Orioles want Ackley?

From Churchill's ESPN blog:

"He's terrific," says one scout, whose AL club hopes Ackley gets to them in the middle of the top 10. "He's a safe guy, and there's enough power that he'll survive as an outfielder who plays defense."

The Orioles pick 5th, so this scout would seem to be one from the Orioles. We can only hope...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles pick 5th, so this scout would seem to be one from the Orioles. We can only hope...

Here is what I would call the outer boundaries of the "middle of the first round":

3. San Diego Padres

4. Pittsburgh Pirates

5. Baltimore Orioles

6. San Francisco Giants

7. Atlanta Braves

8. Cincinnati Reds

Given that the O's are the only AL team in "middle" of the 1st round, the quoted scout has to be from the Orioles.

I understand the reasoning of our board draft experts that Ackley lacks the power as a 1B to warrant a #5 pick, but my intuitive (lazy and lacking reason) sense is that I would love to have this guy at #5.

I'm not impressed at all by those quotes.

"He's a safe guy", "he'll survive as an outfielder". Not exactly glowing reports from a guy we might pick at #5. I'm not really against picking ackley at #5, I'm just having a tough time in my head coming up with a scenario where he will be the BPA.

I'm hoping Alex White or Grant Green falls to us.

This guy would make our top 4 one of the best in baseball (if he fulfills his potential).

1. Roberts

2. Ackley

3. Cakes

4. Wieters

That would be an amazing 4. Wieters would have 3 people ahead of him with strong OBPs and above average speed. They would simply wear down pitchers with their patience.

This guy would make our top 4 one of the best in baseball (if he fulfills his potential).

1. Roberts

2. Ackley

3. Cakes

4. Wieters

That would be an amazing 4. Wieters would have 3 people ahead of him with strong OBPs and above average speed. They would simply wear down pitchers with their patience.

Adam Jones is curious, because you seem to have forgotten about Adam Jones.

Adam Jones is curious, because you seem to have forgotten about Adam Jones.

I didn't forget about him. I like Jones a lot and think he would be at 5 or 6 if he continues his progress at the plate. I personally don't like Jones at the #2position.

Ackley with a bounce back game today after going hitless Friday.

2-4 with his 6th HR of the season, an opposite field shot.

25 games in he's now at .406/.513/.677/1.190 with 6 HR, 19 RBI and has 19 BB to 15 Ks.

Ackley is definitely starting to grow on me. I'm still not sold on picking him at #5, but if we did I don't really think I cold complain.

I wonder if Nick Markakis is a good comparison for Ackely.:scratchchinhmm: They seem to be pretty similar.

How is he on the basepaths?

Here's a few excerpts. Trembley will love this guy because of the last one:

It's easy to overlook Ackley's athleticism because of his quick bat and his position, but one reason Ackley was able to sustain his 28-game hitting streak from Feb. 28-April 14 was his above-average speed, which contributed to his team-high 11 steals in 14 attempts. He always ran hard up the line and beat out many infield hits.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/features/264400.html

With that work ethic, it is no surprise Ackley models his game after Pete Rose.

“I’m definitely not him,” Ackley said. “But the hustle and that kind of attitude, just going out there every day and just grinding it out is the reason why I like him so much.”

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/SPORTS/80709022

I like Ackley, but I'd rather have Green. Poor start to the season be damned.

I don't think anyone will disagree with this. I think it's more like everyone is excited about Ackley's season because he could possibly help drop Green to us. Or, at the very least, be a fine consolation prize.

I don't think anyone will disagree with this. I think it's more like everyone is excited about Ackley's season because he could possibly help drop Green to us. Or, at the very least, be a fine consolation prize.

I disagree. Green shows more power than Ackley but Ackley is the better hitter as he's more patient, and he's also flashing power this season. I agree Ackley will be taken before Green, but I only hope it's the Orioles who will take him. We don't necessarily need a slugger at the SS position as long as that offense is made up for elsewhere. Green may not be able to stick at the SS position either and if that's the case he's far less valuable than Ackley. Ackley is the perfect #2 and possible future leadoff hitter for the Orioles.

I disagree. Green shows more power than Ackley but Ackley is the better hitter as he's more patient, and he's also flashing power this season. I agree Ackley will be taken before Green, but I only hope it's the Orioles who will take him. We don't necessarily need a slugger at the SS position as long as that offense is made up for elsewhere. Green may not be able to stick at the SS position either and if that's the case he's far less valuable than Ackley. Ackley is the perfect #2 and possible future leadoff hitter for the Orioles.

At this point, I'd still rather have Green, but I do agree that if Green can't stick at SS than Ackley would be more valuable.

I'm hoping we can end up with one of Green/Ackley/White.

I'd rather we took Jason Kipnis or Rich Polythess.

Ackley doesn't have the same power or plate discipline as these two. And Green isn't anywhere close to the plate discipline of the aforementioned three. Plus, I don't think he'll stick at shortstop, which lowers his value even more...

Archived