Holliday optioned, McKenna recalled

Brian88

Its all odd who gets the massive hype machine.  Adley gets it, Jackson gets it.  Did Gunnar get it?  Cowser and Westburg and Kjerstad got nothing and they were all well regarded first round draft picks.  I feel like the hype train on Jackson this season was hatched by the Angelos group and hopefully they will look over what they did right and wrong and make some different choices.  I think part of why they did not let Jackson start opening day was so he could have his OWN big day for massive ticket sales.  Maybe we should wait till a kid gets a good half season of success in the Show before we print off 15k tshirts and make him the center of the universe.  I know this is a MLB wide mandate to push the young kids as hard as they can because baseball does not have the attention of young people but something feels a little exploitative.  Maybe just a little.

Edited by Gurgi
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Its all odd who gets the massive hype machine.  Adley gets it, Jackson gets it.  Did Gunnar get it?  Cowser and Westburg and Kjerstad got nothing and they were all well regarded first round draft picks.  I feel like the hype train on Jackson this season was hatched by the Angelos group and hopefully they will look over what they did right and wrong and make some different choices.  I think part of why they did not let Jackson start opening day was so he could have his OWN big day for massive ticket sales.  Maybe we should wait till a kid gets a good half season of success in the Show before we print off 15k tshirts and make him the center of the universe.  I know this is a MLB wide mandate to push the young kids as hard as they can because baseball does not have the attention of young people but something feels a little exploitative.  Maybe just a little.

Gunnar got a lot of hype (for a baseball player).

You don't get to be the top rated prospect without hype.

Guys that go 1-1 have a step up when it comes to name recognition. 

Overall baseball prospects get very little hype.  Very few guys get the McDonald, Strasburg, Harper sort of national attention.  I'd say Skenes did, but part of it with him is who he is dating.

53 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This. Thank you. 

I equate this to the same thing as when Grayson went down a year ago, worked with Coach Ramsey, and then when he came back up Grayson made it a point to credit Ramsey in his press conference interviews.

So I see Norflolk's coaches working with Jackson the same way they worked with Grayson to help him correct whatever it was he corrected.

Plus the impact on the standings is lower doing it in AAA than it is in MLB. It's a better environment for players to develop their habits and confidence again.

Gordon Ramsey?  He is a tough coach,but maybe tough love is what the players need in the minors  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Anyone with Holliday’s track record would have gotten the hype.  It wasn’t just the Orioles ginning it up.  He’s a 1:1 pick, considered the top prospect in the game, and went through four levels of the minors in a year at age 19.  On top of that, his dad was a star player for 15 years.  Of course there was going to be hype!

I have zero problems with any decisions the O’s have made with him or how they handled his time in the majors.  He’ll go back to Norfolk, re-set, and be back up later this year.  Not everyone has a perfect glide path to the majors - ask Mike Trout.  

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

McKenna taking balls at 2B was a sign that Holliday was going down but I don't think anyone said something.   McKenna is the emergency 2B, like Lenn Sakata was the emergency catcher. 

Emergency 2B? WTF? Like Urias, Mateo, Westburg isn't enough?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not too surprised about Holliday.  I’m somewhat surprised about McKenna.  I guess they want an option for late inning defense in the OF for Santander or Kjerstad.  

Brandon Hyde manlove for McKenna. 

Wonder when we’ll see him again. I’m thinking it might be in 2025. If he comes up for expanded rosters, I don’t see him playing. Hopefully he can improve and be ready for his next chance in the show. 

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, now said:

Emergency 2B? WTF? Like Urias, Mateo, Westburg isn't enough?

We have on extra infielder.   Suppose Mateo PR for someone in the 9th inning of  tie game but doesn't stay in the game.  In the 10th, Urias gets HBP and has to leave the game.  That kind of rare situation.   That's why they call it an emergency.   Not sure why you're having a conniption over it.

I'm only partway through the DVR, but MASN's 1983 remembering program had some of the game footage from Tippy's three pickoffs inning.    The show reminded me Toronto led the Orioles in late August at that time it occurred.

When Tippy was talking about I didn't walk guys on purpose, they showed one of the batters that inning reaching on a ground ball up the middle to 2B Lowenstein.   Lowenstein ranged right decently and even gloved it on the short CF grass, but then looked like he didn't really know what to do.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dystopia said:

Norby must have insulted Elias’ mom or something. Makes zero sense to promote McKenna instead of him. 

Well I mean they are already two deep at second with Westy and Mateo and Urias as well. Id rather see what Mateo and Urias give you which, at this point, is going to be significantly more than Jackson and you get to retain the extra year of service time. That type of depth also means you don’t need Norby there either. McKenna gives us the outfield defensive replacement and speed off the bench along with Mateo. Perhaps with Norby, they don’t want to bring him up, have him struggle and possible worsen his potential trade value. Projections may be better than actualization as we are seeing play out with Hall and Ortiz.