AL playoff picture

eddie83

An exciting couple weeks for the Royals opens with a doubleheader at Cleveland beginning this afternoon - Cole Ragans leads it off.

They have an 8-game week at Cleveland and at Houston, then Cleveland and Minnesota come in to Kansas City Labor Day week.

ESPN has Red Sox at 24 percent and Mariners at 16 percent as outsiders looking in with 5 weeks to go.

5 weeks left 

AL Playoff Picture

EAST                              GB               GL
NY        77-54                                   31
BAL       76-56               1.5               30
BOS      67-62               9.0              33

CENTRAL
CLE         75-55             - -               32
MINN      72- 58            3.0              32
KC           72- 58            3.0             32

WEST
HOU        70-60            - -                 32
SEA          66-65           4.5                31

WC
BAL         76-56
MINN       72-58
KC.           72-58
—————————————————
BOS          67-62            4.5

SCHEDULES

BAL 

@LAD (3) @COL (3)
———————————-
CWS (3) TB (3)
@BOS (3) @DET (3)
SF (3) DET (3)
@NYY (3) @MIN (3)

NYY 

@WAS (3) STL 3
——————————
@TEX (3) @ CHC (3)
KC (3) BOS (4)
@SEA (3) @OAK (3)
BAL (3) PIT (3)

BOS

TOR (5) @DET(3)
——————————-
@NYM (3) CWS (3)
BAL (3) @NYY (4)
@TB (3) MINN (3)
@TOR (3) TB (3)

——————————————————————
CLE

KC(4) PIT (3)
———————————
@KC (3) @LAD (3)
@CWS (3) TB (4)
MINN (4) @STL (3)
CIN (2) HOU (3) 

MINN

ATL (3) TOR (3)
———————————
@TB (4) @KC (3)
LAA (3) CIN (3)
@CLE (4) @BOS (3)
MIA (3) BAL (3) 

KC

@CLE (4) @HOU (4)
———————————-
CLE (3) MIN (3)
@NYY (3) @PIT (3)
DET (3) SF (3)
@WAS (3) @ATL (3) 

————————————————————

SEA

TB (3) @LAA (3)
——————————-
@OAK (4) @STL (3)
SD (2) TEX (4)
NYY (3) @TEX (3)
@HOU (3) OAK (3) 

HOU

@PHI (3) KC (4)
——————————-
@CIN (3) ARZ(3)
OAK (3) @LAA (3)
SD (3) LAA (4)
SEA (3) @CLE (3)

It looks like we are the only AL playoff contender with 132 games complete.

I think that is a blessing as today it feels like about half the playoff roster is either hurt, de-loading, or needs to.

With 35 regular season days to play, Corbin Burnes's initial turn is on Day 3 of 35.

Accelerated 4 days of rest cadence could be 3-8-13-18-23-28-33

Decelerated 5 days of rest cadence might be 3-9-15-21-27-33

It will be a mix as the Yankee Stadium series is Days 30-31-32.    He'd need to go Day 31 Wednesday to be on probably preferred 5 days rest for ALWC Game 1 the following Tuesday.

Honestly at this point I am not that concerned with playoff standings.  We are not good enough as constructed to over take the Yankees for the division but also have a big enough cushion that the Red Sox won’t catch us.  I am more looking for news about when guys might be returning.  Will Efflin and Webb be back by the time we head home from the road trip.  When is GRod going to go on a rehab assignment?  If when will Coulumbe be back?  Will Westburg be back before the last week of the season?  If those guys come back sooner then later we can maybe catch the Yankees or at least be there last week of season.  If they don’t come back then might get bit dicey if Red Sox get hot but either way the playoffs don’t look promising when we get in with those injuries.  

• Upvote 2

@eddie83 I’d like to just drop a quick note of thanks for this ongoing thread. It’s time consuming to collect and share all this information and I’m grateful.

That last series with the Yankees looms large. If the Os are within 3 games when they meet, the Division will still be in play.

Just walk Judge twelve times, and they will be fine.

3 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

@eddie83 I’d like to just drop a quick note of thanks for this ongoing thread. It’s time consuming to collect and share all this information and I’m grateful.

That last series with the Yankees looms large. If the Os are within 3 games when they meet, the Division will still be in play.

Just walk Judge twelve times, and they will be fine.

Appreciate that. Thanks!

24 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Red Sox doing Red Sox things again.  1-0 in 8th man on 1st possible double play ball botched for error to give Jays 1st and second then call to bull pen and 4 pitches later two doubles and down 4-0. 

BOS just lost. 
KC beat CLE. 

With all the talk about how many teams were in the race at the deadline it is looking like we know the 7 teams that are gonna be in the playoffs it will just be positioning for the top 2 spots and wild cards.  Astros seem locked in at 3 because someone from East and Central should finish ahead of them playing each other so much.  It would be nice if they still had the waiver deadline to pick up a guy or two and sure some teams would like to deal off few guys now they are out of it.  

Every week it seems the team I would prefer to play is changing.  Right now I would love to get the Guardians in playoffs even with that great bullpen.  It is starting to wear down and their starting rotation is just so bad I am not sure they can get them close enough for it to matter.  Their offense is struggling as well with Fry dropping off.  JRam is great and Naylor is always tough for us but none of the other guys scare you and the bottom of lineup is atrocious.  

• Upvote 1