking balls. He wasn't in the minors, and he's not going to be against them in the majors any time soon.

There was no doubt he was sitting dead red on the 0-0 for some reason. 

Obviously no one wants Cowser up in that situation against that pitcher, but the way the bench was set up, only O'Hearn and Kemp were in the game and things start getting dicey defensively if O'Hearn has to come in for Cowser if the game ends up tied going into the 10th. Then again, O'Hearn is not exactly known for hitting left-handers either. 

This might be a good reason to have had Nevin instead of Kemp on the final roster. Have we found a reason why Kemp is on this roster besides keeping Holliday down until they gain the extra year of control?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

and things start getting dicey defensively if O'Hearn has to come in for Cowser if the game ends up tied going into the 10th. Then again, O'Hearn is not exactly known for hitting left-handers either. 

Defense would have been fine.

Mullins PR for Santander 

If O’Hearn pinch hits for Cowser, he goes to RF and Mullins to CF.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Not trying to be argumentative but do you think that Cowser is so mentally weak that he would decide not to swing before the pitch with 2 strikes on him?

He got beat with a fastball for strike two.  Probably looking for another one and frozen on the breaking pitch.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Not trying to be argumentative but do you think that Cowser is so mentally weak that he would decide not to swing before the pitch with 2 strikes on him?

He got beat with a fastball for strike two.  Probably looking for another one and frozen on the breaking pitch.

Mentally weak?  Why are you making this some emotional thing?

41 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Cowser is not good against left-handed breaking balls. He wasn't in the minors, and he's not going to be against them in the majors any time soon.

Obviously no one wants Cowser up in that situation against that pitcher, but the way the bench was set up, only O'Hearn and Kemp were in the game and things start getting dicey defensively if O'Hearn has to come in for Cowser if the game ends up tied going into the 10th. Then again, O'Hearn is not exactly known for hitting left-handers either. 

This might be a good reason to have had Nevin instead of Kemp on the final roster. Have we found a reason why Kemp is on this roster besides keeping Holliday down until they gain the extra year of control?

Pinch runner in extra innings.  Signot’s cpu says O’Hearn in RF some. Kemp at 2B some. Kemp as a pinch runner threat in the 10ish extra inning games we play. 

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I know it would not benefit the O’s, but I’m actively hoping that Holliday gets called up in May or whenever that extra year gets looked in, goes absolutely bonkers to win ROY and no pick comes back. 

Then again, I think Holliday will be up next weekend.