Colton Cowser 2024

22 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Either you’re being sarcastic or you need a pick me up because that’s a hilariously “glass half empty” view (if looking at a glass that is actually full?). Read #9 on this list if you want to feel better.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-trade-value-nos-1-10/

Projection systems still think Adley’s good for a 127 wRC+. And even at 120, that’s fantastic. What’s suppressing Adley’s WAR - to still a 4+ WAR pace, mind you - is his defensive metrics are down compared to his first two years (which are very fickle/volatile, even moreso for catchers), and the Orioles’ undying devotion to starting McCann against every lefty SP and DHing Adley. He has exactly 1/3 of his games at DH this year.  A big reason to hold onto Basallo, as if we needed another one.

I get it, but in no way should Adley be the same fWAR as Cowser considering his position, his bat, 2nd full year, etc. He's hitting under .600 OPS for July. It's a problem for this team right now that they need to solve. I think it was a huge mistake messing with his approach, whether that's on him or the organization. Should have just let him be himself. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I get it, but in no way should Adley be the same fWAR as Cowser considering his position, his bat, 2nd full year, etc. He's hitting under .600 OPS for July. It's a problem for this team right now that they need to solve. I think it was a huge mistake messing with his approach, whether that's on him or the organization. Should have just let him be himself. 

DH definitely hurts Adley’s value.  It’s a really poor way of using him.

It makes no sense to have a franchise catcher and not even catch him 100 games.  It’s just a poor use of the roster and it’s giving way too many at bats to a player, McCann, who is arguably not a ML player anymore.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

At this point I really wonder if this is Mullins last year here. Cowser has his flaws but he can play CF. Where someone like Mayo winds up playing matters. 

Unless he has a monster last few months, I’m not sure why you even have doubt about Mullins’ status.  He is 100% gone at this point. No way they pay him 8-11M next year to be what he is, especially when you have better and cheaper options.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Unless he has a monster last few months, I’m not sure why you even have doubt about Mullins’ status.  He is 100% gone at this point. No way they pay him 8-11M next year to be what he is, especially when you have better and cheaper options.

Only reason to me would be they really like Cowser playing LF at Camden. 

Obviously could look elsewhere to find a CF.  

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

At this point I really wonder if this is Mullins last year here. Cowser has his flaws but he can play CF. Where someone like Mayo winds up playing matters. 

Mullins is going to make ~$10m in arbitration. Next year is his last year if they pay him contract wise. He's basically been deployed only against righties and as a PR/late inning DR where needed. He still has his speed on the bases. I don't think Mullins is the type of person that bucks the trendline of declining offense. He reminds me a lot of Jackie Bradley Jr in that regard.

Do you want to spend $10m for a backup OF, pinch runner that really can only hit against righties and not particularly well? If Elias can trade him and get value now a la Trey Mancini, I think we'd need to do it. 

Edited by LookitsPuck

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Cowser just made a leaping catch against the wall and then a diving catch towards the infield in the same inning. 

I think he's got Camden LF figured out. 

Both were terrific plays.  I actually think the ball coming in was the harder play.  If he doesn’t react instantly there’s no chance to catch that.   

Cowser looks more natural in LF, particularly home at OP@CY.  His jumps in all directions, in/back/down line/toward left center all appear superior to the initial reads he gets on balls while playing CF.  At least when watching the games on TV.

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Anyone wanting to trade this guy is crazy imo.  He has already shown he can hit.  And he is a very ++ fielder.

For a rookie?   Really good.

Again....for you guys who have continually downgraded CC all year?   

What say you? Because it seems ridiculous 

2 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

He must have a loyal girlfriend 

2 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

He must have a loyal girlfriend 

You are one of the poo poo'ers of CC.  And that is fine.

You are an anti CC person.   You either want to send Colton C back to the minors or trade him.  And trust me I know that you have written this.

The internet remembers.

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

I believe he is leading all AL rookies in fWar-2.7.

He is. And that number will rise with todays defensive gems and HR.

CC is just ahead of Wells 2.5 fWAR, 2.2 Gil,  1.8 Mason Miller.