John Sterling retires at 85

SteveA

Effective immediately.   He did the first 10 games of the season then was off the past week, so his last broadcast was April 7.

I can't say I was ever a fan, his bombastic home run calls and drawn out "theeeeeeeee  Yankeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees win" got on my nerves.

But I probably have listened to he and Suzyn Waldman do more games than any other non-Oriole announcers.   My parents retired to New England (then later New York state) in 1986 and I literally made hundreds of trips up that way to visit them until  my mother passed away in 2022 (my father in 2004).   And the WFAN signal was strong, if they were playing the Orioles I would of course listen, and if I couldn't get the Orioles, then on my drives and when I was staying up later than my early-to-bed parents on visits, I would listen as well.

https://www.mlb.com/news/john-sterling-retires

Of course, my first thoughts were "uh oh, the timing of this doesn't sound good," for health reasons.  Hope he's not ill. 

That being said, I will not miss his "theeeee yankees wiiiinnnn" at all.  In any way.  Not one iota. 😑

• Upvote 1

I kinda enjoyed John and Suzyn’s shtick, it was far more interesting than most of the blandness out there. Plus I got to turn the feed off in disgust at the start of his Yankeees win chirp. I think Kevin Brown channels some of Sterling—-in a less endearing way (at least for an old like me).