Go get Kopech..and other potential BP additions

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I don't know why some folks assume that a Cano or Bradish were basically throw-ins in the trades we did.  Just because we may not have heard of them on here prior to the trades does not mean that Elias didn't ask specifically to have either, or both, included in the trades.  I would bet that we had scouting info on both of those guys that led us to believe they could be very useful for us.  

Bradish was in fact the only player we got back from LAA that was in their top 30. He was their 21st-ranked prospect. Mattson was the only other guy in the trade who had any MiL experience with Peek and Brnovich not yet making their debuts in their draft year. Mattson was looked at as the best prospect in the deal at the time. 

I found the write up on Bradish from BA pretty interesting and funny after the trade.

The Angels’ fourth-round pick in 2018, Bradish doesn’t have the velocity or command to start but has a tick of promise as a potential reliever. His 91-93 mph fastball cuts just enough to be interesting and his plunging overhand curveball gives him a potential above-average secondary. The hope is Bradish’s fastball would tick up to 94-96 mph in the bullpen and be a decent enough pitch to pair with his curveball. Otherwise, he’s organizational depth piece.

Edited by Malike

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

Bradish was in fact the only player we got back from LAA that was in their top 30. He was their 21st-ranked prospect. Mattson was the only other guy in the trade who had any MiL experience with Peek and Brnovich not yet making their debuts in their draft year. Mattson was looked at as the best prospect in the deal at the time. 

I found the write up on Bradish from BA pretty interesting and funny after the trade.

The Angels’ fourth-round pick in 2018, Bradish doesn’t have the velocity or command to start but has a tick of promise as a potential reliever. His 91-93 mph fastball cuts just enough to be interesting and his plunging overhand curveball gives him a potential above-average secondary. The hope is Bradish’s fastball would tick up to 94-96 mph in the bullpen and be a decent enough pitch to pair with his curveball. Otherwise, he’s organizational depth piece.

Great info for sure, and interesting.  I'd still lean toward the belief that Elias had enough intel on each player that we got back in the Bundy trade to have targeted those guys, and didn't just accept whoever the Angels were willing to give up.  Would you agree with that, even the guys that had been recently drafted since Elias also worked that draft?

Mason Miller and his 5 years of control after 2024 will 100% cost you one of Holliday, Mayo, or Basallo (and then some, i.e. Povich or McDermott), so which one do give up for him? For me, it's an EASY "none of the above." Dude's already had one arm injury scare in his young career, his elbow is going to be shredded cheese before he ever completes the ~6 years of service time you are paying through the nose for and everyone knows it (which is the only reason the A's would even entertain trade offers for him in his first MLB season btw).

Go get someone like Ryan Helsley (FA after 2025) or David Bednar (FA after 2026) instead. 

3 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Great info for sure, and interesting.  I'd still lean toward the belief that Elias had enough intel on each player that we got back in the Bundy trade to have targeted those guys, and didn't just accept whoever the Angels were willing to give up.  Would you agree with that, even the guys that had been recently drafted since Elias also worked that draft?

Oh, I wasn't saying that I don't think Bradish was a target, just that Mattson was viewed as the piece and he's now 28 and splitting time in AAA/AA with the Pirates. The write up on Bradish just goes to show you, you never know. Organizational depth, you bet.

15 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Mason Miller and his 5 years of control after 2024 will 100% cost you one of Holliday, Mayo, or Basallo (and then some, i.e. Povich or McDermott), so which one do give up for him? For me, it's an EASY "none of the above." Dude's already had one arm injury scare in his young career, his elbow is going to be shredded cheese before he ever completes the ~6 years of service time you are paying through the nose for and everyone knows it (which is the only reason the A's would even entertain trade offers for him in his first MLB season btw).

Go get someone like Ryan Helsley (FA after 2025) or David Bednar (FA after 2026) instead. 

I don’t think you could agree with the Pirates on Bednar’s value now, unless you want to pay for last year’s results only. I like the idea of buying low on him but I don’t think the Pirates like it, especially after not moving him at last year’s deadline. 

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I think you make great points, but you need to remember that Miller is NOT a rental.   He is an elite talent with 6 years of control.

And... it's not just about prospects IMO. Oakland just may demand pieces from ML rosters as well

45 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t think you could agree with the Pirates on Bednar’s value now, unless you want to pay for last year’s results only. I like the idea of buying low on him but I don’t think the Pirates like it, especially after not moving him at last year’s deadline. 

You may be right, but he has looked better lately (I have been following his season pretty closely as I spent fairly high draft picks on him in both of my fantasy leagues).

If he continues pitching well through the trade deadline, then I think both teams could at least come close to agreeing on his value, which, while doubtlessly still high, would be considerably lower than Miller and his 5 remaining years of control after 2024.

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

And... it's not just about prospects IMO. Oakland just may demand pieces from ML rosters as well

They can ask for whatever they want but no one is giving up a top 25 prospect and some young talented players on the major league team for a closer with 20 major league innings he just doesn’t have the track record to justify it.  That also why I don’t think he will be traded as 4 years of control and 2 years of track record is more valuable then 5.5 years of control and 2 great months.  

7 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of trading Miller for the future? He is not FA until 2029 so they would be effectively conceding that they aren't trying to compete before then. (Which is crazy and why this deal won't happen for a couple years).

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

You may be right, but he has looked better lately (I have been following his season pretty closely as I spent fairly high draft picks on him in both of my fantasy leagues).

If he continues pitching well through the trade deadline, then I think both teams could at least come close to agreeing on his value, which, while doubtlessly still high, would be considerably lower than Miller and his 5 remaining years of control after 2024.

Bednar is a much more logical target than Miller and he is ony fantasy team so he better do well :)

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

(Which is crazy and why this deal won't happen for a couple years).

Unless (as I personally suspect) they believe that his elbow ligament may be in more danger than a Boeing whistleblower the week before they are set to testify, in which case trading him ASAP for a king's ransom is the move to make.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of trading Miller for the future? He is not FA until 2029 so they would be effectively conceding that they aren't trying to compete before then. (Which is crazy and why this deal won't happen for a couple years).

I suppose the logic would be Oakland looking for multiple controllable players to improve their ML roster and their farm system. The more teams bidding for Miller the better for OAK.  

14 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Agreed on Miller. He’s phenomenal, but is a TJ surgery waiting to happen. Our Miller will be back next year. 

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Bednar is a much more logical target than Miller and he is ony fantasy team so he better do well :)

I think Helsley is most obvious fit with the lowest cost of acquisition (among Helsley, Bednar, and Miller), but Bednar would also look good in orange and black.

And amen on him doing well regardless, I passed on some dudes to draft him in 2 different leagues so I legit NEED him to perform well from here on out.

In one of those leagues btw, Bednar and Alexis Diaz were the 2 closers I drafted. LOL, whoops!

15 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think Helsley is most obvious fit with the lowest cost of acquisition (among Helsley, Bednar, and Miller), but Bednar would also look good in orange and black.

And amen on him doing well regardless, I passed on some dudes to draft him in 2 different leagues so I legit NEED him to perform well from here on out.

In one of those leagues btw, Bednar and Alexis Diaz were the 2 closers I drafted. LOL, whoops!

St Louis may not be a seller. They spend a bunch of money on pitchers this year and they aren't out of it yet. They are only half a game out and looked pretty good against us.