The oldest baseball cliche is the truest..."Baseball is a game of inches"

The opening game Monday night MIGHT have been won had O'Hearn had a couple of more inches in height on a HR ball that was caught by Varsho. Then today, the game MIGHT have been tied had Santander had another inch on that play at the plate(I still think he was safe). Also later today, the ball hit by Westburg took a bad hop and by an inch or two bounced off the second baseman's glove.If the play is made, even the HR wouldn't have won the game. Then, of course, Adley's HR by mere inches cleared the barrier for the game winner. I realize this speech from Al Pacino was about football....but this is what he said about inches making all the difference "

"You find out life’s this game of inches.In life, or (in baseball) the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don’t quite make it. One half second, too slow, too fast, you don’t quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They’re in every break of the game, every minute, every second

-----Al Pacino / Coach D’Amato: 
"On this team, we fight for that inch."

We STILL need to shake up this lineup to find people who can put a bat on a ball or lift a fly ball or move runners.Mullins must sit...Id have Hays in CF, maybe OHearn in LF or DH and get someone who cn avoid a strikeout.12 more K's today..O-10 with RISP , until..."the game of inches" made the difference.

• Upvote 2

And, Toronto's two runs came on a 2-out hit that bounced out of the tip of Santander's glove after a bad route. If he takes one step differently or the ball takes a slightly different arc, that might be a catch, and conceivably a 1-0 victory. 

You're right that narrow margins were all over the game today. 

I had to stop watching after about the sixth inning because I had to work, but I was confident that the game was lost, the streak was over, and our long national nightmare was just starting.

I was very surprised that we won, because the managing was bad and the hitting was bad, although it wasn’t really bad 11 hits is nothing to be ashamed of. I was also not surprised that we won, because this is a good team.

When Mateo backed up that play at short, and the runner couldn’t score,  that was a great fundamental baseball play, and it’s one of the little things that the Orioles do that will continue to separate them from the rest of the league.

The New York series showed a really sloppy team, and we’ve played several really sloppy teams. The orioles aren’t sloppy. Despite the problems, it’s still a great team.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Philip said:

I was very surprised that we won [... ]I was also not surprised that we won, because this is a good team.

I know what you meant here, but still thought it was funny.

Edited by SilverRocket
Clarification

1 hour ago, SilverRocket said:

I know what you meant here, but still thought it was funny.

Yeah, this is a very good team having a very lousy game, and winning anyway. But it’s like my friend wants said, “good players make their own luck.“

So true about the inches. Also with the drama and tension of momentum, and its reversal. As the yogi says, life (and baseball) is like dreams: it can change in an instant. 

This one, a cliffhanger all the way, the momentum and every break going Toronto's way, the O's with nightmare inning after inning of frustration. Then suddenly, a lucky throw of the dice and they walk off a winner!