O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

44 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It might have made sense to trade for Rogers in the offseason, but the O's needed a SP who could help w/ their playoff run.  I don't think Fedde or Anderson would have cost much more, in fact the WS return for Fedde seems to be less than Norby/Stowers.  As bereft of talent other than Crochet that the WS are, they should have been able to use at least one of Norby or Stowers and then add an appropriate prospect.

Elias whiffed on Rogers by not getting Fedde.

31 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Those of us who thought he was crap when the trade was made are done with him, yes.....

And Saurez didn't exactly impress out of the pen- maybe flip the two and have Suarez start with Rogers relieve?

You’re really a doctor?   A highly educated man?   Really?

15 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

Since we're going with small sample sizes:  Stowers has 6 ABs with Miami and 6 strike outs.  Nor by is in AAA.   Sounds like the Orioles won the trade thus far.

This trade was horrible before Rogers even threw a pitch today. His past few seasons of failure are not a SSS. 

As far as I can tell, the best thing Rogers had going for him is that the Orioles decided to trade for him — youngish, under control for a couple seasons, and apparently desired by one of the smarter FOs in the league.

Otherwise, based on the predictive measures available to us, there never seemed to be much reason to expect much more than we saw today. Everything in the profile seems to scream SP5.

The hope with him has to be that with an extended period to work with him, they can make some changes that will raise the ceiling — but that seems a little unlikely between now and October. 

Surprise a crappy starter in Miami is still a crappy starter for Baltimore

The O's now missing Westburg are going to  struggle to sneak in as a WC and who cares we're not going to win anything.

Honeymoon over, end of season we can have a critical look at Elias and he has made many mistakes managing this roster.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Either one would have better worlds better than Rogers.  The extra year of control doesn't help if Rogers sucks.  Hopeful that Elias and co. can make some improvement but their record with pitching really hasn't been that good.

This. . I agree, everyone is talking about having team control for 2 more years like it's a good thing. It's not if he' sn't any good. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

This. . I agree, everyone is talking about having team control for 2 more years like it's a good thing. It's not if he' sn't any good. 

It's control not a guaranteed contract so it's not a bad thing even if they cut him.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's control not a guaranteed contract so it's not a bad thing even if they cut him.

My opinion: If the eventually DFA/cut him like they did Irvin, it would be bad because of what we gave up to get him. Those same assets were more valuable in other places. Even if a better deal with another team wasn't available (I think it would have been in the offseason) Norby could have been helpful with Westburg and Mateo injured for a significant amount of time.

• Upvote 1