The 2024 Trade Deadline

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kremer, Hays/Mullins, Kjerstad, Norby and Tavera for Robert and Kopech?

Hays/Mullins going back to offset some salary and for roster purposes.  Maybe WS move them elsewhere or make it a 3 team trade.

Absolute trash return. Kopech sucks and Robert can't get through a season.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Kremer, Hays/Mullins, Kjerstad, Norby and Tavera for Robert and Kopech?

Hays/Mullins going back to offset some salary and for roster purposes.  Maybe WS move them elsewhere or make it a 3 team trade.

You know I love to speculate about trade ideas and I'd love to have both Robert and Kopech, but...
While Robert is the only potential superstar among positional targets he would probably be an unneccesary risk for the O's.  The issue with Robert, as we all know, is health.  His injury history is pretty damning.   
Kopech is a potential stud reliever if we could harness his potential.  Kopech's pitched poorly last year and thus far this season has been more down than up but he looked like a future star after the 2022 season.  The 28-year-old has a dynamic arm and could be a great addition if he were able to regain his prior form.  He is, however, controlled only through next season. 

With all of that said I could see Elias dealing for Kopech, as he has added arms that had less than ideal performance, but good upside.  

Regarding your idea: Dealing Kremer makes little sense to me as he's a solid #4/5 starter on a team that may be looking to add another starter to the mix, not deal one away.  The W-Sox would be looking to add prospects and with Roberts' contract a bargain if he's healthy, I wouldn't think Mullins or Hays would appeal to Chicago.  Best guess for Robert and Kopech:  Kjerstad, Bradfield, Baumeister (RHP) and Leandro Arias (SS) might be about right. Might.

Edited by Greg Pappas

9 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

You know I love to speculate about trade ideas and I'd love to have both Robert and Kopech, but...
While Robert is the only potential superstar among positional targets he would probably be an unneccesary risk for the O's.  The issue with Robert, as we all know, is health.  His injury history is pretty damning.   
Kopech is a potential stud reliever if we could harness his potential.  Kopech's pitched poorly last year and thus far this season has been more down than up but he looked like a future star after the 2022 season.  The 28-year-old has a dynamic arm and could be a great addition if he were able to regain his prior form.  He is, however, controlled only through next season. 

With all of that said I could see Elias dealing for Kopech, as he has added arms that had less than ideal performance, but good upside.  

Regarding your idea: Dealing Kremer makes little sense to me as he's a solid #4/5 starter on a team that may be looking to add another starter to the mix, not deal one away.  The W-Sox would be looking to add prospects and with Roberts' contract a bargain if he's healthy, I wouldn't think Mullins or Hays would appeal to Chicago.  Best guess for Robert and Kopech:  Kjerstad, Bradfield, Baumeister (RHP) and Leandro Arias (SS) might be about right. Might.

Kremer doesn’t have to be in the deal.

He is a guy I put in there to avoid having to trade any of the top 3.

I don’t view that deal as giving up a ton. (Same with your proposed deal)

Robert is a risk for sure but he’s a risk I take if I’m not giving up any of the top guys we have. Kjerstad is a very good prospect but we may not have room for him anyway.

Robert represents a high upside play who bats righty and plays a premium position. 

Id be fine with your deal as well.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

No GM likes Kopech as much as Sports Guy does

Kopech has some of the best stuff in baseball. He is risky and if the team doesn’t believe they can fix him, so be it but he’s with arguably the worst organization in all of pro sports, so I take his results with a grain of salt.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Perhaps... Kopech has an electric arm and will entice many GM's.  Whether Elias is among them and willing to deal for him is unknown.  Besides SG, I'd also love to add him.

I’m intrigued with Kopech as well . One thing I like about Elias is he doesn’t show you his cards or mention names . We can only speculate 🧐 on what he is shopping for.  

54 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Perhaps... Kopech has an electric arm and will entice many GM's.  Whether Elias is among them and willing to deal for him is unknown.  Besides SG, I'd also love to add him.

I guess it is probably a command and control thing, but Kopech gets lit up an awful lot.  None of his pitches are above average even though his FB velocity is well above average.  Maybe the Orioles think they can fix him, but it didn't work so great with Fujinami who has a somewhat similar profile though not as good of a K rate.

Below is Kopech from this year

image.png.d2fc3037742a3a7e98b3227a20ec818b.png 

Fujinami from 2023

image.png.32ee6a9121200698c101e7426d22628f.png

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

IMHO Crochet for Basallo would be a bad trade for us, and that writer should do a better job of understanding the circumstances involved in such an idea.  Crochet is a special talent with two and a half years of control remaining.  He is in the midst of his first full season as a starter and will likely run into an innings limit issue later this season.  I'd LOVE to add him, but not at the cost of six years of control of one of baseball's top overall prospects.  The O's are highly unlikely to deal Basallo, but if we did, it would be for a less risky star player.

Edited by Greg Pappas