The 2024 Trade Deadline

Posted (edited)

Posted (edited)

Some big trades have already happened as well as some small ones, and while most trades occur just before the deadline it wouldn't surprise me to see Elias deal sooner rather than later.  

Edited by Greg Pappas

6. The Orioles look like a team that is poised for a deep playoff run, with the exception being the bullpen. Personally, I think the O’s are at least two arms short. Who matches up well with them? — Keith R.

I think the Orioles need an impact closer like Mason Miller or Ryan Helsley of the Cardinals. They could use two more set-up relievers as well. In terms of who matches up well with them, the answer is all of the 29 other teams. That’s because the Orioles possess one of the best and deepest farm systems in baseball and have enough organizational depth to trade multiple outfielders, infielders and pitchers in their farm system. However, it’s important for general manager Mike Elias to continue to not include any of their top prospects — such as Jackson Holliday, Samuel Basallo, Coby Mayo and Enrique Bradfield Jr. — in trades, like he was able to do in the swap for Corbin Burnes. The Orioles’ system is so loaded, Elias could dangle talented-but-lesser prospects — like Connor Norby, Dylan Beavers, Jud Fabian and Braylin Tavera — to accomplish their goals.

7. Assuming the Orioles are buyers, which of their top prospects would seem redundant to their depth at the MLB level and thus be looked at as legitimate trade candidates? — Christian L.

I think the best trade bait for Elias at the end of the day will be outfielder Heston Kjerstad and one of their top pitching prospects — either righty Chayce McDermott or lefty Cade Povich. A package combination that included two of those players should be able to land Baltimore an impact closer and a legitimate set-up reliever or two. Again, if I’m the Orioles, I would prefer to deal from the prospect pool I listed in the above question, but if push comes to shove they have enough depth to trade Kjerstad and McDermott or Povich.

8. Does Erick Fedde make sense for the Orioles? Would a White Sox-Orioles swap of Fedde for Connor Norby make sense for both teams? Baltimore gets a controllable starting pitcher on a team-friendly contract and the White Sox add a promising prospect to their second base/left field mix. — Greg D.

This trade idea makes sense for both sides, but let’s expand the deal and try to acquire one of the White Sox relievers as well, either righty Steven Wilson or lefty Tim Hill, or for that matter, let’s go bigger and propose a deal for Fedde, Michael Kopech and Steven Wilson for a prospect package of Dylan Beavers, Jud Fabian and Norby. Fedde improves the Orioles’ rotation, Kopech can share the closer role with Craig Kimbrel and Wilson adds another quality arm to the bullpen.

That's from another recent NYT article.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Some big trades have already happened as well as some small ones, and while most trades occur just before the deadline it wouldn't surprise me to see Elias deal sooner rather than later.  

It would be a pleasant surprise.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It would be a pleasant surprise.

Agreed.  Not expecting it, but it would be nice.  The White Sox, Angels, A's, Rockies, and Marlins all are most certainly ready to deal.  It's too soon to say with the Reds and Mets.

Edited by Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Agreed.  Not expecting it, but it would be nice.  The White Sox, Angels, A's, Rockies, and Marlins all are most certainly ready to deal.  It's too soon to say with the Reds and Mets.

How about Pirates and Blue Jays ?  Do they look like sellers soon ?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

The Pirates are only 2.5 GB in the wild card, and the Jays are 4.5.  So, it could happen at some point, but it'd be a bit surprising if they don't reevaluate closer to the deadline.  

Edited by Greg Pappas

36 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Pirates nave some nice young pieces, but they don't really have any older guys at the end of contracts that have any value.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Pirates nave some nice young pieces, but they don't really have any older guys at the end of contracts that have any value.

I'd be surprised if the Jays and O's would deal with one another, being AL East rivals, but inter-division trades have occurred.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Has anyone ever predicted a trade that Elias has made?

I doubt it.  Predicting any trade is unlikely, but getting the exact pieces correct would be outstanding.  Many speculated on acquiring Corbin Burns, and while Ortiz and Hall were likely mentioned as possibilities, getting that deal exactly would have been extraordinary.  This goes for any GM, ever, at least in my estimation.  One for one trades could be the exception, but still, it would be unusual to get right.  Speculating is simply, that.  It's not for everyone.

Edited by Greg Pappas

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

The Pirates are only 2.5 GB in the wild card, and the Jays are 4.5.  So, it could happen at some point, but it'd be a bit surprising if they don't reevaluate closer to the deadline.  

Thanks Greg , I forgot about wild card standings. All the teams you listed plus these two probably do their own evaluations by then 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'd be surprised if the Jays and O's would deal with one another, being AL East rivals, but inter-division trades have occurred.

The last inter- division trade involving the Orioles was the Zach Britton trade which Yankees acquired in for their 3 pitching prospects back 

4 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

The last inter- division trade involving the Orioles was the Zach Britton trade which Yankees acquired in for their 3 pitching prospects back 

Yeah, it happens from time to time.  Never say never.

• Upvote 1