O's Getting Hosed, All Star Reserves

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

By the fans' votes, the followings were the first reserves: Mountcastle, Westburg, O'hearn and Santander. How are neither one of them a reserve?

I'd say Oriole fans were overly enthused by their own players and were voting with much zeal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say Oriole fans were overly enthused by their own players and were voting with much zeal.

Yeah no other fanbase was enthused. Makes perfect sense.

• Upvote 1

Mountcastle - Naylor had a stronger week

Westburg - most deserving but 3B is too crowded

O'Hearn - Fry is OPSing .920

Santander - Duran and Greene are just better and Tucker may be replaced by Santander anyway

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Mountcastle - Naylor had a stronger week

Westburg - most deserving but 3B is too crowded

O'Hearn - Fry is OPSing .920

Santander - Duran and Greene are just better and Tucker may be replaced by Santander anyway

I think Kimbrel and Westburg were the two biggest snubs. As good as O’Hearn has been I can’t fault them for not selecting a platoon player unless it’s a case where O’Hearn would be the Orioles only all star representative.

Mountcastle was only in the running because 1B is weak in the AL this year and he’s faded recently. Naylor is more deserving at 1B. 

Posted (edited)

Kimbrel has been better than Clay Holmes, who was chosen by the league. But I'd just as soon Kimbrel get the extra rest. 

Westburg has been better than Marcus Semien, who was selected by the players. That one's a bummer, but oh well. 

For the most part, everyone selected is having a very good season. 

Edited by Spy Fox

Just now, Spy Fox said:

Kimbrel has been better than Clay Holmes, who was chosen by the league. But I'd just as soon Kimbrel get the extra rest. 

Westburg has been better than Marcus Semien, who was selected by the players. 

But generally, everyone selected is having a good season. 

Has Westburg even played against everyone?

I can't get upset about players not voting for guys in their first full year.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think Kimbrel and Westburg were the two biggest snubs. As good as O’Hearn has been I can’t fault them for not selecting a platoon player unless it’s a case where O’Hearn would be the Orioles only all star representative.

Mountcastle was only in the running because 1B is weak in the AL this year and he’s faded recently. Naylor is more deserving at 1B. 

Yeah 3B is very strong this season

• Jose Ramirez - 138 OPS+, 2.9 rWAR
  • Rafael Devers - 158 OPS+, 2.7 rWAR
  • Isaac Paredes - 137 OPS+, 1.9 rWAR
  • Jordan Westburg - 140 OPS+, 2.8 rWAR
  • Josh Smith - 139 OPS+, 3.2 rWAR
  • Jose Miranda - 152 OPS+, 2.4 rWAR

What kills Westburg is the one-player-for-every-team policy, which means Paredes gets in over him.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Has Westburg even played against everyone?

I can't get upset about players not voting for guys in their first full year.

Yeah, you expect the players to go for the steady respected vet types. 

Does every player vote? If so, plenty of them probably don't even check stats much and just click through it like an assigned HR training. 

5 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Yeah 3B is very strong this season

• Jose Ramirez - 138 OPS+, 2.9 rWAR
  • Rafael Devers - 158 OPS+, 2.7 rWAR
  • Isaac Paredes - 137 OPS+, 1.9 rWAR
  • Jordan Westburg - 140 OPS+, 2.8 rWAR
  • Josh Smith - 139 OPS+, 3.2 rWAR
  • Jose Miranda - 152 OPS+, 2.4 rWAR

What kills Westburg is the one-player-for-every-team policy, which means Paredes gets in over him.

Westburg not making isn't a huge snub, but he's certainly has a case. The fact that the Orioles had Ty Wiggington as their token all star one season I'm not going to get bent out of shape over Westburg missing the cut.

Besides the one player per team rule Westburg doesn't have the name recognition yet and to a degree the all star game is a popularity contest.

It's still, basically, a popularity test.  I don't even care if they play in the game or not.  But I know to them it's an honor and it's a bit of a shame for them, but I think they'll probably get over it - OR use the "rebuff" to fuel do even better in the second half.  Who knows.

• Upvote 1