Indians Acquire Chris Gomez (in 2007)

Spoonless

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I dont understand is if Cabrera got released today then why not make that deal. If we don't now sign him I will go mad!

I keep hoping that they'll end up announcing we got Cabrera for him. But, I'm not holding out too much hope. That move would really make a lot of sense for us.

What are they really going to give up for 36 year old Chris Gomez and his .730OPS for the rest of the season. I realize that his OPS isn't horrible off the bench, but its not like Gomez is really a hot commodity.

I would expect only a fringe prospect, but still that's something. Sometimes fringe prospects turn into decent major leaguers. Melvin Mora was a fringe prospect when the Mets included him in the Bordick trade in 2000, for instance.

What bothers me about this (assuming that the team really did dump Gomez just to get rid of his salary) is that it's an enormous white flag that says to the fans and the remaining players on the team that the front office has no interest in winning games for the rest of this season, without any offsetting benefit in terms of building for the future. It's a declaration of indifference.

They definitely would have dumped a bunch of other guys had they been claimed. They would have to eat salaries to release guys and the O's don't seem to like doing that. They let Gomez go because the Indians are going to pay the rest of his salary, plus they gave us $20k.

Thank you for someone seeing the value in this. I am a big Chris Gomez fan- but the fact is, this team isn't winning anything this year. Most of you on here whine and whine about certain minor leaguers you want to see play with the big league club. Now maybe we'll have the roster space to see that happen. He was worth more than that- but if this team is really trying to build for the future- as everybody on here wants and screams for- they need to start letting go of some of the olders guys when given the opportunity, if for no other reason than to see which young guys ALREADY in the system can help- and be a part of that future.

Gomez will be missed, and I'm sure it wasn't easy for them to let him go, but it's a move that had to be made- and I applaud MacPhail!

Let's break it down:

Parrish gone. PLUS! Guy is near 30, but wildly erratic this year. Has good stuff, but can someone control him?

Hoey up. PLUS! 24 years old, more promise than Parrish.

Gomez gone. AVERAGE! Guy is 36 years old and nothing more than a reserve infielder, but he's a decent average guy who is versatile.

Sebastien Boucher. AVERAGE! Looks like minor league fodder, but he has a decent average and OBP. Looks like he has some pop, and he's younger (25, going on 26 this year).

Not sure I like the idea of another outfielder being called up in terms of Redman, but whatever. There is also another fellow coming from Seattle. They got younger with these trades, and they're not really going to change things aside from bring an immediate better arm (Hoey) to the bullpen.

You are making a huge assumption here that Cleveland wanted Gomez badly enough to give up something, anything, for him, let alone something that would be of value. Absent any fact to suggest this I can't make that assumption, especially since the Parrish deal shows we are willing to make a deal if one is available.

Say Cleveland wasn't willing to trade for him. Our choice is to keep him or send him off. I fail to see how our choice hurt our team, and I do think doing things like this incrementally help us attract players in the future.

It hurts our team because it costs us a spare part that could help us win games the rest of the season. True, that doesn't amount to much given that the team isn't making the playoffs, but for an organization to declare that it doesn't care about winning games, to the point that it will get rid of a useful player for nothing in return just to save a small amount of money, is pathetic and dangerous.

Look at it this way: if you were Kevin Millar, what would you think about this deal?

Look at it this way: if you were Kevin Millar, what would you think about this deal?

I'd think:

"I like Gomez, and I'm glad he's with a contender. I'm the cleanup hitter, so they won't dump me for peanuts. And, I'm under contract next year too, so I hope they bring in people to help me. I wonder what I should spend my pile of cash on today..."

It hurts our team because it costs us a spare part that could help us win games the rest of the season. True, that doesn't amount to much given that the team isn't making the playoffs, but for an organization to declare that it doesn't care about winning games, to the point that it will get rid of a useful player for nothing in return just to save a small amount of money, is pathetic and dangerous.

If I am Millar and assuming I liked Gomez (which I will), I would shake his hand and root for Cleveland to win the World Series. And I might just think "This is the sort of an organization who really cares about and appreciates its players."

I am not saying 100% for sure that something like this helps us sign people in the future. But I don't think losing Gomez really has much impact on the rest of the season either. If someone else gets hurt and we need a UI, I would rather Hernandez come back and get the PT anyway.

And who knows, perhaps we have opened up a 40-man spot for someone who looks more attractive!

What are they really going to give up for 36 year old Chris Gomez and his .730OPS for the rest of the season. I realize that his OPS isn't horrible off the bench, but its not like Gomez is really a hot commodity.

Shhhh... you don't want everyone to wake up and realize Gomez is a 36 year old utilityman who really isn't very good. They don't need to know he has a .687 lifetime OPS and doesn't field particularly well at any position. Nobody else needs to know.

Shhhh... you don't want everyone to wake up and realize Gomez is a 36 year old utilityman who really isn't very good. They don't need to know he has a .687 lifetime OPS and doesn't field particularly well at any position. Nobody else needs to know.

Given our current options, who would you rather have than Gomez on the bench? Is he a star? No. Is he likely to make us a better ballclub if an injury were to happen than Brandon Fahey or Luis Hernandez or Edier Torres? Yes.

Archived