Maikol Hernandez: The classic example of Latin American Volatility

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, EdwinRip said:

Yet he continues to play everyday.  When will it end? 

Well, he's supposed to be a good defensive shortstop but he's been pretty brutal this year defensively too. At least he got a pretty big pay day and hopefully will be able to use that to better himself and his family, because the only reason he's still playing at all is because they invested so much money in him.

Keep taking swings but there will be a ton of failure.

That said, this stuff does illustrate that how much you spend on any one player isn’t really what’s important.  It’s that you are getting as many lottery tickets as possible and hoping to develop them.

I am sad to say our International Pipeline has been really disappointing.  Basallo certainly seems like the best of the bunch and may become an impact player down the road.  Arias has shown some potential, and we have a few pitchers in the lower ranks of the minors showing some potential...  but the position prospects have by and large completely tanked....   

27 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

yeah one flameout (or more) doesn't bother me one bit.  I'd rather see us fail w/ guys than not try at all, as I'm sure pretty much we all would agree.

Obviously you really didn't get the point of the thread if that is all you got out of it. I'll be honest, if that's the best you have to offer, please try and avoid quoting me in your replies as to not waste my time.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Obviously you really didn't get the point of the thread if that is all you got out of it. I'll be honest, if that's the best you have to offer, please try and avoid quoting me in your replies as to not waste my time.

A. I didn't quote you, or anyone else, in my reply

B. What are you talking about?  I'm agreeing with you (and the post from SG that preceded my original post) that Hernandez is a flame out, that he won't be the last, and that its not a big deal because we're at least in the market.

I don't get what the issue is or what I didn't 'get' from the thread.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

I am sad to say our International Pipeline has been really disappointing.  Basallo certainly seems like the best of the bunch and may become an impact player down the road.  Arias has shown some potential, and we have a few pitchers in the lower ranks of the minors showing some potential...  but the position prospects have by and large completely tanked....   

Most of these kids are still 17 or 18, and the ones who have made it to full season ball have only been there for a couple of months.  A bit early for them to have 'completely tanked', no?

Tony - given how woefully underinvested the O’s were before Elias, how are you assessing Perez to date?  He obviously was way behind the curve when he started, and it takes more time to develop international talent given the ages at which they’re signed, but it’s been 5 years and Basallo is the only big prospect to date.  Just feels like the O’s should be further along.  

3 hours ago, btownoriole said:

Tony - given how woefully underinvested the O’s were before Elias, how are you assessing Perez to date?  He obviously was way behind the curve when he started, and it takes more time to develop international talent given the ages at which they’re signed, but it’s been 5 years and Basallo is the only big prospect to date.  Just feels like the O’s should be further along.  

Tony has Luis DeLeon in his top ten.  How often can you expect to produce a Basallo.  Chace and Portes are middling prospects at Aberdeen.   Our first really up-to-speed class was the Braylin Tavera class in 2022.  Sosa, Arias, and Tavera made the end-of-season FCL top 20 prospects.    Arias is doing well as a 19 yo at Delmarva.  Sosa is holding is own but has strong underlying metrics.  Tavera struggled and got injured but made consistent contact.   Hopefully he gets back and does what Arias and Aron Estrada have done, which is adjust after rough starts.  Speaking of Estrada, he's been on fire.  

Elis Cuevas, 19, also from that class, was leading the FCL in hitting as of Sunday and was top 5 in OPS.   Lots of other good stories. 

Think about it.  Basallo is 19 and came from Perez 2021 signing class when Perez was winging it and waiting for scraps, which is what Basallo was.  First deep class was 2022 and those guys are only 19 now.  How many top 100 prospects are 19?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1