Holliday optioned, McKenna recalled

Brian88

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You know what's interesting? The Orioles were 7-3 while Holliday was here despite his struggles, but did sending him down cost the Orioles a game?

Think about it. Urias replaced him in the lineup and went 0-for-3 (something he could have done) and didn't have any productive at bats. He did make a nice stop and throw to get the runner at the plate in a run down, but nothing Westburg most likely would not have made. 

But, if he were on the roster and not McKenna, Santander probably is in the game in the 9th and most likely makes that catch. 

So in a weird way, sending Holliday down may have contributed to the Orioles losing last night. 

I thought the same thing. It affected the O's chemistry.  We became good when Adley came up and better when Gunner came up.  I was hoping the O's had more patience with Holliday and now even more so since McKenna was his replacement, it doesn't make any sense to me these decisions! 

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

I thought the same thing. It affected the O's chemistry.  We became good when Adley came up and better when Gunner came up.  I was hoping the O's had more patience with Holliday and now even more so since McKenna was his replacement, it doesn't make any sense to me these decisions! 

To be fair, and I'm not picking on you, I promise, but you aren't satisfied with anything they do if they aren't up by 12 runs in the first inning. :)

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

To be fair, and I'm not picking on you, I promise, but you aren't satisfied with anything they do if they aren't up by 12 runs in the first inning. :)

Hi Malike  What do you think of the NY Giants draft?  Are you dissappointed they are stuck with Daniel Jones?  I should have put this in the NFL section, I'm sorry!

Just now, oriolediehard said:

Hi Malike  What do you think of the NY Giants draft?  Are you dissappointed they are stuck with Daniel Jones?  I should have put this in the NFL section, I'm sorry!

Nabers is a beast, great pick. I doubt they stick with Jones, but don't want to hijack the thread! Happy so far.

11 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Chemistry was my main reason for having JH here for the opening day lineup.  I thought he added some extra energy boost and confidence to the team...knowing they had the #1 prospect in all of baseball on the team.   So when he didn't make the team I thought it was a mistake.  Turned out I was mistaken for thinking the O's mistake was a mistake.   It was a mistake fest.   Because I was even mistaken on how he would do in the bigs. 

Because while I never thought he would tear up the league or have a major impact right away playing wise like Machado did, I did think he would hold his own.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think he would be as bad as he was.  18 strikeouts in 34 at bats?  While he obviously didn't kill the team because they had that 7-3 record when he was here, hitting that badly had to be a huge burden and had to be killing his confidence.   So sending him down was the best thing FOR HIM right now.  Go down, work on that high leg kick timing, and get back into a groove.

And btw I think Urias is terrible and honestly I am not sure why he is even on the team.  He offers nothing.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You know what's interesting? The Orioles were 7-3 while Holliday was here despite his struggles

More accurately, they were 7-3 in the games Holliday played in.  They also went 2-1 in games he didn’t play while he was with the club.  

Too many “what if’s” to know what happens if Holliday is on the club for that game.  I am NOT going to assume that Santander makes that catch.  And who knows, maybe Holliday makes a crucial error earlier in the game.  There’s no way to know.  

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

More accurately, they were 7-3 in the games Holliday played in.  They also went 2-1 in games he didn’t play while he was with the club.  

Too many “what if’s” to know what happens if Holliday is on the club for that game.  I am NOT going to assume that Santander makes that catch.  And who knows, maybe Holliday makes a crucial error earlier in the game.  There’s no way to know.  

In your opinion how many stars should that catch have been? 

28 minutes ago, Malike said:

In your opinion how many stars should that catch have been? 

The scale is: 

1 star: 91-95%

2 star: 76-90

3 star: 51-75%

4 star: 26-51%

5 star: 0-25%

So, Statcast had that as a 2 star catch, at 85%.  I said I thought the odds were more like 50/50, so either 3 star or 4 star .   But none of the replays I’ve seen really show McKenna’s supposedly bad jump, so it’s a little hard to say.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, survivedc said:

He’s your least favorite of all time? Do you remember Pedro Severino?

McKenna is my least favorite Oriole of all time as well. He's way worse than Severino. 

Severino was just a bad baseball player. Orioles have had plenty of those during their losing seasons. But McKenna is much worse because he's a bad baseball player who's considered to be a good defensive outfielder by the only two people that really matter - Mike Elias and Brandon Hyde. And McKenna has consistently killed this team with awful defensive plays, the one thing he's supposed to be good at. The dropped ball last season in Boston was bar none the worst defensive play I've ever seen an Oriole make, especially considering it literally cost us a game, and it was one of the easiest plays any baseball player can make. It was poor fundamentals and poor execution.

McKenna's stupid bandana makes him extra annoying. I despise him as a player, and the fact Elias values him makes me question Elias's ability to manage a major league roster. I'm not exaggerating when I say that, and I don't care what the team's win-loss record was last year or what it is this season. Elias makes a ton of questionable at best, poor at worst roster decisions, acquisitions, and transactions.

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

McKenna is my least favorite Oriole of all time as well. He's way worse than Severino. 

Severino was just a bad baseball player. Orioles have had plenty of those during their losing seasons. But McKenna is much worse because he's a bad baseball player who's considered to be a good defensive outfielder by the only two people that really matter - Mike Elias and Brandon Hyde. And McKenna has consistently killed this team with awful defensive plays, the one thing he's supposed to be good at. The dropped ball last season in Boston was bar none the worst defensive play I've ever seen an Oriole make, especially considering it literally cost us a game, and it was one of the easiest plays any baseball player can make. It was poor fundamentals and poor execution.

McKenna's stupid bandana makes him extra annoying. I despise him as a player, and the fact Elias values him makes me question Elias's ability to manage a major league roster. I'm not exaggerating when I say that, and I don't care what the team's win-loss record was last year or what it is this season. Elias makes a ton of questionable at best, poor at worst roster decisions, acquisitions, and transactions.

Quick question. How much worse than the other 29 GMs is Elias in making roster decisions, acquisitions, and transactions? I think it's likely that fans from all 30 teams say the same hyperbolic statement about their GM.

Just now, Malike said:

Quick question. How much worse than the other 29 GMs is Elias in making roster decisions, acquisitions, and transactions? I think it's likely that fans from all 30 teams say the same hyperbolic statement about their GM.

That’s irrelevant.  He’s far worse than Brooks The Great.  That’s what matters.