Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And in the grand scheme of things it isn't all that damaging.

The way I see it in the grand scheme of things small details start to add up over the course of a 162 game season and can ultimately have an impact on results/success.  

Not relatwd to defense but it makes me think of “You know what the difference between hitting .250 and .300 is? It's 25 hits. 25 hits in 500 at-bats is fifty points, okay? There's six months in a season, that's about 25 weeks. That means if you get just one extra flare a week, just one; A gork, a groundball—you get a groundball with eyes—you get a dying quail...just one more dying quail a week, and you're in Yankee Stadium.”

14 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

The way I see it in the grand scheme of things small details start to add up over the course of a 162 game season and can ultimately have an impact on results/success.  

Not relatwd to defense but it makes me think of “You know what the difference between hitting .250 and .300 is? It's 25 hits. 25 hits in 500 at-bats is fifty points, okay? There's six months in a season, that's about 25 weeks. That means if you get just one extra flare a week, just one; A gork, a groundball—you get a groundball with eyes—you get a dying quail...just one more dying quail a week, and you're in Yankee Stadium.”

Now if Adley can just get back to close to his former walk rates, he'll be hitting .300/.400 and with a little more power / .500.  Last thing I thought I would see was Adley not walking.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Now if Adley can just get back to close to his former walk rates, he'll be hitting .300/.400 and with a little more power / .500.  Last thing I thought I would see was Adley not walking.

It's not just Adley, the entire team would rather swing than walk this year. I don't know if the team philosophy has changed, but they are feast or famine right now. They are striking out against pitchers with low K rates at an alarming rate. The plate discipline is pretty much gone for everyone.

49 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Todays Fangraphs piece on Adley Rutschman.

Article delves into % increase of pitches seen in zone and also higher chase%.  Speculates that Adley may perhaps be trading OBP for SLG.

The link is worth clicking on if only for the entertainment of the imagined push notifications from OMAR to his iPhone image in the story.

Three homers as a LHB in the last two games, and suddenly Adley’s on pace for 32 homers and 101 RBI.   He now has 4 homers from each side of the plate.  His LHB split is still well below normal for him, but it’s nice to see him getting it rolling.  .309/.343/.491 at the quarter-pole.   On pace for 6.8 rWAR, 5.6 fWAR.  I think he’s still trying to find the right balance between patience and aggressiveness.   

• Upvote 1

I didn’t realize until post-game that Adley is a confirmed Blue Jays killer.  In the penultimate page of today’s game thread there’s a link to a video of two Jays fans watching the game and giving commentary and they were clearly terrified of facing Rutschmsn in the 9th.  Then their reaction when he homers is must-watch.   “Rutschman is clutch as F***!”  “I just hate the fact that we’re going to have to play this guy for the next decade of time!!!” (I hope so!) 

Anyway, I looked it up, and before today, Adler’s career numbers against the Jays were .342/.423/.594 with 7 homers and 22 RBI in 31 games.  Those numbers just went up!

Here’s the video if you want to see it - you need to fast forward to 6 minutes or so from the end.  Kudos to @clapdiddyfor digging this up.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Frobby said:

I didn’t realize until post-game that Adley is a confirmed Blue Jays killer.  In the penultimate page of today’s game thread there’s a link to a video of two Jays fans watching the game and giving commentary and they were clearly terrified of facing Rutschmsn in the 9th.  Then their reaction when he homers is must-watch.   “Rutschman is clutch as F***!”  “I just hate the fact that we’re going to have to face this guy for the next ten yesrs!”  (I hope so!) 

Anyway, I looked it up, and before today, Adler’s career numbers against the Jays were .342/.423/.594 with 7 homers and 22 RBI in 31 games.  Those numbers just went up!

Here’s the video if you want to see it - you need to fast forward to 6 minutes or so from the end.  Kudos to @clapdiddyfor digging this up.  

I'd like to take credit for it, but it was actually @Goober Noodles.   I just commented on it.  :) 

• Upvote 2

On 5/9/2024 at 6:28 PM, Say O! said:

Todays Fangraphs piece on Adley Rutschman.

Article delves into % increase of pitches seen in zone and also higher chase%.  Speculates that Adley may perhaps be trading OBP for SLG.

I feel like the whole team is, and I could be wrong, but I would guess it is an intentional strategy the organization implemented this year.  Made a similar comment in another thread. The whole team has a combined ops that is the same as last year (.740) despite extremely subpar play from hays/mullins/santander and Holliday (tho that was just 30 at bats) in spite of a decreased OBP across the team. So we are performing approximately par with last year despite terrible play from our outfield due to being more aggressive and doing more damage with the pitches we can drive.