Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

45 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

No it is not! Show me a 230 IP starting pitcher and you will not get the same sample, except for a few anomalies or from before the 1990 era of baseball. Not one season in The last 24 years.

I also think you are struggling with the fact that games caught and games played are two very different things. Adley is not being overused as a catcher.

10 hours ago, Malike said:

Okay, I'll show you 230 IP starting pitchers too.

image.thumb.png.c7a8f4e7d1d411c9819ccdb364d9aeaf.png

Was wrong about the SP, but it has been 8 years since we had a 230 IP. Adley is definitely being used more than most catchers, and going back to last century does. It change that

10 hours ago, Malike said:

I also think you are struggling with the fact that games caught and games played are two very different things. Adley is not being overused as a catcher.

Willing to debate that! I’m glad it’s 110 games starting on the field verses 130.

27 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Adley is definitely being used more than most catchers, and going back to last century does. It change that

Better players get used more often than players who aren’t as good.  Most catchers aren’t good enough hitters to be used as DH regularly when they’re not catching.   I thibk it’s about that simple.  

I've always been wary of the injury bug and its effect on elite catchers. I'm in the camp that says ride him hard and don't extend him. Get as much value out of his time before FA. Spend the money extending Henderson, Holiday and Cowser. 

Just a random thing, but did anyone else notice that Adley was NOT pleased on his HBP last night? That might be the first overtly negative emotion I've seen him elicit. It must have really hurt because otherwise I'm not sure why he was so pissed. Seemed to get him in the "meat" of the thigh area. Anyway, just thought it was funny to see him surly. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Better players get used more often than players who aren’t as good.  Most catchers aren’t good enough hitters to be used as DH regularly when they’re not catching.   I thibk it’s about that simple.  

Realmuto’s career is a good benchmark for your take on this subject. Although he catches more and DH’s less and is still doing well at 33. A little bit of 1B too

4 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Realmuto’s career is a good benchmark for your take on this subject. Although he catches more and DH’s less and is still doing well at 33. A little bit of 1B too

Yes, I wonder what his playing time would have looked like if he’d played in the AL in his 20’s.

The bright spot last night was Adley’s grand slam that momentarily got us back in the game.   He’s been a little light on the XBH in the early going, but has two homers in the last six games. 

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The bright spot last night was Adley’s grand slam that momentarily got us back in the game.   He’s been a little light on the XBH in the early going, but has two homers in the last six games. 

Indeed. And he hit everything hard too, single at 96.1 EV, single at 106.7 EV, line out at 99.5 EV, grand slam at 103.4 EV. 

• Upvote 1

Bumping up the Adley thread. Seems like we don't need to discuss him because his production is so consistent. (Last year, he had four of six months between .286 and .292; fix of six months OPS between .770 and .922). Currently sitting at .330/.371/.794. Seven game hitting streak with a lot of multihit games in the mix: 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2. Feels like he is letting the game come to him and everything is easy right now. 

Only 2 HR could be seen as disappointing, but OPS is close to his career .800 level. OPS+ is actually up a bit due to the league offensive environment. 

Walks also haven't shown up yet (BB/K is at -9 deficit, which was where he ended up after a full season last year). But OBP is still in line with career due to the elevated average. 

Pull% is lowest ever 35.4% with most balls going up the middle (44.3%).

While we may want to see Adley get to the next level in power, he appears on track for a Tony Gwynn batting title type of season. I wonder if this is a conscious change in approach or just taking what is given. Hard to argue with the production, especially once the BB's pick up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Bumping up the Adley thread. Seems like we don't need to discuss him because his production is so consistent. (Last year, he had four of six months between .286 and .292; fix of six months OPS between .770 and .922). Currently sitting at .330/.371/.794. Seven game hitting streak with a lot of multihit games in the mix: 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2. Feels like he is letting the game come to him and everything is easy right now. 

Only 2 HR could be seen as disappointing, but OPS is close to his career .800 level. OPS+ is actually up a bit due to the league offensive environment. 

Walks also haven't shown up yet (BB/K is at -9 deficit, which was where he ended up after a full season last year). But OBP is still in line with career due to the elevated average. 

Pull% is lowest ever 35.4% with most balls going up the middle (44.3%).

While we may want to see Adley get to the next level in power, he appears on track for a Tony Gwynn batting title type of season. I wonder if this is a conscious change in approach or just taking what is given. Hard to argue with the production, especially once the BB's pick up.

His average exit velocity (73rd percentile) and hard hit percentage (89th percentile) are also significantly up from the last two years, so I expect the power numbers should tick up eventually.  Regardless, have to be pleased with how he has started the season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 8:01 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Look at the stats. 1986 was the start of the decline, he was bad in ‘87.  Somehow hung around to ‘92 but he wasn’t good. 

Oops just saw this. I was slightly tongue in cheek, but the dude caught for two decades. He was a tough mother.

In 1987 he was a 33 year old who had been mostly a catcher for 13 years. I’m not sure you can say his decline was really overuse. He was getting old for his position, especially pre-balco era.