Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

5 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

His splits makes me wonder if he sometimes spends extra time in the offseason focusing on one side of the plate or the other.

I think switch hitters just come with a lot of variability. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2024 at 10:34 PM, Malike said:

I also think you are struggling with the fact that games caught and games played are two very different things. Adley is not being overused as a catcher.

Adley looks way more energized and McCann is veteran catcher who is good defensively and handles the pitchers well.  Doesn't really make sense to wear Adley out when the O's are using him at the top of the lineup. 

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Adley looks way more energized and McCann is veteran catcher who is good defensively and handles the pitchers well.  Doesn't really make sense to wear Adley out when the O's are using him at the top of the lineup. 

And it certainly helps when McCann looks dangerous at the plate like he is right now.

Nice to see Adley put a couple over the wall this weekend.  He’s got his OPS+ up to 140, which you’d take any day.  

In his final at bat yesterday, the ump hosed him twice, once on each side of the plate about 3-4 inches wide.  It’s unusual to see an ump miss both an outside pitch and an inside pitch in the same AB.  

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice to see Adley put a couple over the wall this weekend.  He’s got his OPS+ up to 140, which you’d take any day.  

In his final at bat yesterday, the ump hosed him twice, once on each side of the plate about 3-4 inches wide.  It’s unusual to see an ump miss both an outside pitch and an inside pitch in the same AB.  

I don't complain about umps much and I'd be interested to see what the scorecard says, but if the box on the screen was at all accurate (and I'm not convinced it is) then the ump was really struggling at the end of that game.

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't complain about umps much and I'd be interested to see what the scorecard says, but if the box on the screen was at all accurate (and I'm not convinced it is) then the ump was really struggling at the end of that game.

There was a terrible call against Mateo as well that put him at 1-2 instead of 2-1 in the 9th.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

There was a terrible call against Mateo as well that put him at 1-2 instead of 2-1 in the 9th.

I didn't get to see the 9th, was listening on the radio, but there appeared to several very generous calls in the 8th.  Urias struck out on a ball that looked well inside and low.  Kevin Brown made some sort of comment about the ump having a flight to catch I believe.

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I didn't get to see the 9th, was listening on the radio, but there appeared to several very generous calls in the 8th.  Urias struck out on a ball that looked well inside and low.  Kevin Brown made some sort of comment about the ump having a flight to catch I believe.

image.thumb.png.3459ea5f9a674bfe5fc4d236a9e3338c.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

The Urias called strike was comically. bad

Only concern with Adley so far is that he is chasing a ton right now. Hopefully he can balance the better contact he is making with his swing decisions from the last 2 years. If he can, he’s going put up an OBP over .400.

It kind of got overshadowed by Irvin’s pitching and O’Hearn’s homer, but Adley’s double to break the scoreless tie was just a very professional Adley at bat.  He knew his job was to get a deep enough fly ball to get Mateo home, and that’s exactly what he did.  It just happened to land in the right spot for a double, but the run was going to score either way.  I have the utmost confidence in Adley in a spot like that.  

• Upvote 4