Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

On 8/20/2024 at 9:02 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Not sure what square % and sweet spot % measure, but I'm guessing when you combine them with low bat speed you end up with low exit velocities and a lot of weak contact.  The fact that they are red may not matter.

LA sweet spot is the percentage of your batted balls that are between 8 and 32 degrees.

Squared up is the percentage of your batted balls that are at least 80% of the maximum theoretical exit velocity based on your bat speed.  Low bat speed but high squared up/launch angle means that the player is sacrificing max power for quality contact, aka line drive/lower flyball contact on the barrel of the bat.

Adley is a bit closer to Luis Arraez in that he swings the bat slower but makes good contact.  Not really someone with a great power profile.  The main reason you don't like to count on an extension with him is because catching is unpredictable and you don't know if the wear and tear is going to catch up to him.

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

As someone who has dealt w/ back pain for a long time, I'm wondering if the strain on his back is why Adley has hit so poorly when playing catcher this year.  Just saying it's a possible reason.  The catcher position and what a catcher has to do seems like it would aggravate any back pain/problems Adley has.  I'm wondering if some kind of back surgery is in Adley's offseason schedule?

How can you jump to that conclusion when there has not be a whisper that Adley's dealing with any type of back issue? If he was hurt, wouldn't they know it by now? Nobody wants to just call a spade a spade, but our young "generational" talent has been a wee bit overrated. 

Rutschman is really hurting this team right now.   There are many guys not hitting right now,  but Rutschman is batting near the top of the order and should be providing much more than he does.   Henderson is quickly catching him as the biggest offensive disappointment on the team in the last month and a half.   The big names need to show up in big games. 

1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

How can you jump to that conclusion when there has not be a whisper that Adley's dealing with any type of back issue? If he was hurt, wouldn't they know it by now? Nobody wants to just call a spade a spade, but our young "generational" talent has been a wee bit overrated. 

He missed a few games with lower back pain. It wasn't a whisper, the team said it. 

One of the hallmarks of a bad manager is not moving a player struggling as much as Adley has for as long as he has down in the lineup. 

Adley should be hitting 6th or lower until he heats up or until whatever injury he has - if it's a back injury or anything else - improves. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

One of the hallmarks of a bad manager is not moving a player struggling as much as Adley has for as long as he has down in the lineup. 

Adley should be hitting 6th or lower until he heats up or until whatever injury he has - if it's a back injury or anything else - improves. 

I think he did have a while hitting lower a few weeks ago, but recently has been brought back into the 2 spot. 

I don't mind him up there against LHPs but I agree, Adley should be down in the 6th/7th range against RHPs right now. 

I’m calling him Wieters from here on out unless he warrants a change.

And like Wieters, I’m expecting a furious finish to the end that’ll leave him with a respectable stat line that masks the awful stretches we’ve had to experience. 

Doubt any Gold Gloves are on the horizon for Adley though. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m calling him Wieters from here on out unless he warrants a change.

And like Wieters, I’m expecting a furious finish to the end that’ll leave him with a respectable stat line that masks the awful stretches we’ve had to experience. 

Doubt any Gold Gloves are on the horizon for Adley though. 

How the mighty have fallen (in the eyes of us fans). No more sacred cows left on this team (except possibly the bovine with the inside track).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Good stuff there

This is really good.  I am starting to fear with the lack of adjustments on offense and things like this with framing that the Orioles are starting to fall behind on the latest and greatest offensive and defensive techniques. I hope our coaches are continuing to develop and evolve vs being stuck in what was the cutting edge two years ago. 

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Good stuff there

Really good stuff. Thanks for posting. Adley needs to address this in the offseason.  Now we can see why I guy like Burnes that has great control wanted to throw to McCann.

Is Adley part to blame for Burnes’ recent struggles?  Burnes can’t throw low

Edited by sportsfan8703

Since July 1:

188/277/292 slash line

252 wOBA and a 62 wRC+

Walk rate is 10.7% and his K rate is also 10.7%, which is very good.

BABIP is only 193, so there is definitely some bad luck there. that said, his EV is just under 87. For the season, his EV is 88.5 and that puts him in the 38 percentile…so, while the BaBiP is down to much, he’s also not hitting the ball hard.

Somehow his fWAR has gone up to 2.9 but just an awful second half of the season for Adley. He needs to have a big September.

I really believe the team feeds off of him and Gunnar and Gunnar (except for a few game stretch) hasn’t done much at all in the second half and Adley has been terrible.

They need these 2 to get going.