Samuel Basallo 2024

Just Regular

Walked his last time up.

It was Holliday and Kjerstad representing the Orioles in the Futures Game last year, but I think Basallo's our likeliest attendee, maybe with Mayo if he's healthy enough.

Hopefully Elias gives the exhibition organizers the face-saving reason why Jackson Holliday "can't" be there again.

Futures Game 5 weeks from today - that's still some runway to apply pressure before a natural intermission in the season.

Beavers off last night - the big night put both their OPS's in the low .800's.

It'll be the same Coby Mayo Statcast fun when he gets there, and for now we can just wonder how hard he hit the ball last night.     

8 hours ago, accinfo said:

If he stays hot does Basallo get the promotion to AAA after the All Star game?  

Possible, but I think they’ll wait until early/mid-August.  Depends exactly how hot, I suppose.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I have to repeat my comment from Chuck’s game report thread:

“A bat flip…and one that clears the video board in right field!”   Wow, that’s quite a bat flip!   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have to repeat my comment from Chuck’s game report thread:

“A bat flip…and one that clears the video board in right field!”   Wow, that’s quite a bat flip!   

I didn’t laugh in the recap thread and it still didn’t tickle my funny bone.  Sorry.  😀

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Holliday up here and Basallo to AAA…before July 1

I’ll take the over in both cases.  I like Basallo’s chances better than Hollidays.   

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2024 at 9:26 AM, RZNJ said:

He got rewarded for swinging at a ball at his ankles.  He might also be able to hit a fastball up around his neck for a home run.  If he consistently swings at those types of pitches it will be to his detriment over the long run.  

If a guy can hit breaking balls at his ankles for home runs, I don't know if that's a bad thing. I get what you are saying, but some guys have incredible plate coverage to include out of the zone. Those guys are scary because they can hurt you even on good pitches or pitches out of the zone.

Now if his damage rate swinging at those is not good, then he needs to tighten that up, but there's nothing wrong with a guy who can crush balls out of the zone.

On 6/2/2024 at 10:41 AM, Frobby said:

Could be.  Mayo had 347 PA in AA last year at 1.026 OPS before they promoted him, and that was after having 145 PA in AA the year before.  That’s why I think they’ll take their time.  Also (and I know you won’t like this) I think they will want to give Handley and the new guy Hunt as much time as possible, to decide if either is a candidate to be the backup C next season until Bassllo is ready.  

In any event, I hope Basallo does go off and gives them a challenging decision to make.  

Unless Basallo is not challenged at all in AA, I think they will keep him there for most of the season. Partly because of the reason you stated with wanting see Hunt/Handley but also because they may just want to give him that solid AA season of at bats. Now, do I think Hunt/Handley block Basallo if they think he's no longer being challenged at AA, nope, they bring him up.