Trade options for the outfield

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it’s completely off the table that the team would trade for an OFer unless we see injuries. 

The only reason people are contemplating trading for an outfielder on a team with like seven or nine good MLB outfielders is that fans are 56 times less patient than GMs. Or at least good GMs, which we have. How many weeks ago was Cowser being touted as a possible MVP candidate? Now he's ready to be DFA'd!

Things never change. Somebody is always caught up in the last two weeks and can't see the season is six months long.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The only reason people are contemplating trading for an outfielder on a team with like seven or nine good MLB outfielders is that fans are 56 times less patient than GMs. Or at least good GMs, which we have. How many weeks ago was Cowser being touted as a possible MVP candidate? Now he's ready to be DFA'd!

Things never change. Somebody is always caught up in the last two weeks and can't see the season is six months long.

Exactly right.

There is some logic behind trading for an established CFer IF Mullins doesn’t turn it around and if guys don’t show that they can handle the position, even if they are optimal long term options.

But that’s a lot of ifs and we have a ways to go with that.

Now, I would still trade for Robert but he’s not realistic at all because the WS want 110 cents in the dollar for an oft injured player with one great season. Just like they did with Cease, they want to treat the one great season as the norm. 

38 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not impatient at all.  I'm just not sure that Hays and/or Mullins will be productive this season.  I am not calling for Cowser to be demoted as I think he's a long-term solution.  I'm just not confident that a replacement for either of those guys is currently in the Orioles' system. 

You've got Nick Maton in Norfolk hitting .347 with a .975 OPS.   He also has MLB experience at all 3 OF positions.  Between him and the rest of the MiLB outfielders, why do you need to go sign another one.?  Maton is 27 years old. 

I think the lineup needs a sparkplug. And a lights out BP piece (or two). 

I'm just not sure the O's have the pieces to trade for them. Or at the very least I'm not sure I'm going to like what it would take to acquire them. 

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

I think the lineup needs a sparkplug. And a lights out BP piece (or two). 

I'm just not sure the O's have the pieces to trade for them. Or at the very least I'm not sure I'm going to like what it would take to acquire them. 

Of course the O's have to pieces to trade for what they need.  I don't think we're still the #1 farm system with all the graduations, but we're not far from it.  Is the goal to have the #1 farm system or to win the World Series?

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Of course the O's have to pieces to trade for what they need.  I don't think we're still the #1 farm system with all the graduations, but we're not far from it.  Is the goal to have the #1 farm system or to win the World Series?

I'm only suggesting that I would not like it if it took giving up a Kjerstad and Basallo to get the top talent the team needs. 

27 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I'm only suggesting that I would not like it if it took giving up a Kjerstad and Basallo to get the top talent the team needs. 

Kjerstad is the best prospect we have that you can argue should be available in the right deal.

The question is his defense and that could be enough to trade himself. I would rather keep him but should be available in the right deal.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kjerstad is the best prospect we have that you can argue should be available in the right deal.

The question is his defense and that could be enough to trade himself. I would rather keep him but should be available in the right deal.

I don't have a problem dealing Kjerstad in the right deal. I don't have a problem dealing Basallo in the right deal. 

I do have a problem losing both of them. You know?

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I'm willing to trade Kjerstad as Mayo can take his place on the roster. Plus at some point you have to trade talent to get talent in return. I want something better than Jack Flaherty and Fujinami this year to bolster the pitching staff.

We do need a RH OF bat to compliment our LH OF bats. Either Pham or Hicks. 

I still don’t know why people are against Hicks. He’s a SH. Can play all three OF spots. Takes pitches. Had an .860 OPS with us last season and hit a 3 run HR in the playoffs. 

With the current makeup of the roster when would Stowers or Kjerstad play?  Hicks would play versus LHP. There’s a clear path for ABs for him. 

Harrison Bader of the Mets is another option.  He's an above average center fielder,so would help on defense.  He doesn't bring much offensively, with a .659 OPS and only 1 HR this year.  His OPS against LHP this year is barely above .600, but for his career, he hits LHP better w/ a .807 OPS. 

Why don't we just play Mateo in CF vs. a lefty? He is a natural fielder and great athlete. He might not be Mullins out there but I think he would be close enough and provides a lot more at the plate then Mullins does vs. a left hander.

17 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it’s completely off the table that the team would trade for an OFer unless we see injuries. 

I would go a step further and say trading for an positional player at this point is off the table and should be.  Focus is and should be on pitching especially high leverage relievers.

3 minutes ago, The Goob said:

I would go a step further and say trading for a positional player at this point is off the table and should be.  Focus is and should be on pitching especially high leverage relievers.

No doubt. This thread was about OFers but you are right, it’s just not on the table.