Brian88

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

The scale is: 

1 star: 91-95%

2 star: 76-90

3 star: 51-75%

4 star: 26-51%

5 star: 0-25%

So, Statcast had that as a 2 star catch, at 85%.  I said I thought the odds were more like 50/50, so either 3 star or 4 star .   But none of the replays I’ve seen really show McKenna’s supposedly bad jump, so it’s a little hard to say.   

I don’t know what replays you’re looking at but when the camera pans to him he’s not even remotely close to moving. 

Didn't see today's game in it's entirety but I will say this.  I feel 100% more confident with Mateo playing second and turning  a DP rather than JH right now.  JH will be fine there.  In time.   But even forgetting his hitting, D wise he just isn't there yet.

And yes I know the metrics say he is fine.  But to me, using the eye test, he looked very shaky fielding and throwing,

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

8 hours ago, Spakman said:

I don’t know what replays you’re looking at but when the camera pans to him he’s not even remotely close to moving. 

It’s the MASN feed replay that shows this, but it’s not in any of the highlight clips.

Also, for what it’s worth, catch probability applies extra difficulty for catches that are made “going back”.  This only applies to catches maxed between 11 o’clock and 1 o’clock from the fielder’s position.  Apparently, McKenna’s catch was just outside of these parameters (e.g., between 1 and 2), so it was treated the same as any catch in which the outfielder needs to cover 53 feet in 3.9 seconds.  Although it was a makeable catch, I do think the 85% probability is a bit inflated.

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2024 at 4:41 PM, Can_of_corn said:

It will be funny if Norfolk suddenly goes on a tear with him back.

Bump…the Tides are undefeated (5-0) since Holliday returned.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1