The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

At the same time he also already traded Ortiz and Hall for Burnes. That’s not a trade you make to not go for it at least a little bit when you’re in first place in the AL at the deadline. Looking around the AL, it also looks a lot weaker than it did last year. Last year you had the O’s, a 100 win TB team, a stronger Houston squad than this year’s team, and a Texas team that was much better than its record. Much of the O’s struggles have been against mediocre to bad teams as well - they have the best record in the league against teams over .500.

And overall they still have a very strong team, just with a few flaws/holes. The position players have the 3rd best WAR in the league, even if they’ve been pretty unclutch and bad in RISP situations. The pitching is also still 5th in WAR, 7th in ERA, and 9th in FIP. They have most of the key guys in place right now. They need a game 3 starter behind Burnes/Rodriguez and at least one backend relief guy, if not two. They could certainly improve quite a bit while not mortgaging the future and giving up Holliday, Mayo, or Basallo. 

Yeah but he didnt expect the amount of injuries to the pitching staff that we have had since making that trade.  Those put a damper on everything 

2 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

They can be but I judge by eye test. When I watch a Walker or Rizzo I see a difference maker. Mountcastle was a decent defender to start the season but over the past 2 months pretty below average. Mounty has also been a bad defender starting 18 years old at SS in minors. 

I'll agree that he was a bad defense Shortstop back in 2015.

Not sure why you bring it up....

But cool, you got your eye test.

Does anyone have a video link to that bases clearing error of Coby's at 1B? I've seen it described as a bad throw from first to third? That in and of itself seems weird. Maybe a case of third base instincts playing first? I can't imagine that would be a common blunder.

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I will have to find the article about this but they went into detail and it actually works to the benefit of the team trading for him overall. 

Not if they want him to pitch in the playoffs.

Or out of the pen.

Just now, oh-wee-ohs said:

Does anyone have a video link to that bases clearing error of Coby's at 1B? I've seen it described as a bad throw from first to third? That in and of itself seems weird. Maybe a case of third base instincts playing first? I can't imagine that would be a common blunder.

I heard the throw hit the runner.

I'm trying to figure out how he only has six assists in 131 innings.

33 minutes ago, interloper said:

A part of me wonders if Elias is looking at this team objectively and seeing that 3 of his starters are lost to injury, his closer stinks, the offense and defense came back down to earth, his bullpen is a mess, his two top pitching prospects are not going to give him much this year... And maybe he's thinking, ehhh it might just not be our year, better keep all the assets. 

I don't think that's necessarily the case, but you have to wonder how many moves it would take to really give this team a fighting chance in the playoffs, and is it worth it to Elias to move that many prospects in order to do that.

That is an honest assessment of the current team.  Something to keep in mind, the best teams in the AL, the Orioles, Yankess and Guardians are all playing bad baseball right now.  Can probably add the Redsox to that list too along with the Mariners.  Even though the O's have issues, a few good trades patches some holes and that might be all it takes to get to the World Series.  In a 7 game series, anything can happen.  

Elias has to make some deals to improve the team.  They are in it, you never know what happens next year.  Instead of the pitchers getting hurt, you could wait until next year and Gunnar and Adley get hurt.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can you explain the numbers Mayo is putting up at first in the minors?

He has six errors in 131 innings.  His E/A ratio is one.

Mountcastle has three errors in 743 innings.  His E/A ratio is 3/50.

The thing is do errors at first base really mean as much compared to other errors from other positions?   Mainly because they just don't commit many errors compared to other positions.  Even the bad first baseman.  It is just too easy of a position to play.  There is a reason why you see the fat non athletic guys playing First base in all of your softball leagues.  Because it is easy. 

IMO no.  Mainly because most errors come from not catching a bad one hop throw from the SS.   They rarely ever penalize the SS for that. 

I am not saying defense isn't important....but when it comes to defense first base is BY FAR the least important position of the field.  All of these guys can catch and field 95% of any ball coming at them.  Either thrown or hit.  The difference for the elite FB is who can catch the other 3% of balls hit or thrown at them.  And I just don't think it makes that much of a difference overall. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Yeah but he didnt expect the amount of injuries to the pitching staff that we have had since making that trade.  Those put a damper on everything 

None of the pitching injuries were surprising besides Wells and Coulombe (who will likely be back anyways). Disappointing? Yes. Surprising? No. 

They have Corbin Burnes for likely one playoff run. They’re the best team in the AL with flaws that could easily be fixed by 2-3 trades without giving up one of their top 3 prospects. It’s also a fairly weak AL this year and you never know what next year holds in terms of performance or injuries. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not if they want him to pitch in the playoffs.

Or out of the pen.

No the fact that the extra money and conditions for pitching in the playoffs actually made it better for the club acquiring him.

I thought the same as you at first until I read it and it explained it. 

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The thing is do errors at first base really mean as much compared to other errors from other positions?   Mainly because they just don't commit many errors compared to other positions.  Even the bad first baseman.  It is just too easy of a position to play.  There is a reason why you see the fat non athletic guys playing First base in all of your softball leagues.  Because it is easy. 

IMO no.  Mainly because most errors come from not catching a bad one hope throw from the SS.   They rarely ever penalize the SS for that. 

I am not saying defense isn't important....but when it comes to defense first base is BY FAR the least important position of the field.  All of these guys can catch and field 95% of any ball coming at them.  Either thrown or hit.  The difference for the elite FB iis who can catch the other 3% of balls hit or thrown at them.  And I just don't think it makes that much of a difference overall. 

Uh what?  Those plays the error is almost always given to the SS. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

None of the pitching injuries were surprising besides Wells and Coulombe (who will likely be back anyways). Disappointing? Yes. Surprising? No. 

They have Corbin Burnes for likely one playoff run. They’re the best team in the AL with flaws that could easily be fixed by 2-3 trades without giving up one of their top 3 prospects. It’s also a fairly weak AL this year and you never know what next year holds in terms of performance or injuries. 

No I agree.  Especially Bradish.  Elias should have made another move after he heard about that injury back over the winter.   Combine that with Means not being able to pitch in the playoffs?  I mean......cmon maaaaaaaaaaaaaan.  :)

That is 100% on him.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

That is why what he wants works to the benefit of the team trading for him.  They have options and they have to give up less to get him.

I’m quite sure the White Sox aren’t lowering their asking price

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

No the fact that the extra money and conditions for pitching in the playoffs actually made it better for the club acquiring him.

I thought the same as you at first until I read it and it explained it. 

That's assuming the White Sox are reasonable and the other team somehow doesn't need him to pitch in the playoffs.