This team will make another early exit from the playoffs

dystopia

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

It really makes the board a worse place to be frankly.  Yes you can just not click on these threads, but similar posts get sprinkled throughout. 

It amazes me that some people, who purportedly have been baseball fans for a long time, get so worked up over one game this early in the season. Any rational fan knows we are going to lose at least 60 games bare minimum, even as one of the best teams in the AL. Yet it’s rant city after every one. It’s ridiculous, and as you said, straight up dumb. 

I should have posted it in the rants forum. It was venting. Still pissed about pitching to Rooker though. 

I probably won't watch much the next week or so. It is so infuriating watching us struggle against bad teams and Yankee games are really bad for my blood pressure as well. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really hate the chicken little sky-is-falling posts after a tough loss. Reactive and dumb and obnoxious. 

I haven’t looked yet but I’m assuming someone else will be here victory lapping. 

How much money did people have on this game? I know the Moneyline was huge.  Did someone lay the $265 to win $100? The day-to-day rants over a 100 win team after every loss only points to people losing money on the game.

We need a new “Gambling Rants Section”.  

The takeaways from this game is the Burnes is being a little pitch inefficient and seems stuck on the 5-6 IP range as opposed to the 6-7 IP SP that we need from him. The other one is the offense. You have to adjust to the ballpark. Homers on the road. More doubles and gap shots in our spacious LF. 

I never understood what @Tony-OHwas saying about McKenna until last season. His baseball instincts aren’t there. I love the call up. Love the role. You can never argue having a backup CF/defensive replacement/pinch runner type. We have that at Util IF with Mateo, but we were hoping McKenna could fill that role for us. Nah, we might have to look outside the org for a vet Michael Bourn type. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I think of it like this - if I’m watching the game in person with someone who is doom and gloom every time something goes wrong, I’m not going to watch the game with that person for very long. 

Which is why I don’t  stay long in any game thread either for that matter. 

4 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think of it like this - if I’m watching the game in person with someone who is doom and gloom every time something goes wrong, I’m not going to watch the game with that person for very long. 

Which is why I don’t  stay long in any game thread either for that matter. 

The game thread is certainly not for people who take everything that is said too seriously. It's the one place where we allow people to vent (within the rules) without being held responsible for the reactive statements. 

It's not for everyone, but sometimes it's fun to commiserate and or cheer along with others. I try to be 90% fan in that section myself. It's just the place to release that frustration or enjoy the thrill of a great play/win with other fans. 

But I understand people that don't like any negativity when they watch a game. That's their right to fan how they want. Besides, half the fun is waiting for the starting pitcher to walk a leadoff batter and having people say the game is about to get out of hand! :D 

I don't take anything said in there too seriously. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I should have posted it in the rants forum. It was venting. Still pissed about pitching to Rooker though. 

I probably won't watch much the next week or so. It is so infuriating watching us struggle against bad teams and Yankee games are really bad for my blood pressure as well. 

I honestly want to know this, but how old are you? How long have you've been watching baseball.

I mean, sure, last night's game was not fun, but to say you won't watch much the next week over one game of a 162-game schedule just seems like you are putting too much emotion into one game and letting it affect the rest of your life.

I mean, the Orioles are a better team than the A's, no one would argue otherwise, but even the best teams get beat 60 times a year and yes, sometimes the "inferior" team is going to win. I mean, the A's get paid too. Those guys are professionals that a trying their best for many reasons. Do you think they go into the game with the Orioles and think, "There's no way we can win this game?"

No, they go into the game thinking anything can happen because what baseball history tells us that anything can happen, particularly in one baseball game no matter who is starting or what the records of the teams are.

Sure, we can point to the things that went wrong last night and there are valid things to discuss like the fact that the bullpen is short at least one impact reliever (a guy that doesn't need to be taken out for platoon advantages and can pitch in high leverage situations effectively), Kimbrel has been used a ton already, and two defensive miscues in the outfield by outfielders with good defensive chops cost the team. 

But they are nothing more than talking points. A loss is a loss. They are not fun. Ninth inning blown saves and losing in extras is not fun for the team or the fans. But, what we do know is the Orioles will be back tonight and they have a better chance of winning than losing due to the team's records. Does that mean they SHOULD win? 

Statistically speaking they should, but that certainly does not mean they will. It's baseball and it's a long season. It's ok to vent in the game threads, but don't let it spill over into the main forum. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

We were -265 favorites last night. I think we were only that big of favorite for a handful of games that year. Before last year, you’d probably have to go all the way back to 2016 or possibly even 2014 to find a game where we were favored by that much. 

So I can understand the let down, but it happens over 162. We need to score some runs. We already blew out the elbow of the AL All Star closer from last year.  We’re working on Kimbrel the NL All Star game’s closer. 

The offense is to blame. Big time. Can’t just shut down and give away ABs. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The game thread is certainly not for people who take everything that is said too seriously. It's the one place where we allow people to vent (within the rules) without being held responsible for the reactive statements. 

It's not for everyone, but sometimes it's fun to commiserate and or cheer along with others. I try to be 90% fan in that section myself. It's just the place to release that frustration or enjoy the thrill of a great play/win with other fans. 

But I understand people that don't like any negativity when they watch a game. That's their right to fan how they want. Besides, half the fun is waiting for the starting pitcher to walk a leadoff batter and having people say the game is about to get out of hand! :D 

I don't take anything said in there too seriously. 

In don’t mind some negativity. Saying ‘damn that sucks’ or ‘oh man not Webb, not now’ is part of it. But it’s over the top for me, and that’s why I don’t spend long on there. I’ll have a (what I think is) clever though so I’ll jump in and throw it out there, then jump right back out. Otherwise every time the other team gets a base hit while we’re up four runs, you get three posts ‘uh oh here we go’ ‘they’re going to blow this’ etc. 

Call it Premature Negativity maybe. That’s the issue. At some point the team deserves/has earned a little more benefit of the doubt than some posters are willing to give in the moment. For instance, I was nowhere near the game thread during game 1 of the Angels series, because I’m sure the doom and gloom as the Angels loaded the bases in the ninth was substantial. I’d rather hold out hope and have a little faith that Kimbrel will work through it (which he did) then read a bunch of whining about how it’s over while we’re still up two runs with two outs. 

And then if a player makes a mistake, it can’t just be a bad play that we can rationally discuss, it has to be we’re doomed to get swept out of the playoffs because Elias is a knucklehead who didn’t fix the bullpen and why is McKenna even out there and oh god oh god oh god…..that’s tiresome. 

• Upvote 1

We dislike the Yankees and Red Sox for their fans being entitled, but yet we’re quickly becoming just like them. 

“Fire Elias. He doesn’t have the 26 man roster all buttoned up and snug for a playoff run in April. Blown saves don’t happen.”

39 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We dislike the Yankees and Red Sox for their fans being entitled, but yet we’re quickly becoming just like them. 

“Fire Elias. He doesn’t have the 26 man roster all buttoned up and snug for a playoff run in April. Blown saves don’t happen.”

Day to day questions by fans is normal, not isolated to O's fans, but can you name one person that has said Elias should be fired? That's worse hyperbole than the original post.

Since this thread has got more life than I thought it should, I'll add my two cents rather than just a quip. Last night pissed me off but then most losses do. I turned the game off when the A's tied the score in the top of the ninth. Figured that was the ball game. That it took another inning to lose surprised me. 16-9 in March/April with 4 to go and this much angst? Going to be a long year on OH. 😀

My approch is if the players making all that money can compartmentalize, darn it so can I. I sure have never had their physical talents so....  Got up this morning - sun shining - I'm still here - family is still here - play ball. IMHO, the only games worth really fretting over are family and health. 

Joe Posnanski wrote a wonderful book, called “The Baseball 100,” his 100 greatest players. It’s full of wonderful quotes, but it leaves out a quote that is not just all of Baseball in three words, but that applies to all of life.

”Sometimes you suck.”

Adam Jones.

God bless Adam Jones.

Yes, Hyde makes boneheaded decisions almost every game. Yes Mike should have done this or not done that, Yes Cowser shouldn’t have thrown that way, Ryan shouldn’t have missed the fly, yada yada.

I was screaming as loud as anyone. My wife said,”I thought you liked baseball,”

But now it’s tomorrow. 

“Sometimes you suck.”

Charge on.

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

This is hilarious. Please keep posting here.