"Miami" Marlins stadium approved!

BaltimoreTerp

6%

Where do they get their money?

Property tax, tourism, and agricultural output. Florida is the 2nd largest producer of beef behind Texas. Plus the fruits and vegetables grown year round.

The current 60% average decrease in property value has crushed local budgets.

Sales tax is %6.5.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought it was 7.

Its my understand that they make up a lot of the different through property tax exemptions. Or, if you live here year round, you pay a much lower amount than those people who own winter houses or time shares, etc.

That and the tourism dollars.

Property tax, tourism, and agricultural output. Florida is the 2nd largest producer of beef behind Texas. Plus the fruits and vegetables grown year round.

The current 60% average decrease in property value has crushed local budgets.

Sales tax is %6.5.

The state sales tax is 6. Counties can impose additional 1/2% increments. I looked it up after I asked. ;)

Here my local team,New Jersey Devils, that made a new stadium.

"The New Jersey Devils were bounced out of the first round of the playoffs in just five games by their cross-river rivals, the New York Rangers, last season. But their first year in the new Prudential Center was a big success in large part because of non-hockey events that enabled the building to quickly become one of the busiest in the country. AEG, a unit of the Anschutz Company, runs the arena for the Devils, and did a fabulous job of promoting and booking events. Boxing, college basketball, concerts and dance contests brought in money to the Devils, who get the lion's share of the building's revenue, which they could only dream about when they played at the Meadowlands. The final cost of the new arena was $380 million, with the Devils footing $170 million. "

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/31/nhl08_New-Jersey-Devils_313149.html

That was from one of the highest crime cities in American. Seems like Miami could do something very similar, but for a lot more money.

I thought it was 7.

Its my understand that they make up a lot of the different through property tax exemptions. Or, if you live here year round, you pay a much lower amount than those people who own winter houses or time shares, etc.

That and the tourism dollars.

If you are a Florida resident (vote, work, etc...) you can get a Homestead exemption which reduces the taxable income on your primary residence by $50,000. But you have to file for by March 1 every year, which I forgot to do because I'm new to this and thought it was March 31. That cost me a $1000 this year.

Property tax rate is about 2.3% here in Palm Beach county which is one of the highest.

If you are a Florida resident (vote, work, etc...) you can get a Homestead exemption which reduces the taxable income on your primary residence by $50,000. But you have to file for by March 1 every year, which I forgot to do because I'm new to this and thought it was March 31. That cost me a $1000 this year.

Property tax rate is about 2.3% here in Palm Beach county which is one of the highest.

I forget every year on both of my houses. Our property tax rate is a bit lower up here though.

Here my local team,New Jersey Devils, that made a new stadium.

"The New Jersey Devils were bounced out of the first round of the playoffs in just five games by their cross-river rivals, the New York Rangers, last season. But their first year in the new Prudential Center was a big success in large part because of non-hockey events that enabled the building to quickly become one of the busiest in the country. AEG, a unit of the Anschutz Company, runs the arena for the Devils, and did a fabulous job of promoting and booking events. Boxing, college basketball, concerts and dance contests brought in money to the Devils, who get the lion's share of the building's revenue, which they could only dream about when they played at the Meadowlands. The final cost of the new arena was $380 million, with the Devils footing $170 million. "

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/31/nhl08_New-Jersey-Devils_313149.html

That was from one of the highest crime cities in American. Seems like Miami could do something very similar, but for a lot more money.

Absolutely!

South Florida is flush with tourists and rich people all winter long. Finding events to book in a brand new, open air, retractable roof, easily accessible, downtown venue won't be challenging.

The hard part is booking stuff in the rainy, hot, hurricane targeted summer. The Marlins schedule fills that void.

I forget every year on both of my houses. Our property tax rate is a bit lower up here though.

My Google Calendar now has a reminder for the entire month of February set to Email and Text message me twice a week until I do it.

• 1 month later...

Archived