The 2024 Trade Deadline

31 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

No, trades are the opposite of "do or don't." No one team can unilaterally compel a trade into existence. All a single team can do is assign value to available players at positions of need and make offers. That is all you can control.

If the argument is that a trade can be compelled into existence by increasing the offer until the other side has no choice but to accept, then that is not a decisionmaker I would trust or respect.

The front office is trying. They are identifying positions of need and they are making offers. They rightly value the players on our roster. And that's good enough for me.

Excellent comment, the only thing that it leaves out is the danger of one club(in this case Bmore), overvaluing its assets and not making trades that would’ve been beneficial.

16 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Right. That's what I'm saying though. It may just be me, but I wouldnt be excited about a Pache for Pillar swap. Pillar doesnt move the needle for us in my opinion. 

I guess in that case we essentially get an Austin Hays type back plus added a solid reliever in Dominguez. But I just have a feeling we would be forcing Pillar into every lineup vs LHP and I just dont see his offensive production being great in that role. 

Pache doesn’t hit well enough compared to Pillar who is hitting .375 with a 1.041 ops vs lefties.  Neither Mullins or Cowser hit lefties well so you don’t want them facing them much.  

4 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Excellent comment, the only thing that it leaves out is the danger of one club(in this case Bmore), overvaluing its assets and not making trades that would’ve been beneficial.

You could also be undervaluing our assets. There's a lot of undervaluing of our prospects on here. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

As far as I know the trade deadline isn’t over yet.  It still a stupid statement to make even if the Orioles don’t do nothing else by 6:00 pm tomorrow, but it is par for the course for Laconfora.  Last year he wanted the Orioles to trade 2 or 3 of their top prospects for Ohtani because that would have “guaranteed” the Orioles the World Series.  How would have that worked out?  He is so wrong on so many things like Harbaugh and the Ravens both wanted to part ways a few years ago.  I am guilty of tuning in because I have to admit I want to hear what next stupid opinion he is going to put forth.  I really like Ken his partner but he is hard to take.  Same reason I continue to read the game thread here.  It is tough to look away from a car wreck.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

You could also be undervaluing our assets. There's a lot of undervaluing of our prospects on here. 

I’m perfectly willing to trade anybody we’ve got, and potential, years and need would drive the negotiating.

But prospects age and lose value. Stowers isn’t worth as much as he was a year ago, for instance. 

17 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Many on this board wanted us to just want it enough to send Manny for Chase Headley a little more than 10 years ago. 

21 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I’m perfectly willing to trade anybody we’ve got, and potential, years and need would drive the negotiating.

But prospects age and lose value. Stowers isn’t worth as much as he was a year ago, for instance. 

Stowers was injured a bunch last year. Health combined with solid performance in his brief opportunities, I think his value has gone up.

4 hours ago, emmett16 said:

What a genuinely dreadful trade for the White Sox.  An obvious question is why did the O's not work out something directly with the WS for Fedde and Kopech that would be both affordable and better for both sides?  Head-scratcher.

43 minutes ago, accinfo said:

As far as I know the trade deadline isn’t over yet.  It still a stupid statement to make even if the Orioles don’t do nothing else by 6:00 pm tomorrow, but it is par for the course for Laconfora.  Last year he wanted the Orioles to trade 2 or 3 of their top prospects for Ohtani because that would have “guaranteed” the Orioles the World Series.  How would have that worked out?  He is so wrong on so many things like Harbaugh and the Ravens both wanted to part ways a few years ago.  I am guilty of tuning in because I have to admit I want to hear what next stupid opinion he is going to put forth.  I really like Ken his partner but he is hard to take.  Same reason I continue to read the game thread here.  It is tough to look away from a car wreck.

Yeah Ken is a good guy. He's a good friend of one of my cousins. Met him a lot over the years and became friendly with him. JLC ruins listening to them. He doesn't even deserve to be acknowledged or talked about really.