The 2024 Trade Deadline

5 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I think the obsession is that some players like Irvin, Suarez will come back to earth. What was our pitching rank last year before the postseason debacle? I think the eye test says we have a good rotation with a good bullpen. Nothing elite. 

I don’t disagree, I just don’t like it when people imply that the Orioles’ pitching is average or below and that our team is unbalanced. The pitching is quite solid and the team is quite balanced.  Is it worth trading a bunch of offensive prospects to add pitching?  I’d do some of that, but I wouldn’t go overboard. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Birdland in NC said:

I hope Norby, Mayo, and Kjersted are traded for pitching, even if it’s prospects 

Why would we be trading for prospects when we have a legit roster for the foreseeable future (at least the next 3 seasons) that has legit World Series aspirations?

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I would cross #1 and #2 off the list because Elias won’t pay the price.   Crochet is the one, if he can stay healthy, looks like he could make the biggest difference come October but a lot can happen between now and then.   Are any of these other guys sure to be better than Kremer and Irvin the rest of the year?

I don’t see a need for SP right now, unless Kremer won’t be returning this season (which I have no reason to believe is the case). Kremer and Irvin are fine for back end the rotation guys IMO. The top 3 of the rotation is good enough (as long as Grayson gets his command in order - which I think he will).

IMO the real need is the back end of the bullpen. I in no way want to be in a position to have to trust Kimbrel and Cano through multiple rounds in the postseason against the best teams. IMO that is a recipe for almost certain disappointment. Elias gambled on our rotation and only made a token addition (Flaherty) at the deadline. And that didn’t work out so well. I hope he invests a bit more in 2024’s opportunity as compared to 2023.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t see a need for SP right now, unless Kremer won’t be returning this season (which I have no reason to believe is the case). Kremer and Irvin are fine for back end the rotation guys IMO. The top 3 of the rotation is good enough (as long as Grayson gets his command in order - which I think he will).

IMO the real need is the back end of the bullpen. I in no way want to be in a position to have to trust Kimbrel and Cano through multiple rounds in the postseason against the best teams. IMO that is a recipe for almost certain disappointment. Elias gambled on our rotation and only made a token addition (Flaherty) at the deadline. And that didn’t work out so well. I hope he invests a bit more in 2024’s opportunity as compared to 2023.

Regarding our needs by priority, I think if we polled the Hangout, the bullpen would win in a landslide. I agree wholeheartedly.  With that said, adding another starter would be a good idea in my view, as our depth has been weakened. :) 

Edited by Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Kjerstad hasn't proven he can play MLB OF yet.  I'm pretty sure he can hit MLB pitching, but he has to find a place too. 

Sure, but we all know that Santander and Hays, not to mention Mullins, are not going to be Orioles long term, nor will O'Hearn/Mountcastle be around forever.  Cowser likely has one OF spot, leaving the other two possibly open, 1st and DH.  Plenty of spots to get both Kjerstad and Mayo on the team if that's the plan.  Cowser in CF potentially, or in one of LF/RF if we don't like Cowser in CF long term, then RF/LF and 1st/DH between Mayo, Kjerstad, Stowers, Mountcastle/O'Hearn, depending on who is still around.  Point being, there is room for Mayo, and he's bat is too good to trade IMO, unless we just get an incredible offer.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How much does Joey Ortiz’s success help GMs value our prospects?  Heck, in addition to our own guys like Cowser and Stowers. We don’t even have to talk about the super prospects. 

I'd say it helps in the overall consideration that our prospects are very good.  As with most prospects, there is a period of adjustment when rookies often struggle. 

• Holliday did, Gunnar did initially, then figured it out big time. 
  • Westburg was decent in his rookie season but has big great this year. Westy looks like a major piece moving forward. 
  • Cowser was awful in his limited at bats last season but is in the running for Rookie of the Year this season. 
  • Stowers has played very well thus far in limited at bats but was not considered among our top tier (or two) prospects.  He should have a career in the league, but whether it's here or not remains to be seen.
  • Kjerstad was given a cup of coffee and sent back to AAA, where he's been tremendous, with an OPS over 1.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Cuellar35 said:

How does the board view this prospective trade?  Orioles send Norby, Bradfield Jr and Povich to Marlins for Luzardo?  Sounds reasonable.

I'd like to see a quality bullpen acquisition or two before dealing for a SP.  With that said, I have doubts the Marlins would look for that trade, as the headliner would need to be a higher level of prospect.  Kjerstad, perhaps, along with Povich+ might do it.  But again, bullpen first, which means those same players may be in play for those acquisitions. :)

Edited by Greg Pappas

What hurts us for the deadline a bit is the that the group of hitting prospects like Wagner, Horvath, and EBJ, have struggled. 

Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo, are untouchable. I don’t think we’d sell low on EBJ. 

So that leaves Kjerstad, Norby, Povich, McDermott, and De Leon, as the most likely pieces to be traded. 

• Upvote 1

Jim Bowden said yesterday on the Front Office show on Sirius XM the Orioles are looking at upgrades in bullpen. He said he found it interesting they are also looking for a RH platoon OF.  

He said he could see them go after a closer or multiple late inning arms. Also added he wouldn’t be surprised if they looked at another SP.  

Just now, eddie83 said:

Jim Bowden said yesterday on the Front Office show on Sirius XM the Orioles are looking at upgrades in bullpen. He said he found it interesting they are also looking for a RH platoon OF.  

He said he could see them go after a closer or multiple late inning arms. Also added he wouldn’t be surprised if they looked at another SP.  

Sign me  up for all three. Go big or go home. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

Sign me  up for all three. Go big or go home. 

Time will tell. Have to see where they are injury wise in 7-8 weeks. 

Of course that applies to the whole sport. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What hurts us for the deadline a bit is the that the group of hitting prospects like Wagner, Horvath, and EBJ, have struggled. 

Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo, are untouchable. I don’t think we’d sell low on EBJ. 

So that leaves Kjerstad, Norby, Povich, McDermott, and De Leon, as the most likely pieces to be traded. 

Beavers should be in there somewhere. Plenty of A-to-AA SP prospects we could include in deal as well.