Indians Acquire Chris Gomez (in 2007)

Spoonless

Since when have the Orioles become so poor that they need to worry about a couple hundred thousand here and a couple hundred thousand there? I can see had the Indians claimed a guy who was really a finanical burden, but I can't see how owing a guy some $250k is anything but peanuts for the Orioles.
IMO it's a stretch to think that this move was primarily motivated by saving money.

Agreed... saving money was probably benefit #5 of the move..... not #1.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps, with Wieters likely to draw a "Major League" contract the FO needed an open spot on the 40-man roster for him.

I think this means that the deal with Wieters is essentially done at this point and that we can expect a press conference annoucing his signing before the Aug 15th deadline.

While it would be great if that's true, I can think of several individuals I would have preferred to see jettisoned from the 40-man before Gomez simply to make room for Wieters. I'm thinking money was the main motivator here, with giving a good guy like Gomez a shot at the postseason being a collateral benefit.

Since when have the Orioles become so poor that they need to worry about a couple hundred thousand here and a couple hundred thousand there? I can see had the Indians claimed a guy who was really a finanical burden, but I can't see how owing a guy some $250k is anything but peanuts for the Orioles.

We have Mora, Miggy and BRob healthy (and seem pretty happy with the play of Luis Hernandez). So, we decide between $150k give or 75-100 at-bats from Chris Gomez. I'll take the $.

We have Mora, Miggy and BRob healthy (and seem pretty happy with the play of Luis Hernandez). So, we decide between $150k give or 75-100 at-bats from Chris Gomez. I'll take the $.

Don't know how long you can count on Mora being healthy, his injury appeared to be the type that could nag.

I hope the Orioles are never in a position to rely on a kid who couldn't carry a .580 OPS between AA and AAA.

I m ight sound like Cindy here, but this is ridiculous.

My favorite Oriole for money?

I haven't read this whole thing so maybe its wrong?

He was claimed via waivers. So, the Indians have to pay the waiver fee. That's all. He wasn't "sold" per say...just claimed off waivers.

He was claimed via waivers. So, the Indians have to pay the waiver fee. That's all. He wasn't "sold" per say...just claimed off waivers.

I get it, but it still pisses me off. Hes one of the few players I absolutuely like on this team...and hes a good role player, we have nobody to take his place.

Hello Fahey.

I get it, but it still pisses me off. Hes one of the few players I absolutuely like on this team...and hes a good role player, we have nobody to take his place.

Hello Fahey.

Don't fret Mike... his contract expires after the season and we can bring him back just for you.... ;)

Guest oriofan8
Crap. I really liked Gomez on the team. We need a good utility guy, & Gomez was that. I at least hope giving him up was worth it.

aaarggh !!! :D He's a UTILITY infielder contracted through this season only. It's not about money, it's about the fact that we don't NEED him for the rest of this season, AND it opens a roster spot, AND Cleveland probably requested him...we didn't dump him. It's a good thing for Gomez...he goes to a contender for the rest of the season with a chance to go to the postseason....GOOD for him !! Utility fielders are readily available...so I bet next season we can find us one.

Archived