Loewen unimpressive again

vab

Four innings, 5 earned runs for Loewen tonight. He got bombed in the 1st inning with back to back homers and it could have been worse if he hadn't gotten a double play just before the home runs. He then settled down in the 2nd and 3rd before falling apart again in the 4th. A batter reached on a dribbler to the right side when Loewen couldn't get to 1st base on a ball the 1st baseman went too far to try to get. The batter ended up on 2nd on an error. Then a flare fell just in front of the right fielder which was followed by a couple of walks and the night was done for Loewen.

Loewen is not showing many signs that he will be ready for anything other than mop up duties by next year. The Orioles should be seriously considering trading him, possibly for another top position player prospect from an organization that is desperate for pitching and might be willing to take a chance on getting Loewen ready by next year.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loewen is not showing many signs that he will be ready for anything other than mop up duties by next year.

It's not like we have many good left-handed relief prospects anyways so I wouldn't mind that. Maybe he could be our version of Andy Sisco next year? The only difference being that Loewen, as long as he stays healthy, will have had the benefit of having a full year above single A.

Loewen is not showing many signs that he will be ready for anything other than mop up duties by next year. The Orioles should be seriously considering trading him, possibly for another top position player prospect from an organization that is desperate for pitching and might be willing to take a chance on getting Loewen ready by next year.

So, his great first outing is not a good sign?

He'd be our next sort of "Schilling nightmare" if we did this. He still has a full season ahead of him to get things straight.

Agree. He still is fairly young for AA and he is going to have some good outings and some bad outings. Lets take some good from his season so far. The biggest factor to consider is the # of walks, which aren't as high as I would have thought. We can't trade him. Let's not forget his start against the US in the WBC. The man will be a stud :002_scool:

If he is traded you will have to get a stud in return. Maybe he's a part of a M.Cabrera package. I still hope they dont traade him.

Obviously you move him if he brings back something that good, but I don't think thats likely.

I don't think he's highly rated enough to be the top prospect in a deal for someone like Cabrera or whatever other talent becomes available this year.

I think he's really going to break out this year and be ready to contribute at least in the bullpen next season.

I think people are unjustifiably hung up on this guy because he was a 4th draft pick, the Orioles spent a lot of money on him and he's gotten skaads of publicity. But look at what he's actually accomplished and it's not there. Except for on occasional spectacular performance as he did a week or so ago, the guy's been mediocre at best, and often not even that. He basically can't throw strikes consistently, nor can he put the ball where he wants it in the strike zone. Plus, he's another guy with potential shoulder problems.

I would have unloaded him over the winter. The longer you wait now, the less he'll be worth unless he turns things around. And the odds look increasingly long against his doing that. Everybody will get excited over an occasional good outing, and then wilt as he turns in 2 or 3 lousy ones. I think that's what you'll get with him.

I think people are unjustifiably hung up on this guy because he was a 4th draft pick, the Orioles spent a lot of money on him and he's gotten skaads of publicity. But look at what he's actually accomplished and it's not there. Except for on occasional spectacular performance as he did a week or so ago, the guy's been mediocre at best, and often not even that.

I would respond with my usual litany of how Loewen had 8 bad starts last year, all coming the three short blocks, and an ERA under 2.00 in his other 26 starts. But if I went into those details Tony would rightfully get on my case for repeating the same detailed post once a month.

Look at it this way: Loewen is the minor league version of Cabrera. Not the same velocity, but the same level of dominating stuff when he is on, same control issues, same erratic performance. He's just as good a bet to get his act together as Cabrera is.

God I hate these threads. You can almost set your watch to it. As soon as Loewen has a bad start, NO MATTER HOW MANY GOOD ONES PRECEEDED IT - someone will post almost word for word what vab did.

So what if he had his first really good season last year (career high for innings too), then was the most dominant pitcher in the AZ fall league, then shut down the ML dream team in the WBC, and then almost threw a no-hitter in his FIRST EVER AA START?!

Yeah, trade him now. He's regressed so much from this time last year. Clearly he doesn't get it.

God I hate these threads. You can almost set your watch to it. As soon as Loewen has a bad start, NO MATTER HOW MANY GOOD ONES PRECEEDED IT - someone will post almost word for word what vab did.

So what if he had his first really good season last year (career high for innings too), then was the most dominant pitcher in the AZ fall league, then shut down the ML dream team in the WBC, and then almost threw a no-hitter in his FIRST EVER AA START?!

Yeah, trade him now. He's regressed so much from this time last year. Clearly he doesn't get it.

I could turn the tables on you:

For every post where someone points out the large gap between Loewens hype and his actual performance- there are two Loewen apologist posts who have to stretch the bounds of reality to tell how good he really is.

First problem is that there never has been a stretch where a bunch of good starts preceded a bad start. That IS the problem with a kid who throw 95+, has good stuff, and was the 4th pick in the entire draft, and held out for a record amount.......those qualifiers (great stuff, 95+mph, hold-out a year for record bonus, etc...) add EXPECTATIONS, and rightfully so.

He has NOT lived up to it and continues to disappoint.

First good season last year ? A 4.12 ERA, 1.52 WHIP is considered "good" in "A" ball ? Considering it is only "A" ball- I would consider it mediocre, at best, especially for a guy who has #1 stuff and is supposed to be a #1 starter down the road.

Shut down the MLB dream team ? With 3 hits, 3 BB's, and no K's in 3 IP's- I would say his fielders shut them down, not him.

The bottom line is that he IS a disappointment. He IS underacheiving.

Archived