Baumann DFA

ChipTait

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Not saying they are one jerk but there’s always likely something that is the straw that broke the camels back and that outing yesterday may have been it.

My read is that they are pivoting to focus on ceiling right now. The ultimate goal is stacking the playoff roster with high end talent. Baumann is solid but has never been elite. Perez has shown he is capable of 1.40 ERA level, so even if he is a worse pitcher now they are giving him a shot to find his 2022 stuff. If it doesn't happen soon he may be next to go.

Urias and Mateo should be very concerned as well.

Don’t really understand the amount of disrespect Cionel Perez gets here.

The guy posts a 1.54 ERA in 2021. He then scuffles a little (maybe a lot) to start last season, but closes the season with a 1.86 ERA from mid-June on. And even this year, since coming back from the injury in his season opener, he’s had scoreless outings in 6 of 7 appearances.

Cionel Perez has a 2.68 ERA as an Oriole, good for a 149 ERA+ — which would place him among the top 10 Orioles relievers ever. He has had a couple rough patches, but he’s also had multiple extended periods of elite performance. 

But we’re saying we should have cut this guy loose in order to spare Mike Baumann, who is the definition of a replacement reliever? Unless you’re only considering the last week or so in your decision — which I do legitimately think is the case for some — I have trouble seeing how one would conclude Baumann is the one they should have kept. Perez has demonstrated, multiple times over a half-season or more, an elite level that Baumann has never come close to sustaining.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

My read is that they are pivoting to focus on ceiling right now. The ultimate goal is stacking the playoff roster with high end talent. Baumann is solid but has never been elite. Perez has shown he is capable of 1.40 ERA level, so even if he is a worse pitcher now they are giving him a shot to find his 2022 stuff. If it doesn't happen soon he may be next to go.

Mateo is fine for now. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles ae trying to win a World Series and I guess they've finally decided that they are not going burn an option on a better pitcher just not to lose their 8th best reliever.

Baumann is such an inconsistent pitcher, but I don't think there is any chance he makes it through waivers. Saying that, it's the evolution of a winning team that you have to start "sacrificing" serviceable, but inconsistent pitchers/players to move forward.

If Baumann may have a good year in him somewhere, but he's just so inconsistent I don't know how anyone can use up consistently in anything other than a mop up role.

This post wins the thread. Close it down. 

Baumann has some talent but is consistently inconsistent. Last night with a 7 run lead, walking two guys…dude c’mon. 

The other post about bullpen guys with 4.50 ERAs being a dime a dozen is spot on, too. 

He is talented, I wouldn’t be surprised if he catches on somewhere else and has a turnaround. I will be less surprised if he’s out of the majors in a year or two. 

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

I'm guessing there will be multiple Baumanns available through the rest of the season for little or no cost. 

You could argue Yohan Ramirez had better stuff.

Posted (edited)

My issue with (potentially) letting Baumann go isn’t because I feel he’s some major loss (although I do think he will have some good relief years going forward.

My issue is that we lack arms in general. Yea Povich and McDermott could factor into the pen eventually and Tate is down there but is he even an upgrade over Baumann?

I just don’t think we have the arms that makes you say, yep we can get rid of this guy.

If we make a trade or 2 soon and bring in better arms, so be it.  No issue with the decision but barring that, I’m not seeing the need to do it.

Of course, it’s not definite he’s gone either.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Don’t really understand the amount of disrespect Cionel Perez gets here.

The guy posts a 1.54 ERA in 2021. He then scuffles a little (maybe a lot) to start last season, but closes the season with a 1.86 ERA from mid-June on. And even this year, since coming back from the injury in his season opener, he’s had scoreless outings in 6 of 7 appearances.

Cionel Perez has a 2.68 ERA as an Oriole, good for a 149 ERA+ — which would place him among the top 10 Orioles relievers ever. He has had a couple rough patches, but he’s also had multiple extended periods of elite performance. 

But we’re saying we should have cut this guy loose in order to spare Mike Baumann, who is the definition of a replacement reliever? Unless you’re only considering the last week or so in your decision — which I do legitimately think is the case for some — I have trouble seeing how one would conclude Baumann is the one they should have kept. Perez has demonstrated, multiple times over a half-season or more, an elite level that Baumann has never come close to sustaining.

Exactly this. And even when Cionel does give up runs, it's usually seeing eye ground balls. He's a bit wild, but he doesn't give up a lot of hard contact.

41 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mateo has no concern. He’s playing well and it’s obvious they like him or else he would have been cut last year.

29 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Exactly this. And even when Cionel does give up runs, it's usually seeing eye ground balls. He's a bit wild, but he doesn't give up a lot of hard contact.

Cionel isn't qualified but his avg exit velocity is 93.7 which is like bottom of the league percentile. His hard-hit % is also bottom third of the league in percentile. Couple that with a really bad K rate. That gets players DFA'd. He has always been well below average in exit velo and hard hit %, even in his one good year.

• Upvote 1

I like Bauman and think there is a quality pitcher in there.  Only in his second year as a reliever, I think as he matures and acclimates to his role he could really settle in.  He may be what he is too and someone had to go I guess.  Still there is  something to be said about chemistry and clearly he was a well liked teammate.

Wish him well.

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

Cionel isn't qualified but his avg exit velocity is 93.7 which is like bottom of the league percentile. His hard-hit % is also bottom third of the league in percentile. Couple that with a really bad K rate. That gets players DFA'd. He has always been well below average in exit velo and hard hit %, even in his one good year.

Well, maybe that hasn't been the story this year, but I remember him being a soft contact guy in years past.