David Rubenstein 2024

13 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Frobby, you seem to follow the business side of the O’s fairly close.

Curious what you think the O’s payroll could get up to and the O’s still break even?

With the caveat you only know what is reported on their financials with most of it being speculation.  

Not Frobby …But , I’d suspect something in the 180 million-ish range. 

41 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Not Frobby …But , I’d suspect something in the 180 million-ish range. 

That’s as good a guess as any.  Could be $10-15 mm lower, could be a shade higher.   I’d note though that most teams don’t run on a break even basis.  They turn a profit, just not as hefty a profit as the O’s have been raking in the last 5-6 years.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just tying a bow on the ownership change. The Baltimore Orioles are now 100% owned by the Rubenstein Group after buying the remaining 40%.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/sports/orioles-mlb/orioles-david-rubenstein-michael-arougheti-buy-full-ownership-E77CRUA3VBE5JAOY6AYS4YDORY/

This deserves its own thread, IMHO.

This is big news, I love it, and it really changes my perception of what to expect moving forward.  I firmly believe payroll will rise considerably, as soon as this offseason (unless extensions get done during the season).  

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I hope that payroll rises, as long as it's done intelligently.  With Elias at the helm, I believe it will.

But I've said it before...everyone seems to think that things are going to get better from a budget perspective just because...well, thats what they think should happen.  Because....of course it should be better.  It has to be better.  

There's no guarantee that it will.  

• Upvote 2

On 7/28/2024 at 10:06 AM, Frobby said:

That’s as good a guess as any.  Could be $10-15 mm lower, could be a shade higher.   I’d note though that most teams don’t run on a break even basis.  They turn a profit, just not as hefty a profit as the O’s have been raking in the last 5-6 years.  

Roster resource (per fangraphs) shows O’s 2024 estimated luxury tax payroll at $129M (net of all the recent comings/goings/prorations).  This does include estimates for $17M player benefits, $2M pre-arb bonus pool.  However, I don’t think that includes $11M 2024 draft bonus pool or the $7M international bonus pool for 2024.  So net/net….it may be the case that O’s are already in the $145-150M neighborhood when factoring all payments.  Hopefully still some room above that level for O’s to spend in 2025 (although with Kimbrel, Santander, Burnes coming off the books, there should be $$$ even if spending flat).

1 minute ago, casadeozo said:

I think he would maintain a minority ownership.

So he would be getting a ring lol

I would be willing to bet that for Major League Baseball to approve this they required Angelos would no longer be part of ownership.  

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

I would be willing to bet that for Major League Baseball to approve this they required Angelos would no longer be part of ownership.  

I don't think they'd risk blowing getting Angelos out there by having that sort of demand.  I think the new owner just wanted full control.

Edited by Can_of_corn

Letting the Nats come to DC was such a blow to the O’s.  I know baseball is huge down here in NOVA and further down into VA.  Cut out market substantially and MASN isn’t worth much with everyone cord cutting these days.  I wonder what the ratings are these days.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, casadeozo said:

I think he would maintain a minority ownership.

So he would be getting a ring lol

You would be wrong about that.  The Angelos family has no investment left in the team after the second phase of the purchase was completed.  I saw that the only minority investors that have remained from the Angelos group are Barry Levinson & Pam Shriver.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Letting the Nats come to DC was such a blow to the O’s.  I know baseball is huge down here in NOVA and further down into VA.  Cut out market substantially and MASN isn’t worth much with everyone cord cutting these days.  I wonder what the ratings are these days.   

I’ve be saying this since it was announced years ago. They took the Orioles ability to spend like the other team in our division outside of Tampa. 

I think the Nationals tied to DC to 2037.

Funny that their fan site is already counting the days until next opening day.

https://www.talknats.com/2023/12/19/2037-is-right-around-the-corner-and-it-is-not-too-early-to-speculate-on-the-future-of-nationals-park/