Indians Acquire Chris Gomez (in 2007)

Spoonless

I'm bothered by the idea that the team did it to save $150 K. I'm even more bothered by the idea that the team did it as a favor to Chris Gomez. The problem with Peter Angelos is that he runs his team like a union, where the main objective is to reward guys who have been around a long time, instead of building a winning organization. Whether Chris Gomez is a good guy or not, it is not the job of the Orioles' front office to give away useful players for nothing just so that they can play for a contender.

The team did not do it just to save money. It was NOT a trade. It was a waiver claim. In other words, the Indians claimed him and probably told the Orioles we are not giving anything for him. Thus, the Orioles either A) kept a 36 year old utility player that's a FA at the end of the year, or B) release him to clear up roster space. The $20,000 is not to sign players, it is the standard waiver claim price.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised at the apathy on this board regarding letting Chris Gomez go for nothing. I could understand trading him for a lower level prospect but I'm outraged that this basically says we are giving up in 2007 and heading for a 10th strait losing season. Gomez was a good ballplayer who could play 4 positions and hit lefties well. I attended last nights game and can see that most of the Orioles are going thru the motions and playing out the season. How many free agents are going to want to play for this franchise next year. Maybe Mcphail is going to blow everything up and start from scratch. I know Gomez isn't an everyday player but give him up for nothing?!

I'm surprised at the apathy on this board regarding letting Chris Gomez go for nothing. I could understand trading him for a lower level prospect but I'm outraged that this basically says we are giving up in 2007 and heading for a 10th strait losing season. Gomez was a good ballplayer who could play 4 positions and hit lefties well. I attended last nights game and can see that most of the Orioles are going thru the motions and playing out the season. How many free agents are going to want to play for this franchise next year. Maybe Mcphail is going to blow everything up and start from scratch. I know Gomez isn't an everyday player but give him up for nothing?!
I'm pretty sure he wasn't let go for nothing. Re-read the posts about Franklin Cabrera. Cleveland cut him and got nothing when they could have gotten a player in return for him or at the very least a waiver fee. They cut him so we'd have a chance to sign him, since he wouldn't have made it all the way to us on release waivers.

A chance at signing Cabrera is more valuable to the team than Chris Gomez' last 6 weeks.

Yeah, there is still hope for this season! Oh wait, that's not true...

I'm surprised at the apathy on this board regarding letting Chris Gomez go for nothing. I could understand trading him for a lower level prospect but I'm outraged that this basically says we are giving up in 2007 and heading for a 10th strait losing season.

The season was essentially over in May. You can pretend making a run at .500 somehow makes 2007 more meaningful, but it doesn't.

Gomez was a good ballplayer who could play 4 positions and hit lefties well.

He's 36 and has a career OPS under .700. Most every organization literally has half a dozen players who could fill his shoes. Maybe not quite as well, but well enough so that in 100-150 at bats they wouldn't make a win's difference.

I attended last nights game and can see that most of the Orioles are going thru the motions and playing out the season. How many free agents are going to want to play for this franchise next year. Maybe Mcphail is going to blow everything up and start from scratch. I know Gomez isn't an everyday player but give him up for nothing?!

If the difference between 78 and 74 wins in 2007 is the deciding factor for any free agent I'll...well... do something embarrassing and ridiculous. I'll hazard a guess that no free agent in all of history has ever made a decision based on weather or not a 2nd-division team traded a 36-year-old utility player.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't let go for nothing. Re-read the posts about Franklin Cabrera. Cleveland cut him and got nothing when they could have gotten a player in return for him or at the very least a waiver fee. They cut him so we'd have a chance to sign him, since he wouldn't have made it all the way to us on release waivers.

A chance at signing Cabrera is more valuable to the team than Chris Gomez' last 6 weeks.

Thanks for the enlightenment Mackus. I don't know anything about Franklin Cabrera but to sign him would make sense. If McPhail knows what he is doing, hopefully Angelos will finally let him operate the baseball decisions.

• 1 year later...
aaarggh !!! :D He's a UTILITY infielder contracted through this season only. It's not about money, it's about the fact that we don't NEED him for the rest of this season, AND it opens a roster spot, AND Cleveland probably requested him...we didn't dump him. It's a good thing for Gomez...he goes to a contender for the rest of the season with a chance to go to the postseason....GOOD for him !! Utility fielders are readily available...so I bet next season we can find us one.

Well considering all of the great moves & signings for the O's this off-season, losing a decent player & acquiring no one sucks.

Archived