Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

4 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I have to say the complete shift in patience is still a bit worrying to me, but I can't argue with the quality of contact so far. Chase rate going from 81 to 24 percentile is drastic though.

I think it's a team wide strategy that was put into place.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them go Rocky 2 at some point.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's a team wide strategy that was put into place.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them go Rocky 2 at some point.

I agree with this.

I don't think they'll suddenly "change" strategies, but I expect them to alter their strategies from series to series.

1 hour ago, luismatos4prez said:

Catching fWAR since 2022:

1. Adley 12.2

2. Sean Murphy 10.1

3. Will Smith 9.9

4. William Contreras 9.4

5. JT Realmuto 9.3

The best catcher in baseball and it's not close. 

What's crazy is Rutschman is batting .324, which is a great average - especially in today's game.   But that high batting average is good for the fourth best average among catchers this year.   There are a bunch of catchers in the league that are producing fire their teams.  We'll see how those numbers hold up as the year progresses. 

On 4/28/2024 at 7:09 AM, Sports Guy said:

Adley is hitting the ball harder so far this year.  His EV and hard hit% have jumped a decent amount.

Still could hit the ball harder (he’s in the 72 percentile) but it’s a big improvement.

Up to the 82 percentile now!

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How much are these SB on Adley?

I’d say 50/50. Burnes is deliberate to the plate. What concerns me is they didn’t even try to pitch out. Nats seem to be going early in the counts. 

I like Adley’s approach so far this year. If he’s always working the count and looking for walks, pitchers will take advantage. You have to show something different and he’s showing he’s also got a hit tool. 

What’s funny is the difference between his AVG and OBP is 37 points. Mountcastle is at 48 and Mateo is at 60. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I’d say 50/50. Burnes is deliberate to the plate. What concerns me is they didn’t even try to pitch out. Nats seem to be going early in the counts. 

Also, how many teams actually run?  It seems like we’ve played the younger teams in baseball versus the more slow/plodding teams of the AL East, and that eventually make the playoffs. 

KC, A’s, Nats, Twins, Pirates, Reds

Maybe not all of them fit that description, but typically the smaller market/younger teams tend to run more. We’ve just happened to run into them early. Teams in the AL East aren’t running much. Maybe 1-2 guys in each lineup.

Overall, I think the SB have been flukey. Players run less as the 162 game season drags on too. Fresh legs aren’t fresh in June. Remember Mullins and Mateo last April/May. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

34 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How much are these SB on Adley?

Last night? I would say very little. Burnes pitches as if he cares zero about giving up stolen bases other than his pickoff attempts. I wonder what Buck would have thought about his TTTP?!?

54 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Last night? I would say very little. Burnes pitches as if he cares zero about giving up stolen bases other than his pickoff attempts. I wonder what Buck would have thought about his TTTP?!?

It would be nice if Adley didn’t bounce 75% of his throws to 2B (my estimate).  I’m really not impressed with the accuracy of his throws.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It would be nice if Adley didn’t bounce 75% of his throws to 2B (my estimate).  I’m really not impressed with the accuracy of his throws.  

Right..I get it, he’s rushing, etc…but teams aren’t just running on the pitcher..they are running on Adley and the throws aren’t good. 

Just because we really like the guy doesn’t mean he can’t be critiqued and the throwing just isn’t good.

On 5/6/2024 at 6:54 PM, SilverRocket said:

I have to say the complete shift in patience is still a bit worrying to me, but I can't argue with the quality of contact so far. Chase rate going from 81 to 24 percentile is drastic though.

Didn't Adley lead the league in seeing pitches that should have been called balls being called strikes? I'd swing more, too. Can't argue with the results so far, though if that BA ever drops the lack of patience could get concerning.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve officially started to worry about his throwing game.  A good portion of his throws aren’t even remotely close.