Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

1 hour ago, Wavetrapper said:

I was a catcher for many years.  It’s not hard at all and you can definitely steal some strikes 

the other thing that drives me nuts is how many catchers crouch with no runners on.  Go to one knee and save your knees!!

Since you were a catcher, how would back problems impact someone catching. What catching things would stress your back more?  I'm making a wild guess those things are what Adley has regressed on like framing low pitches but would like your informed opinion.

I wonder if Hyde will stick with "he's great" like last week if he gets another direct question some gaggle how Adley is doing.

Should we flop these next few games, I will wonder if the injured list layover becomes more of an option for whatever it is they don't want to talk about on a day to day basis.

Things I'm seeing with my eyeballs that concern me about Adley:

McCann has much better framing skills.

Adley is not blocking very well right now, doesn't get his chest over balls in the dirt.

McCann and Rutchman have similar CS% but I feel like I see more competitive throws from McCann

McCann got hit in the face with a FB while Adley makes cringe worthy TikTok videos

It is brutal watching both Catchers hit as both only have 2 HRs since the All Star Break, but McCann's came with half the ABs and they were both absolute bombs.

He seems to have a lot of trouble getting to the inside pitch batting LH. Lots of towards the handle flyballs/pop ups

Seems to be a better RH hitter, but they typically start McCann against LHP. I would like to see Adley swing RH more in an attempt to get him out of the slump.

If Adley and McCann are both going to put up Chirionos numbers, do you start putting McCann behind the plate more often if the defense is better?

20 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Things I'm seeing with my eyeballs that concern me about Adley:

McCann has much better framing skills.

Adley is not blocking very well right now, doesn't get his chest over balls in the dirt.

McCann and Rutchman have similar CS% but I feel like I see more competitive throws from McCann

McCann got hit in the face with a FB while Adley makes cringe worthy TikTok videos

It is brutal watching both Catchers hit as both only have 2 HRs since the All Star Break, but McCann's came with half the ABs and they were both absolute bombs.

He seems to have a lot of trouble getting to the inside pitch batting LH. Lots of towards the handle flyballs/pop ups

Seems to be a better RH hitter, but they typically start McCann against LHP. I would like to see Adley swing RH more in an attempt to get him out of the slump.

If Adley and McCann are both going to put up Chirionos numbers, do you start putting McCann behind the plate more often if the defense is better?

Adley was apparently one of the best framers the last two years. What the hell happened?

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Since you were a catcher, how would back problems impact someone catching. What catching things would stress your back more?  I'm making a wild guess those things are what Adley has regressed on like framing low pitches but would like your informed opinion.

Being a catcher puts your body in an unnatural position for extended periods of time. Just the squat itself, puts strain and pressure on the lower back and knees.   This is why I don’t understand why more catchers don’t go down to one knee when they don’t have to worry about throwing.    If you were suffering from lower back pain, almost everything associated with catching would be difficult- crouching, quickly getting up to throw, reaching or lunging.  Catching is a difficult position both physically and mentally.  No time off there, you’re involved in every pitch/play.