Ronnie Welty

oldfan

Welty's chances are of making it are awfully small as a 20th round pick who was not a large bonus baby who slipped in the draft.

His BB/k rates are worrisome, but they did improve dramatically over the season. Also, I've ready multiple times in Baseball America that this guy oozes tools in a Hunter Pence-like body.

IMO, at the end of the day, you can't ask for much more upside in a cheap 20th round pick that what Joe Jordan has found here regardless of how Welty turns out.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First I will say I do not know anything about Wealty. But the Juco comments have my interest. Wasn't Pujols a later round Juco guy? I am not saying that Wealty can hold his strap but I had never really thought being a JUCO guy meant much in the baseball community, am I wrong?

Welty's chances are of making it are awfully small as a 20th round pick who was not a large bonus baby who slipped in the draft.

His BB/k rates are worrisome, but they did improve dramatically over the season. Also, I've ready multiple times in Baseball America that this guy oozes tools in a Hunter Pence-like body.

IMO, at the end of the day, you can't ask for much more upside in a cheap 20th round pick that what Joe Jordan has found here regardless of how Welty turns out.

Hopefully, Julio Vinas is working with him and making the kind of progress with him as he seems to have made with Tyler Henson http://masnsports.com/2009/04/talking-about-the-hitters-at-m.html . It's not just about talent; it's also about player development. Of course, it's nice when the raw talent is closer to Hunter Pence than to an average minor leaguer.

First I will say I do not know anything about Wealty. But the Juco comments have my interest. Wasn't Pujols a later round Juco guy? I am not saying that Wealty can hold his strap but I had never really thought being a JUCO guy meant much in the baseball community, am I wrong?

Pujols was a 13th round JuCo. JuCos definitely have their place and should be look upon as talent . . . but, yeah, of course DI schools are better places to look.

Pujols was a 13th round JuCo. JuCos definitely have their place and should be look upon as talent . . . but, yeah, of course DI schools are better places to look.

As I stated earlier, JuCos are also tough for scouts with regards to position players because the talent is so uneven. You can look at a pitcher and gauge his stuff and mechanics regardless of who he is facing. It's often times tough to get a read on position players when the pitching can be so variable.

Archived