The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yankees pen is not dominant.  

It’s better than ours. And the Phills have way better talent in the pen.

We literally have zero dominant guys with serious strikeout stuff.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I guess we will see. But if we don’t improve the team’s pitching, it is very likely that we all will be disappointed in October (like last postseason). You gotta have the horses to win the race.

I’m too busy enjoying another 100-game winning season to think about last years playoffs or what will happen this October.   Elias will make additions without giving up the top 3 prospects.  Maybe even top 4.   I can live with that.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Miller nor Crochet (for example) are “marginal improvements” they are the kind of talents that can move the needle.

Nobody is suggesting nor expecting that the O’s are going to trade top tier prospects for non-difference making players. But we hoarded/hedged last deadline and for much of the offseason. Now we have the expected scenario, too much position player talent in the org and not enough pitching talent.  

We traded Ortiz for Burnes. 

Clearly SP will be biggest need in 25 as well. I like Crochet. That said there are innings concerns with him this year. I’m not moving Mayo/ Basallo for him. I can see moving Kjerstad for a package. 

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Who do the Yanks have that’s so wonderful?

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I expect Elias to make additions to the pen, but the O's still took 2 of 3 from the Phillies and 3 of 4 from the Yankees with their better pens.  As far as pen upgrades, I would rather have 1 elite upgrade than 3 good upgrades.  The O's already have a lot of good relievers. 

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The bye didn't exactly help the O's last year.

No and if they don’t get it this yeat it’s not the end of the world. That said it’s still a series you avoid. 

Ultimately I would still prefer to have it.  

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I guess we will see. But if we don’t improve the team’s pitching, it is very likely that we all will be disappointed in October (like last postseason). You gotta have the horses to win the race.

there’s no one available within sniffing distance worthy of any of JH/Mayo/Basallo

lirerally no one. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That’s probably what it is going to take in order for us to succeed through multiple rounds in October. We do not have a credible game three starter at this point.

Would you be confident in Irvin/Suarez (who has ZERO quality starts on the entire season)/Kremer out pitching Rodon.

Yes I would also love more pitching, but a big part of this team's strategy is wrecking machine offense, if youre the Yanks do you have confidence that Rodon can get thru this line up 3 times. 

51 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We traded Ortiz for Burnes. 

Clearly SP will be biggest need in 25 as well. I like Crochet. That said there are innings concerns with him this year. I’m not moving Mayo/ Basallo for him. I can see moving Kjerstad for a package. 

Crochet was just an example. It doesn’t have to be him and it’s not Crochet or bust. We just need a suitable replacement for Bradish and backend bullpen help.

54 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m too busy enjoying another 100-game winning season to think about last years playoffs or what will happen this October.   Elias will make additions without giving up the top 3 prospects.  Maybe even top 4.   I can live with that.

Like many things about the O’s we don’t agree. But I appreciate and respect the difference in opinion.

53 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Who do the Yanks have that’s so wonderful?

Well for starters, there closer and set up man are both better than ours.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that the Yanks pen is better than the Phills by any stretch. But it is better than ours.

47 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

there’s no one available within sniffing distance worthy of any of JH/Mayo/Basallo

lirerally no one. 

Holliday is not getting traded IMO, so there’s really no point in discussing that.

But there is a case to be made that the other two are a bit redundant and if we plan on doing some extensions, they could be expendable (at least one of them).

Off the top of my head. I would strongly consider Miller or Crochet for one of them.

I guess I look at it like this, I can see a realistic plausible scenario of us winning a championship or more without the services of Basallo or Mayo. However, I cannot see ya winning this season as is without a meaningful upgrade to the current pitching. Many said all last season, the pitching was good as is, until it (predictably) wasn’t.

39 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Yes I would also love more pitching, but a big part of this team's strategy is wrecking machine offense, if youre the Yanks do you have confidence that Rodon can get thru this line up 3 times. 

Objectively speaking I would have WAY MORE confidence in Rodon than Irvin/Kremer/Suarez. And I LOVE what both Irvin and Suarez have done for us this season and couldn’t have dreamed of either giving us any more than they have.

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Well for starters, there closer and set up man are both better than ours.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that the Yanks pen is better than the Phills by any stretch. But it is better than ours.

You do realize our pen has given up fewer runs, fewer hits, fewer BBs, has a lower WHIP, and has more Ks?  I get that they don’t pass your eye test, but the numbers don’t back that up.  With all that said, I think they need to reinforce the pen but let’s stop with the dramatics.