I think bringing in Kimbrel in the ninth was a very stupid decision.He should NOT have been in the game at all tonight.

Not as though we had any other options,but Kimbrel was awful yesterday and threw 28 pitches before (with defensive miscues) he coughed up the lead. I think Kimbrel cant be trusted with the game on the line any more. This wasnt some bump in the road, the guy just cant get the job done.Ive been resistant to trade for a rental in Tanner Scott,but unless the asking price is too high, we need to make a change and make Kimbrel a middle reliever. He's had a fine career, but he's done. We saw the exact same Kimbrel in the second half of last season too. He simply shouldn't get the ball anymore when it matters most.

• Upvote 3

The Orioles have a manager problem at this point. Hyde can take you here, but no further. His team is too talented to be playing like this. He doesn't know how to change things up to break a slump. He is not a good X and O's manager. He has been pushing the wrong buttons repeatedly.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Not as though we had any other options,but Kimbrel was awful yesterday and threw 28 pitches before (with defensive miscues) he coughed up the lead. I think Kimbrel cant be trusted with the game on the line any more. This wasnt some bump in the road, the guy just cant get the job done.Ive been resistant to trade for a rental in Tanner Scott,but unless the asking price is too high, we need to make a change and make Kimbrel a middle reliever. He's had a fine career, but he's done. We saw the exact same Kimbrel in the second half of last season too. He simply shouldn't get the ball anymore when it matters most.

I agree with you Roy! It wasn't a save situation. Therefore, why was he in the game. I would look for another closer as well. I would make Craig a 7th inning guy.

14 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

The Orioles have a manager problem at this point. Hyde can take you here, but no further. His team is too talented to be playing like this. He doesn't know how to change things up to break a slump. He is not a good X and O's manager. He has been pushing the wrong buttons repeatedly.

Did he push the wrong button tonight...yes.   Repeatedly?  No.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Did he push the wrong button tonight...yes.   Repeatedly?  No.

He batted Mullins for Norby, who is doing better at the plate, just for match-up purposes. He brought Kimbrel in a hihg-leverage situation after throwing 29 pitches the night before. So at least two times.

49 pitches in 2 nights is very heavy usage for a guy like Kimbrel.  Kimbrel with his repeated collapses earlier in the year sent the strong message that he can't be trusted with heavy usage.  I guess he's ok w/ back to back appearances if they are quick appearances, but Hyde should have known that he was asking for an explosion by having Kimbrel pitch the day after he threw 28 pitches.  Why not use Cano who only threw 6 pitches yesterday?

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

49 pitches in 2 nights is very heavy usage for a guy like Kimbrel.  Kimbrel with his repeated collapses earlier in the year sent the strong message that he can't be trusted with heavy usage.  I guess he's ok w/ back to back appearances if they are quick appearances, but Hyde should have known that he was asking for an explosion by having Kimbrel pitch the day after he threw 28 pitches.  Why not use Cano who only threw 6 pitches yesterday?

You were getting Kimbrel in the 9th or 10th.

Another reactionary thread from Roy. It is the same situation that everyone complained about in the wildcard series where Britton wasn’t brought in to hold the tie. Yes, Kimbrel has been spotty and struggled last night but it wasn’t a terrible decision to bring him in. Hindsight is 20/20.  Cano would have been my option but all well. The team just needs to get their shit together as a whole. It is a team game and sometimes one guy messes up, it is just more impactful when it is a pitcher and when it is a closer. 

a. SOP is now to have closer work 9th and then go other relievers in extras. 

b. Cano is more effective vs RHs and Padres had Arraez, Profar, Cronenworth as hitters in the 9th.  

I see no issues with decision to have Kimbrel pitch the 9th. Given the LH Padre hitters, if anything, Perez would make best alternative but he just had just thrown 2 days in a row. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LockUpTheGunner said:

I agree with you Roy! It wasn't a save situation. Therefore, why was he in the game. I would look for another closer as well. I would make Craig a 7th inning guy.

7th inning or 9th inning. Doesn’t matter. Our SP only went 5 IP so that means we have to at least have 4 pitchers out the pen pitch to complete the game. 

Grayson is not a #2. He’s a #3.5. His WAR this year supports that. 

6 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

You can’t play pieces you don’t have. The game was lost for several reasons beginning with your team is no longer play sound defensive. Starting with your All-Star SS. Then they are playing Kjerstad who looks shaky on all most every play hit in his direction. Not too mention he just looks slow out there. Kimbrel seems to either be really good or really bad and is another reason we lost. Further, the team’s hitting approach is poor. But, in the world of analytics I doubt seriously that directive is coming from Hyde. Opposing teams know most everyone here is swinging at the first pitch … so it’s not going to be a good one.

I don’t know if Hyde is the manager to take us to the World Series but he’s certainly can’t be blamed for this mess. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

7th inning or 9th inning. Doesn’t matter. Our SP only went 5 IP so that means we have to at least have 4 pitchers out the pen pitch to complete the game. 

Grayson is not a #2. He’s a #3.5. His WAR this year supports that. 

And too think someone here Said he’d be our ACE next year when Burnes leaves 😂

Not resigning Burnes will be another monumental mistake. 

Edited by Roll Tide