Who should start Th May 2nd vs the Yankees? Bradish or Irvin?

Who should start game 4 of the Yankees on Thursday May 2nd?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Bradish or Irvin?

Game 4 of Yankees series. It’s one game, but one game could be the difference in the division, having to play in the WC series, and home field advantage. 

Things to consider…

How did games 1-3 go versus the NYY?

Should we ease Bradish back in a lower pressure spot so he’s not too amped up for his own good?

Do we play matchups and go with a LH SP in OPACY?

What happens in Irvin’s start today?

If Bradish is deemed ready then he’s ready.   I’m not delaying that on some kind of hope that Cole Irvin might do better against the Yanks.  The sooner we get Bradish settled in the better.   

May need to consider piggybacking these guys, rather than throwing 5 innings and turning it over to bullpen. Thus far, Hyde seems to exclusively prefer 1 inning outings from relievers so the BP is racking up appearances.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Let’s see how Irvin pitches tonight.  If he throws a stinker, I’m going with Bradish.  If he throws a good game, then I need to think about it harder.  

How about if Irvin pitches a 7 inning shutout today? 😉

• Upvote 1

Going to be tough to take Irvin and Suarez out if they keep throwing shutout ball.   Bradish has to get one spot when he’s ready.  I like the idea of Suarez in a Cano-like role.   Can we really demote Irvin for Means while Irvin is on a roll and Means is looking questionable?

Irvin and Suarez have really stepped up when we needed it.   They have, arguably, outperformed our #1 and #2 starters the last two turns.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Say O! said:

May need to consider piggybacking these guys, rather than throwing 5 innings and turning it over to bullpen. Thus far, Hyde seems to exclusively prefer 1 inning outings from relievers so the BP is racking up appearances.

The O's don't have the relievers with option to shuttle back and forth like last year.  Hyde seems to like to use Akin and Baumann in 1 innings appearances even though they have shown the ability to pitch multiple innings.  Going to be too much wear and tear on high leverage guys when the O's have to many close games back to back.  Prime example is what happened to Kimbrel.

1 hour ago, Natty said:

During the broadcast today Brown said that Hyde says Bradish's next start will be vs the Yankees.

I heard him quote Hyde as saying Bradish’s next start would be in the majors. I didn’t hear him say it would be against the Yankees.

2 hours ago, Natty said:

How about if Irvin pitches a 7 inning shutout today? 😉

The reason I said:

“If he throws a stinker, I’m going with Bradish.  If he throws a good game, then I need to think about it harder.”

is because it’s Oakland.  So is Irvin really pitching well suddenly, or is it because he’s facing the second most anemic offense in MLB?  That requires some thought. 

Anyway, it sounds like the O’s already decided Bradish would pitch in the Yankees series.   So the new question it whether it’s Suárez or Irvin who leaves the rotation.  And I’m guessing Suárez gets moved to the bullpen.   

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Anyway, it sounds like the O’s already decided Bradish would pitch in the Yankees series.   So the new question it whether it’s Suárez or Irvin who leaves the rotation.  And I’m guessing Suárez gets moved to the bullpen.   

It could be both. Means, Suarez, and Irvin will all be lined up to pitch Friday.

Grayson tomorrow. Kremer Tuesday.  Burnes Wednesday. Bradish Thursday. Means/Suarez/Irvin Friday.