Keegan Akin 2024

Frobby

In the early going, Akin has looked the best he’s looked since the first half of 2022.   Maybe better than that.  In 3 appearances, covering 3.1 innings, he’s allowed 2 hits, walked none, struck out 5.   One of the two hits he’s allowed was a routine pop fly that Hays lost in the sun.   Overall, he’s been great so far.  Also, I enjoy watching him when he’s on a roll because he works incredibly fast.  

18 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Encouraging to see. Curious if will be deployed as one inning leverage reliever or multi-inning guy he was in 2022.

He was a multi-inning guy in 2022 because we didn't have starters getting over 5 innings very often. I think Hyde would prefer to use guy for multiple innings as rarely as possible.

Keegan Akin was what I really enjoyed watching from the Pirates series. The rest of the series was mostly a snooze fest as an Orioles fan but when he came in and started to dominate at a fast pace, I got a little more excited.

Two more scoreless innings from Akin tonight, with 4 more K’s.  The other two outs were on nice catches by Cowser up against the Green Monster.  So that’s 6.1 scoreless so far, with 9 K’s.  He’s lifting really well and throwing the best changeup we’ve seen from him.  

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t want Akin’s good performance this weekend to get drowned out by the two losses.  He came in Friday night with one out and the bases loaded in the 9th, and got a strikeout and an infield pop up to preserve the tie.  Then yesterday he threw two scoreless innings without allowing a baserunner.  Overall he’s had a very nice start to his season.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t want Akin’s good performance this weekend to get drowned out by the two losses.  He came in Friday night with one out and the bases loaded in the 9th, and got a strikeout and an infield pop up to preserve the tie.  Then yesterday he threw two scoreless innings without allowing a baserunner.  Overall he’s had a very nice start to his season.

Akin may fall victim to going to AAA because he has an option.  With Means and Bradish back someone has to go.  Perez is looming too.  Will we keep 4 lefties?  Will Akin be one of them?

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Akin may fall victim to going to AAA because he has an option.  With Means and Bradish back someone has to go.  Perez is looming too.  Will we keep 4 lefties?  Will Akin be one of them?

I can't see the O's sending one of their most dependable relievers to Norfolk because he has options.  I would take Akin over Perez right now.