There is no joy in Mudville... for now

Greg Pappas

I use to get pretty hot about losing streaks in the late 90’s. You can probably find many old threads with me being a complete mental case about it. But now, at 53 years old I just gotta laugh. It is baseball, and streaks happen. Now, what I did last night after the L was find some comfort in watching 2 great pitchers battle in the 1979 ALCS game 1. I might suggest some folks do the same. It is baseball, streaks happen. 

• Upvote 3

I am choosing to consider this seasoning for a young team facing a lot of adversity.

On the other side, they'll be better for it. Like a cast iron skillet you keep forever, but is still a bit new.

• Upvote 1

All of what has and is happening to the Orioles is why I have refused to get caught up in WS talk or even playoff talk because so much can happen in a 162-game schedule. Heck we had a magic number thread even before July. We've been guaranteed we'd make the playoffs by a frequent poster who has an answer no matter what. All of this is just noise to me. Check mid-September and see where we are. This team has been hit - is not hitting as it should - and really has to regroup with its pitching. All while facing a little over one third of its season to go while still in first place. And, I ain't crazy about today's pitching match-up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus double trouble tomorrow.

Never-the-less, I for one in Mudville, still have JOY. I love baseball and this year is no different. I am intersted in how this will all play out. We will learn a lot about our players and our organizational leadership over the next few months. If you live and die with streaks or WS/playoffs or bust, I hope you have good primary medical coverage.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

Pitching a problem no doubt. We also stop hitting. We had 4 hits yesterday.  We need to catch fire now or it's going to be another first round exit.

I agree. BUT, let's get to the first round before we worry about exits. There are still 58 games to play! I ain't assuming anything.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SouthernBird said:

I use to get pretty hot about losing streaks in the late 90’s. You can probably find many old threads with me being a complete mental case about it. But now, at 53 years old I just gotta laugh. It is baseball, and streaks happen. Now, what I did last night after the L was find some comfort in watching 2 great pitchers battle in the 1979 ALCS game 1. I might suggest some folks do the same. It is baseball, streaks happen. 

Even among perennial winning teams a year like last year is the exception, not the rule.  This team has faced much more adversity than last year’s just from injuries alone.  Heck, the ‘83 Orioles had two seven-game losing streaks and another separate stretch where they went 5-12.  The ‘82 O’s started 2-10.  The ‘97 O’s had a 7-12 stretch and a 6-11 stretch.  

I still have a good feeling about this team.  Fire forges steel!  Get those boys in early today and have em watch the the losing is a disease video from The Natural.  Then right before they send those kids out today...give em a look at this kid.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I still have a good feeling about this team.  Fire forges steel!  Get those boys in early today and have em watch the the losing is a disease video from The Natural.  Then right before they send those kids out today...give em a look at this kid.

Or you could show them this from the greatest college baseball coach who ever lived....

#tusksup!

Edited by Jim'sKid26

17 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

The final lines in 'Casey at the Bat', by Ernest Lawrence Thayer:

Oh, somewhere in Land of Pleasant Living the sun is shining bright,.  

I fixed the first line for you. 

And as Ben pointed out in the pre-game, even the '83 O's had their troubles, ie. two 8-game losing streaks. I feel confident the ship will be righted. 

• Upvote 1

Well, imagine that...5-5 since the all-star break, cold bats heating up, picked up a decent #3 starter, got a good bullpen arm, still time to do more dealing...it turns out the sky is NOT actually falling!! 😮