2024 Draft Tracker

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

I assume we will sign Honeycutt, my question is whether we also squeeze in Salinas, and do we care?   

I totally understand if they can't come to a deal with him. If he bets on himself, gains 2-5 mph and keeps the rest of the profile, he becomes a real prospect.

That's much easier said than done though, so I could see him taking the cash now and hoping they can develop him better than he will on his own. 

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I totally understand if they can't come to a deal with him. If he bets on himself, gains 2-5 mph and keeps the rest of the profile, he becomes a real prospect.

That's much easier said than done though, so I could see him taking the cash now and hoping they can develop him better than he will on his own. 

Maybe he's hoping he gets drafted by an organization that knows how to develop pitching.  Only half kidding.  Half much is left relative to slot?  Can go 5% over slot w/ penalty?

18 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Maybe he's hoping he gets drafted by an organization that knows how to develop pitching.  Only half kidding.  Half much is left relative to slot?  Can go 5% over slot w/ penalty?

I'm sure we could pay him pretty significantly more than the $150k, but that comes down to what he thinks he's worth versus what Elias thinks he's worth.

This is not a team who will throw money at him just to do it. If you do that this year, more guys will hold out next year trying to get the leftovers.

My guess is his number is higher than we think he's worth, so we're just moving on.

It seems we spent $12.7MM on bonuses for the 21 drafted players plus $416K in pool overage penalty tax plus I would guestimate $350-$550k in UDFA bonuses.   So about a $13.5MM investment in domestic amateur talent acquisition (excluding the operating budget for Amateur Scouting / Draft Ops).

11 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

It seems we spent $12.7MM on bonuses for the 21 drafted players plus $416K in pool overage penalty tax plus I would guestimate $350-$550k in UDFA bonuses.   So about a $13.5MM investment in domestic amateur talent acquisition (excluding the operating budget for Amateur Scouting / Draft Ops).

Maybe you can help me out here as I'm trying to reconcile this. So my calculations were as follows:

For Rd 1-10 they exceeded the pool by $52,600

For Rd 11-20 they exceeded the pool by $502,500 (12th and 16th picks)

The 5% overage value was $10,920,900 x .05 = $546,045

Rd 1-10 $52,600 + Rd 11-20 $502,500 = $555,100 less the 5% overage of $545,045 = $9,055 exceeding beyond 5%. 

Maybe I have a value that's off...

They're the pros at this and I'm sure they wouldn't take a penalty for exceeding the 5%. 

1 hour ago, 86this said:

Maybe you can help me out here as I'm trying to reconcile this. So my calculations were as follows:

For Rd 1-10 they exceeded the pool by $52,600

For Rd 11-20 they exceeded the pool by $502,500 (12th and 16th picks)

The 5% overage value was $10,920,900 x .05 = $546,045

Rd 1-10 $52,600 + Rd 11-20 $502,500 = $555,100 less the 5% overage of $545,045 = $9,055 exceeding beyond 5%. 

Maybe I have a value that's off...

They're the pros at this and I'm sure they wouldn't take a penalty for exceeding the 5%. 

Especially by 9k. Maybe Vance wasn’t 4mm exactly and they rounded? Someone would be in hot water if we lost a pick or something for exceeding by 9k. 

32 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Especially by 9k. Maybe Vance wasn’t 4mm exactly and they rounded? Someone would be in hot water if we lost a pick or something for exceeding by 9k. 

I think the penalty ended up costing $15,847 or 75% of the overage.  Why teams didn't do this more often is beyond me.

_draft penalty.jpg

On 8/1/2024 at 12:59 PM, Too Tall said:

Over slot. Not much but still. Another Boras client and Boras needs the money and reputation! 😀  Hope the kid is worth it! 

The only thing that matters to me is that we signed every one of our picks.   That’s a nice infusion of talent including some guys with pretty high upside.   I can’t wait until I start seeing some names in the box scores.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Is the 75% tax on the 5% overage or on exceeding the 5% overage? 

1 hour ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Is the 75% tax on the 5% overage or on exceeding the 5% overage? 

I believe it’s on the 5% overage.  I’m now seeing that the reported numbers add up to slightly more than the 5% overage so one of the reported figures must actually be $9K lower.

9 hours ago, linedrive said:

Any word on if or when the new draftees will be playing this season, and for what teams? I'm guessing some of the college guys will be in Delmarva or Aberdeen, but I haven't seen anything yet.

No one ever starts at Aberdeen in their draft year.    Honeycutt, O’Ferrall, Anderson, Stafford (5), and Tuft (8) will get workouts in Sarasota, go to Delmarva, and maybe even go to Aberdeen before the end of the season.   I assume most of the others just stay in Sarasota.  

Best guess on when is probably within the next 10 days for everyone but Honeycutt who was the last to sign.

It wouldn’t be a surprise if we don’t see any of the pitchers go to Delmarva.

Edited by RZNJ