Indians Acquire Chris Gomez (in 2007)

Spoonless

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...in trolling the Indians message boards, I did not see anything that said it was anything other than a waiver claim. I also saw a message that stated that Fernando Cabrera had been officially released. Not too sure about whether that is completely true.

Either way, it does not seem like they are tremendously excited about getting Gomez. I liked him a lot here and I bet they will too by the end of the season.

For some reason losing Gomez doesn't really bother me. Sure I liked the guy and he was a valuable guy to have off the bench. But, that said he was getting older and in no way was a part of our future. Good luck Chris.

I agree completely, I like Chris, and he is a good ball player, but we need to explore our future at this point (I am not sure calling up Redman is the best move to accomplish that goal though). I wish him well with the Tribe, and maybe he will return next year when he is a FA. I would not be surprised at all.

This is a good move for Cleveland. I bet Gomez winds up playing a lot of games at 2B for them, given how awful Josh Barfield has been this season.

I'll suspend judgment until I know who we got back. But I will say that if we dumped him for $20 K just to get rid of his salary, that is pathetic. Gomez is an above average utility player and definitely has value to the Indians. Our front office should have been able to negotiate something in return.

This is a good move for Cleveland. I bet Gomez winds up playing a lot of games at 2B for them, given how awful Josh Barfield has been this season.

I'll suspend judgment until I know who we got back. But I will say that if we dumped him for $20 K just to get rid of his salary, that is pathetic. Gomez is an above average utility player and definitely has value to the Indians. Our front office should have been able to negotiate something in return.

Maybe we're getting Travis Hafner back from Cleveland? :D Italian Stallion, if you're listening, that was a joke! :)

The $20k isn't why we did the deal. That is the waiver fee I believe.

This is a gold watch deal. Gomez, who is going to be a free agent at the end of the season and who has been a good little, um, Indian, for us over the last few years, was claimed. Our choices were to keep him on our roster until the end of the season, or let him go get a chance to play in another World Series. Nothing more, nothing less. But players appreciate things like this, and I am glad the Os did it.

This is a gold watch deal. Gomez, who is going to be a free agent at the end of the season and who has been a good little, um, Indian, for us over the last few years, was claimed. Our choices were to keep him on our roster until the end of the season, or let him go get a chance to play in another World Series. Nothing more, nothing less. But players appreciate things like this, and I am glad the Os did it.

Well if true that puts it more in perspective.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if Chris Gomez gets to play for a contender. The job of the front office is to make the Baltimore Orioles a better team, not to give warm fuzzies. If Cleveland wants Chris Gomez for their team, they damn well should offer us something in return, or they can keep running Josh Barfield and his .550 OPS out there every day at 2B.

I'll also suspend judgment until we hear who the O's got for him. But I won't feel to bad about it, because Gomez is an old utility player with no range on defense who didn't fit into their long-range plans. He's even less important to the O's than the SS they sent down - Hernandez. Hernandez hasn't shown he can hit, but he sure has shown he can field.

I'm certainly not expecting a quality young prospect for Gomez, but sometimes you get blind lucky, so we'll see who we get.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if Chris Gomez gets to play for a contender. The job of the front office is to make the Baltimore Orioles a better team, not to give warm fuzzies. If Cleveland wants Chris Gomez for their team, they damn well should offer us something in return, or they can keep running Josh Barfield and his .550 OPS out there every day at 2B.

What are they really going to give up for 36 year old Chris Gomez and his .730OPS for the rest of the season. I realize that his OPS isn't horrible off the bench, but its not like Gomez is really a hot commodity.

You are making a huge assumption here that Cleveland wanted Gomez badly enough to give up something, anything, for him, let alone something that would be of value. Absent any fact to suggest this I can't make that assumption, especially since the Parrish deal shows we are willing to make a deal if one is available.

Say Cleveland wasn't willing to trade for him. Our choice is to keep him or send him off. I fail to see how our choice hurt our team, and I do think doing things like this incrementally help us attract players in the future.

You are making a huge assumption here that Cleveland wanted Gomez badly enough to give up something, anything, for him, let alone something that would be of value. Absent any fact to suggest this I can't make that assumption, especially since the Parrish deal shows we are willing to make a deal if one is available.

Say Cleveland wasn't willing to trade for him. Our choice is to keep him or send him off. I fail to see how our choice hurt our team, and I do think doing things like this incrementally help us attract players in the future.

What I dont understand is if Cabrera got released today then why not make that deal. If we don't now sign him I will go mad!

Archived