Who will pay Burnes $400M this offseason?

psagawa

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll agree that New York could use a third team and Boston a second.  But I'd still put Washington above a number of cities that have a MLB team.  Tampa for instance since I'm right here.  Milwaukee, Kansas City, Cleveland, these are all playoff teams with lower market scores than Baltimore.

Right those are all small market teams. I want our team to have greater financial abilities than that. I thought that’s what this conversation was about. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Right those are all small market teams. I want our team to have greater financial abilities than that. I thought that’s what this conversation was about. 

I thought about it was about folks still whining about how the Nationals moved nearby and how the team is at such a huge disadvantage because MLB screwed over the Orioles?

29 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If he would take the Nola contract that would be amazing. But that sounds like a hometown deal. Doubt we get that with him being here only one year. We’ll need to be the best offer, or very close. 6/180-200 is where they probably need to be prepared to go. It’s still probably worth it because they’ve not established any pitching pipeline. All arms still have to come from outside the organization. 

There is no "hometown" discount nor there should be one. He was a mercenary brought in on the last year of his deal. Of course we will have to offer the most money. I was speaking in terms of if Nola's deal was the max offer he would receive.

Either way if we don't sign Burnes we need to acquire someone to anchor the top of our rotation. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought about it was about folks still whining about how the Nationals moved nearby and how the team is at such a huge disadvantage because MLB screwed over the Orioles?

You’re going from 7th best market, and 4th best single team market to the 20th best market when we’re discussing if we can spend 200M on an ace SP. Why would that not come up?

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

You’re going from 7th best market, and 4th best single team market to the 20th best market when we’re discussing if we can spend 200M on an ace SP. Why would that not come up?

Because they can spend it either way?

I just don't see the point about whining about inequities in sport, you have them in all our sports, even the ones with caps.  A market that size, a market that educated and that wealthy, it deserves two teams.  A bigger issue is why NY only has two teams.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because they can spend it either way?

I just don't see the point about whining about inequities in sport, you have them in all our sports, even the ones with caps.  A market that size, a market that educated and that wealthy, it deserves two teams.  A bigger issue is why NY only has two teams.

They can but then you’re talking about limiting yourself in the future. How many high dollar contracts can you reasonably take on? If they could market themselves into northern VA, the answer might be one extra. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

They can but then you’re talking about limiting yourself in the future. How many high dollar contracts can you reasonably take on? If they could market themselves into northern VA, the answer might be one extra. 

OK?

Make smart decisions.

I'm honestly confused.

Whats the problem?  That a team got moved into the O's territory twenty years ago?  A territory that was Washington's alone before they were gracious enough to let the Orioles move in?

How much did the Ravens have to pay the Redskins to move in next door?