Indians Acquire Chris Gomez (in 2007)

Spoonless

aaarggh !!! :D He's a UTILITY infielder contracted through this season only. It's not about money, it's about the fact that we don't NEED him for the rest of this season, AND it opens a roster spot, AND Cleveland probably requested him...we didn't dump him. It's a good thing for Gomez...he goes to a contender for the rest of the season with a chance to go to the postseason....GOOD for him !! Utility fielders are readily available...so I bet next season we can find us one.

I would have held on to him though. But that could just be my opinion. With Mora not in the field, who knows about Huff & Millar...anything could happen with them. Plus as a decent defensive move in the later innings.

I guess I'm a bit pro-Gomez. I followed him a bit in his Padres days. I was happy when we signed him.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that was our motivation for making the trade this franchise is in worse trouble than we thought. No possible way that is the reason IMO.

If I was Macphail and I knew I had to make these 2 trades to get my owner to committ to signing 2 top draft picks, I'd probally resign immediately.

I think it's safe to say that it is a stretch to say that saving a few bucks was not the primary motivation behind these moves.

(Got to this thread late, don't know if I'm repeating anyone here, but . . .)

I always got such a kick out of Gomez's (self-selected, I assume) entrance music: the intro to Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Not only is it among the most important ten seconds of rock music in the '90s (of all time?), but its aggro muscularity seemed kind of incongruous with Gomez's average (for a baseball player) build.

Which made me dig it all the more. As if Gomez was saying, maybe I look more like Kurt Cobain than I do Travis Hafner. But I've got this little bat here turned up to 10. Now hear these riffs . . .

B'nai

P.S. Also, for the cognoscenti, sometime during the at-bat the house would slip in "The Addams Family" theme. As in the patriarch, GOMEZ Addams.^

^played in the movie(s) by the late Raul Julia, and on TV by Baltimore's very own JOHN ASTIN, Hopkins alum and currently the director of the Program in Theatre Arts & Studies at JHU. Astin's son SEAN also became an actor and more famous than his dad, thanks mostly to appearing in Harry Potter or Star Wars or something.

Im thinking about re-registering as MikeLuvsGomez.

I really hope Im not understanding why we did this, and this all works out.

But out of all your players, why trade the guy who does everything that is acts for him, always goes the extra mile, plays everywhere, is good in the clubhouse, and can handle the bat as a pintch hitter.

I hope they discussed this with him, maybe hes coming back.

We have alot wrong with this team, but hes wasn't one of them.

The Orioles probably saved something between 200,000-250,000 in this deal...Not that they should need the money or anything but maybe that extra money goes to one of the draftees and they felt they needed to do this to extend beyond a draft budget??

I am just speculating but if this is the case, then these were good moves.

If that was our motivation for making the trade this franchise is in worse trouble than we thought. No possible way that is the reason IMO.

If I was Macphail and I knew I had to make these 2 trades to get my owner to committ to signing 2 top draft picks, I'd probally resign immediately.

Perfectly stated RB. My thoughts exactly.

If a couple $100K is that critical to the O's big picture, you guys are way screwed.

I'm bothered by the idea that the team did it to save $150 K. I'm even more bothered by the idea that the team did it as a favor to Chris Gomez. The problem with Peter Angelos is that he runs his team like a union, where the main objective is to reward guys who have been around a long time, instead of building a winning organization. Whether Chris Gomez is a good guy or not, it is not the job of the Orioles' front office to give away useful players for nothing just so that they can play for a contender.

This is about clearing roster space, not money. As a result of these 2 moves we get to bring up Hoey and Olson. In addition we get a potential 4th OF who hits for average and OBP and is good defensively, who could possibly platoon with Knott/Dubois if we can't get a real LF next year. or if we get rid of Payton. Gomez is a fine UT guy but as Drungo likes to point out you can get Chris Gomez types all the time. He will be an asset to Cleaveland but we don't need him the rest of this season. We need to look at Bynum and Fahey to see if we can use them next year.

Im thinking about re-registering as MikeLuvsGomez.

I really hope Im not understanding why we did this, and this all works out.

But out of all your players, why trade the guy who does everything that is acts for him, always goes the extra mile, plays everywhere, is good in the clubhouse, and can handle the bat as a pintch hitter.

I hope they discussed this with him, maybe hes coming back.

We have alot wrong with this team, but hes wasn't one of them.

Dude, you really need to use a ;) or something because although it's fairly obvious you are being sarcastic, it's getting a little scary...

While it would be great if that's true' date=' I can think of several individuals I would have preferred to see jettisoned from the 40-man before Gomez simply to make room for Wieters. I'm thinking money was the main motivator here, with giving a good guy like Gomez a shot at the postseason being a collateral benefit.[/quote']

But none of type of guys you mean were claimed... The two Jays, Bako, etc. And you KNOW PA is never going to outright release a player and still pay them.

GeorgiaBird mentioned the warm fuzzies of letting Gomez go to a contender and all. What about the warm and fuzzies from the Cleveland FO? Next time we have a minor claim on their roster, maybe they say, "Hey, Baltimore did us a favor back in 2007"...

Look at it this way: if you were Kevin Millar, what would you think about this deal?

"Woo Hoo! I get to play first base in the ninth inning now, too!"

couldn't resist...

Given our current options, who would you rather have than Gomez on the bench? Is he a star? No. Is he likely to make us a better ballclub if an injury were to happen than Brandon Fahey or Luis Hernandez or Edier Torres? Yes.

Heaven forbid that something happens to Fahey or Torres... :confused:

I would have held on to him though. But that could just be my opinion. With Mora not in the field, who knows about Huff & Millar...anything could happen with them. Plus as a decent defensive move in the later innings.

I guess I'm a bit pro-Gomez. I followed him a bit in his Padres days. I was happy when we signed him.

He's a FA at the end of the season, they can always bring him back. And, they aren't going anywhere this season. It saves the team some money, gives Gomez a chance to play for a contender, and they can re-sign him if they want.

He's a FA at the end of the season, they can always bring him back. And, they aren't going anywhere this season. It saves the team some money, gives Gomez a chance to play for a contender, and they can re-sign him if they want.

Exactly, that's all there is to this. Chris Gomez gets a little reward for being a good guy, and the O's saved $3.25 in the deal.

But none of type of guys you mean were claimed... The two Jays, Bako, etc. And you KNOW PA is never going to outright release a player and still pay them.

Now you know that is not correct as has been mentioned on here before... like Jim Brower in 2006, Brady Anderson and his still owed $4m in 2002.

Archived