O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

4 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

I view it as we got Eflin and Rogers for Norby, Stowers, Horvath, Baumeister, and Etzel. Overall, I like that. I don't care who was for who.

Yeah I thought the Eflin trade was pretty good for the Os considering what we gave up.   But that is nullified by what I consider an overpay for Rogers. 

I mean is Rogers that much better than Eflin that trading for him would demand giving up what I would consider a higher price for him?

It would seem the opposite to me if anything. Eflin seems like the better pitcher by far.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

46 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Isn’t Vavra terrible?

And if he’s coming up, that means Holliday is not?

Look for Holliday around September 15th. We are not going to use up his rookie eligibility at this point.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If you think about this trade just from the point of whether the team is better today than it was yesterday, the answer to that is yes.

Rogers is better than Povich or McDermott (who needs to start being developed as a reliever) right now and this allows the Orioles to move Suarez to the bullpen where he should help out a beleaguered group. 

As for Rogers, he's a 5th starter with some upside if he can refind some things, but my concern is that he had shoulder and bicep injuries last year and he's lost about a MPH or two since last year. In his last three starts he's average around 91 MPH on his fastball. His changeup is clearly his best pitch but his slider is pretty bad so if he's not commanding the fastball/changeup mix, he's going to have a short day.

Despite his lack of velocity, he has pitched pretty well over his last 11 starts, pitching to a 3.32 ERA and holding batters to a .244/.316/.403/.719. However, his FIP was 4.46 over that same period and his .270 BABIP suggest he's been a bit lucky. His statcast info is just plain ugly this year, but was decent last year in his 4 starts and was really good in 2021. 

Both Norby and Stowers were blocked here, but I think they are going to both become good major league regulars, especially if teams can live with Norby's defense at 2B. But let's face it, they are the kinds of guys you move to improve your team. 

Now would I have liked a more impactful pitcher, sure, but he's controllable and cheap over the next two seasons and if he can be solid #4 or #5, that's worth giving up two guys that were blocked. 

I really would have liked if they got an impact reliever, but it seems the price tag on these guys are pretty insane. 

Eflin with the #3 that will start in the playoffs for this team and the better of Kremer or Rogers would be the #4 if needed. You also have to wonder if Suarez will get some chances to close if he pitches well in relief. If Suarez can be the impact reliever this team needs, then the trade looks eve better.

I wonder if they plan to scrap the slider (or try to turn it into a harder cutter), and just up the changeup usage dramatically. For a lefty SP whose only good pitch is a changeup, he sure should be throwing it a lot more than 23% of the time.  

Just now, Malike said:

They broke down the trade on the radio. Called Stowers a 2nd division OF and said Norby's upside is a .250 bat with 15 HR pop and was the prize of the trade for Miami.

I’m not concerned myself about who we gave up. I’m fine with the deal. 

I just wanted more impact. Even if that was a pen arm.  

Just now, CaptainRedbeard said:

I wonder if they plan to scrap the slider (or try to turn it into a harder cutter), and just up the changeup usage dramatically. For a lefty SP whose only good pitch is a changeup, he sure should be throwing it a lot more than 23% of the time.  

It would not surprise me if they change his pitch usage. They also may have him go with his 4-seamer a lot more often than the sinker. He's got real good spin rate on his low 90s fastball and that along with his extension helps it play up. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

MLBN not high for Orioles. Verducci and O’Dowd saying too much about 25 and not 24.  

Yeah that is pretty much what I said above.  For not getting any playoff help?  Which Rogers is not....it was too much.  Just sign a Rogers type of player in the off season and it cost you nothing but $$$.  There are many out there of his caliber.

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

MLBN not high for Orioles. Verducci and O’Dowd saying too much about 25 and not 24.  

Just saw that too.

Verducci surprised me saying he thought Alex Cobb a better playoff option this year.

O'Dowd's scenario was does Stowers/Norby and a 3rd guy unlock somebody off Seattle.

Think this was a good trade. We already have 1-3 covered in the rotation, it’s about adding a bit around the margins with solid upside, both this year and in the future. 
Also helps unblock either Mayo or Holliday.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

They broke down the trade on the radio. Called Stowers a 2nd division OF and said Norby's upside is a .250 bat with 15 HR pop and was the prize of the trade for Miami.

When the radio speaks.....I listen. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Just saw that too.

Verducci surprised me saying he thought Alex Cobb a better playoff option this year.

O'Dowd's scenario was does Stowers/Norby and a 3rd guy unlock somebody off Seattle.

No, because Seattle is a contender. They’re not trading their arms.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Just saw that too.

I can’t imagine those 2 plus one more does. Why would Seattle do that? I disagreed with him there. Maybe Hancock in some kind of a deal. 

1 minute ago, survivedc said:

Think this was a good trade. We already have 1-3 covered in the rotation, it’s about adding a bit around the margins with solid upside, both this year and in the future. 
Also helps unblock either Mayo or Holliday.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Bringing up Vavra just says nope that they are not concerned about Mayo or Holliday.