Observations from tonight's blowout

DocJJ

16 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

See, I think you're reading it wrong. He says "this" team (Orioles) has a ton of minor league depth. Which is an undeniable fact.

Then he says it's an exciting time for "them". I cleary think he's referring to the guys at Norfolk.

The "could be a scary team" is Burnes talking about the Orioles long term success due to the stockpile of talent in the minors.

I don't see any of that as him not feeling like he's an Oriole.

He’s also been quite influential to some of the other guys on the staff by all accounts. Doesn’t seem like that selfish of a player. 

30 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

See, I think you're reading it wrong. He says "this" team (Orioles) has a ton of minor league depth. Which is an undeniable fact.

Then he says it's an exciting time for "them". I cleary think he's referring to the guys at Norfolk.

The "could be a scary team" is Burnes talking about the Orioles long term success due to the stockpile of talent in the minors.

I don't see any of that as him not feeling like he's an Oriole.

Definitely could see that read but can’t imagine anyone on the team not saying we at some point in there. 

I saw that bush league play- the Brewers catcher was excited by the strikeout of the Oriole and threw the ball up into the upper deck.   I've never seen that.  Brewers were sure rubbing it in our faces last night. 

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

I saw that bush league play- the Brewers catcher was excited by the strikeout of the Oriole and threw the ball up into the upper deck.   I've never seen that.  Brewers were sure rubbing it in our faces last night. 

3 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

It's unclear what caused the BS between McCann and Adames. I think what Contreras did may be a part of it because McCann was talking to him as well. The way Contreras came out of the dungout when it all started was like a guy who instigated some garbage and wanted to get into the mess, but that's just my own speculation. Hyde said after the game he was going to keep the reason for the beef in house.

I had never seen something like that before.  He rifled it to the upper deck.  It ended the inning, i know, but not who the batter was.  I was out in LF under cover and said to my daughter that he was lucky he wasn't tossed.  It was shocking to me that "celebration" has arrived at that level of disrespect.  I figured the benches cleared later as a result of both teams getting mouthy after it.

The cursed jerseys strike again.  I wish it were possible to infiltrate equipment storage, steal them, and take them out to a field somewhere and fuel a bonfire with them. 

We play like a beer league softball team nearly every time we wear them.  

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

So just to be clear, I don't necessarily think Irvin is a quality major league starter and I would prefer him in the pen as well. 

The point was that I believe Wells fills a need more than Irvin because Wells has some late inning, high leverage experience. 

The preference we all probably have is that they were both in the bullpen vs the rotation, but obviously they're in the rotation due to injuries. Both are better pitchers than they've been so far in 2024.

Tony, I trust your evaluation expertise much more than I trust my ability to evaluate players.

But with Irvin’s stuff/pitching profile, I just don’t see it. Low 90’s fastball, does not posses a plus change up, movement on sinker yes but lacks command. He does have a good curveball. But in my opinion, it is extremely difficult in this day and age of the launch angle approach by most hitters, with only one good pitch, especially when you do not possess good command. 

With that kind of fastball velo, you better have pinpoint command or incredible deception.

I just don’t see anything that he can consistently rely upon to go 3 trips through a decent MLB order. 

Even when he has successful starts, there is usually a ton of traffic on the bases.

1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:

The cursed jerseys strike again.  I wish it were possible to infiltrate equipment storage, steal them, and take them out to a field somewhere and fuel a bonfire with them. 

We play like a beer league softball team nearly every time we wear them.  

I respect your right to be superstitious. But if we execute our pitches and take good approaches as the dish, we can wear silk pajamas or business suits and still be successful. The uniform have ZERO to do with how we perform.

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I respect your right to be superstitious. But if we execute our pitches and take good approaches as the dish, we can wear silk pajamas or business suits and still be successful. The uniform have ZERO to do with how we perform.

Superstition is such a funny phenomenon.  Correlation (losing in the City Connect Jersey) does not imply causation (the Jersey causes us to play poorly).  

And yet I don't think I'll go to see a game in person ever again- They get completely blown off the field by the 3rd inning every time I go to a game in person.  I know that my presence does not affect how they play, and yet I can't help but think whenever I attend it's "guaranteed loss night" at Camden Yards....

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We've been together on this board for quite some time, so I'm kind of surprised that you thought I was being serious in any way  😆

7 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

Oh boy. Do we really need to go down that road? Are we going to compare Povich & Holliday and get into the weeds of why their situation is not the same?

Grayson Rodriguez had 69.2 AAA innings when he made his major league debut, DL Hall had 76.2, Kyle Bradish had 101.2, Dean Kremer had 19.1, Keegan Akin (a starter at the time) had 112.1.  

I don’t think they’ll be in a big hurry with Povich.   If he’s dominating in June and we still don’t have the big league rotation sorted out, he could be an option about then.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Grayson Rodriguez had 69.2 AAA innings when he made his major league debut, DL Hall had 76.2, Kyle Bradish had 101.2, Dean Kremer had 19.1, Keegan Akin (a starter at the time) had 112.1.  

I don’t think they’ll be in a big hurry with Povich.   If he’s dominating in June and we still don’t have the big league rotation sorted out, he could be an option about then.

I Hope So GIF by The Suicide Squad

9 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Most of that plus war was accumulated in 2022 and 40 days in 2023.   He ended up hitting .233 last year.  For your CF and former leadoff guy?  Who more than likely won't be here much longer?

Nah.  I'm good.

As for Holliday imo he should stay here and take his lumps.   Who else do we want here?  Kemp.

Again nah.  I'm good.

I would much rather suck with our guys who will be here for the next 5 years rather than suck with guys who won't.

Uh… you think they’re going to suck?

Why?

21 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Wells looked pretty bad.  I thought he threw harder.  His fastball was 91-92.  He hung a few sliders and got torched.  I saw his other start was pretty good, so I don't know if he just had an off night, or if he is as bad as he looked tonight.  But he did not look like a capable MLB starter tonight.  If he and Irvin continue to stink, we have real problems because I don't know who else can start?  We may see Means again at some point, I hope, but this is the most glaring problem right now...

Heasley looked beyond bad.  He may have pitched himself out of the MLB tonight.  That's too bad....

The Brewers pitcher looked really good.  96 MPH heat and his slider had every single Oriole fooled all night long.  11 Ks I think...   and it sucked to see Joey Ortiz nail 3 hits off us.... (although we have Corbin Burnes, so I guess that's good.)

Cowser is the only guy hitting for the O's right now.  Boy- he's locked in.  Confident.  Solid contact.  I hate the "Moo-ing" but I think we're stuck with it...  The rest of the team is collectively struggling at the dish.  Hays looks totally lost.  Westburg and Henderson are hitting .200 (although with occasional well-timed home runs).  Sadly, Holliday looks completely overwhelmed...  I sat next to his dad tonight.  That had to be tough to watch.  

Hitting is always streaky and I think some guys may heat up.  The starting pitching has me concerned.  After Burnes and Rodriguez, I don' think we have enough...

I'd seriously think about Norby, Kjerstad and Mayo very soon...this team simply cant put together good at bats with RISP and less than 2 outs...

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'd seriously think about Norby, Kjerstad and Mayo very soon...this team simply cant put together good at bats with RISP and less than 2 outs...

It feels like the guys that know they are on their way out— Hays, Mateo, and Urias are almost depressed.  It’s reasonable that they would be.  I hope they get over it. If not, may be time to go full youth.