Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

20 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

You're not alone. Defense is more overrated than ever with pitchers having such a huge advantage over hitters. Stud offensive players are the most rare commidity there is in today's game, and Kjerstad is the type of hitter who can be an elite 40+ HR bat.

I might be willing to trade him and a couple other smaller pieces like Stowers and Beavers for Skubal, but that's it. I don't think that's enough for the Tigers, and I don't think the Tigers wind up moving Skubal anyway.

I find it pretty unreasonable that so many OH posters are so willing to trade Kjerstad based on his defense, as if he'll never improve. Many of the same posters criticized Cowser's defense last season, and he's elite now. Cowser is a much better defensive outfielder than Kjerstad, but there was an acclimation period that he needed. Kjerstad is likely getting used to MLB parks and Oriole Park as well. 

The team can hide Kjerstad in RF, 1B, and DH next season. I want to keep him, and I hope Elias's conservative approach of only dealing from the organization's depth continues.  

The defensive issues for HK were very present in both college and in the MiL. This isn't a new thing for him. He's always been pretty awful in the field whereas CC was a great defensive CF in college (less of great in the minors but still very good). I've watched a lot of both of them and the ability to play the field between the two of them is night and day. 

38 minutes ago, banks703 said:

The defensive issues for HK were very present in both college and in the MiL. This isn't a new thing for him. He's always been pretty awful in the field whereas CC was a great defensive CF in college (less of great in the minors but still very good). I've watched a lot of both of them and the ability to play the field between the two of them is night and day. 

I already said that Cowser is a much better defender than Kjerstad in my post. My point, which you clearly missed, was that there was an adjustment period for Cowser, and Kjerstad should also be given some time to adjust in the field. Kjerstad can get better, even if he's never going to be a good defender. But the bat has the potential to be special and more than make up for the bad/mediocre defense.

12 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I already said that Cowser is a much better defender than Kjerstad in my post. My point, which you clearly missed, was that there was an adjustment period for Cowser, and Kjerstad should also be given some time to adjust in the field. Kjerstad can get better, even if he's never going to be a good defender. But the bat has the potential to be special and more than make up for the bad/mediocre defense.

No, I read what you wrote. What YOU missed is where I pointed out that HK has a looooong history of being a poor defender whereas CC has a lengthy history of being a plus defender and at a more premium outfield position. It was reasonable to believe that CC would improve because of his track record. The same cannot be said for HK.